U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 07:02 AM

13,080 posts, read 16,282,204 times

Advertisements

I have a very GOOD friend I've known for years....diagnosed with bi-polar since very young. NEVER was there "self harm" or bad spending habits involved...just ups and downs (sometimes quite severe) with depression.
When your friend spaces out for 15 seconds or so....if she's not deep in thought, it sounds more like mini strokes.
She sounds (to me) more like she's been truamatized by past relationships, and now has a fear of unfaithfulness.
When she tells you she loves you...by all means reciprocate (if you feel the same)...maybe her not wanting you to say those words is her way of offering you a way out..(which you're taking).....so TELL HER how you feel.
Maybe she needs to hear those words because she doesn't believe them herself.
Hugging, showing and TELLING someone you care for them can only trigger feelings of anxiety and stress (her trigger?) in someone who disbelieves you.
Good luck to you, I hope everything works out for you and her.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 08:00 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,150,385 times
Could be just BD, if it's BPD...watch out! they turn violent (BD as well but BPD is more physical violence)

Old 11-02-2015, 09:10 PM

137 posts, read 114,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
If she doesn't self harm she most likely doesn't have BPD.

They are changing the name of BPD to ERD anyway.

Emotional Regulation Disorder.

It's much more accurate and less judgey than BPD.
Nonsense. BPD is a spectrum and physical self-harm is just more on the extreme end (unless you're including other indirectly self-destructive or high-risk behaviors as "self-harm") As you can certainly be an over-emotional Jekyll/Hyde...without cutting yourself.

But I would agree that "Borderline" sounds almost too demented and maniacal. Not to downplay the condition, but it's more "simply" about being so easily overcome with powerful emotion that all rational reason is clouded over...and then reacting like a hurt, frightened child - in an adult body. Which can actually get "maniacal" in bad cases - so certainly should be taken seriously and not underestimated, either!

Anyhow, to the OP - if she's BPD, then you may likely be a White Knight Rescuer. That's one typical codependent pairing, at least. So if she needs healing, then so do you!
Quote:
Rescuing Yourself from Your Need to Rescue Others
Are you a "White Knight?" Are you attracted to needy, damaged, or helpless people? Do you feel like your love can heal your partner? Are you overly involved in your partner's problems? Are you hungry for constant reassurance in relationships? Do you make excuses for your partner? Do you try to "save" people from themselves?

Last edited by pinemon; 11-02-2015 at 09:19 PM..

Old 11-03-2015, 06:53 AM

10,194 posts, read 7,659,102 times
Why does everyone seem to think their ex has BPD?

Old 11-03-2015, 07:32 AM

13,080 posts, read 16,282,204 times
maybe because it's easier than looking at the relationship they have, and don't understand.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:31 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,067,310 times
BPDs are the demons in the mental health world.

Why this is so, is beyond me.

BPD = Emotional PTSD.

It doesn't make you a bad person, mean to your partner or loved ones, or any of that crap it gets the blame for.

A lot of the behaviours I read blamed on BPD, seem more narcissistic to me.

But what do I know, im not qualified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or