U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 10:15 PM

47 posts, read 59,934 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to take wellbutrin to help with my depression. I just saw a post some someone who had taken many types of antidepressant. He said he can't stop taking antidepressant because when he stop, he get major depression again. Is this true?

"I took medicines for anxiety, but they are also used as antidepressants.
Celexa did nothing for me.
Effexor did much better, but it was the beginning of my nightmare.
Paxil did the best. It made me feel SO good. I was SO content with everything. But it is the reason I stopped taking medicines.

The withdrawal from all of these is a pure hell. I STRONGLY suggest finding another way to deal with it.
Really. I'm serious. If you miss a single dose, you will KNOW within a few hours. I tried to quit my pills more than 5 times. I finally threw them all out and dealt with it. I would not go through that again for anything.
Now that I know what it's like 'on the other side', I PREFER to attempt to ignore my anxiety."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 06:49 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,357,874 times
Some people need medication for life (I'm one of them--I take a mood stabilizer, it will be 10 years in January that I've taken a mood stabilizer). I'm perfectly happy with it too, it works great and I'm doing well.

Before that, I spent several years taking anti-anxiety prescriptions (SSRI medication, like the ones that you've named). They'd work for a few months, then I'd be taken off them. Then within a few months, terrible anxiety would come back. So SSRIs didn't really work for me, and I ended up needing a mood stabilizer.

I never had noticeable withdrawal symptoms or anything like that. You "titrate" off medication when you stop taking it--that is to say, you gradually reduce the dose a little at a time each day, so that your body doesn't experience bad side effects. The only one that really gave me a problem was Effexor, which gave me headaches if I missed a dose, so I had the doctor take me off that one pretty quickly.

Otherwise, a dry mouth is about all you'll likely experience with the meds. Maybe some "zaps" when you begin a prescription--zaps are a minor sensation like tiny electric shocks, that you might experience, just barely noticeable, like just a handful of times during the first couple of days taking the new med. They feel like a tiny zap or twinge in your head that lasts only a second. Some people get them at first, but they go away fast.

This has been my experience. There are a lot of people who've been taking psychiatric medications over long periods, without any major negative effects.

That's my experience anyway. Everyone has a different experience with medication. It might take some time to find a prescription or a dose that works the best for you. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2015, 10:06 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,420,696 times
I took both an anti depressent and mood stabilizer for about eight years. It was started because of deep depression over life problems. The mood stabilizer wasn't added until it was noted that I went from really deep depression to much less and back on a regular basis.

In theory it was helping. So long as the situation triggering it was there nothing was going to fix it. But I felt like a stranger. I couldn't connect with the parts of myself which gave me satisfaction. I couldn't connect emotionally with my crafts or writing and these were necessary and important parts of me.

I started backing out of the drugs, taking it very very very slowly. The doctor noticed I seemed 'better' but I didn't say I was backing out of them At some point, taking almost none, I realized I didn't need any of it. I was taking such a small amount I felt no effects at all when stopping them all.

What I rediscovered was the ways I'd managed things before and how the normally only small dips and rises could be 'managed' fine without drugs. I take nothing for either now. I have learned (or relearned) to use self awarness of where I am and the things which can alter it. But I feel like me again even if there are times when I am more up and when I'm moping.

I don't think I could have done this without the meds at the time I started taking them with the major life trauma. And I couldn't have if I'd stuck around in that situation. But when it was done, the pills were just keeping me in a drugged high. I'm biolar 2, but the shifts are also very regular and mild and almost clocklike so when I a bit down I know all I have to do is wait it out and it changes.

If life is in an emergency state and you are not functioning, meds can help. But be your own advocate, and find a support group to share with you trust. I reccomend the Bipolar and Depressive Support Association. They meet weekly, and everything is private. They aren't a medical therapy but sometimes listening to other people's story and relating or having someone listening to you and care is what open your own door of understanding. And when you start feeling the 'up' is too up and the 'down' is stimulated by real things and your way of dealing is a pill and making them vanish, but not dealing with the why, then its time to reevaluate the need for pills and that good support group or therapist. Or if you know how to self sooth, practice. But be aware of when your letting a pill make your problems go away since they'll dog you until they catch you anyway.

Pills do have a place but too often doctors see the only place is life long drugs where perhaps their real use for you is to get you past the mountaintop and then back to self management.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:27 PM

4,287 posts, read 3,151,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwan View Post
I'm starting to take wellbutrin to help with my depression. I just saw a post some someone who had taken many types of antidepressant. He said he can't stop taking antidepressant because when he stop, he get major depression again. Is this true?

Paxil did the best. It made me feel SO good. I was SO content with everything. But it is the reason I stopped taking medicines.

The withdrawal from all of these is a pure hell. I STRONGLY suggest finding another way to deal with it.
Really. I'm serious. If you miss a single dose, you will KNOW within a few hours. I tried to quit my pills more than 5 times. I finally threw them all out and dealt with it. I would not go through that again for anything.
Now that I know what it's like 'on the other side', I PREFER to attempt to ignore my anxiety."

From what I read you need to taper off of SSRIs very slowly. Just stopping is not recommended, I can only imagine how awful it was if you stopped cold turkey.

Still they're very helpful for some people. Everyone needs to make their own decision about what's best for them.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:30 PM

13,238 posts, read 10,793,656 times
Yes, some people get addicted to the meds and find that it takes YEARS to wean themselves off!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-a...rawal_syndrome

Old 10-22-2015, 12:40 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,069,900 times
I'm on antidepressants and they are a literal life saver.

If you have the problem of depression its usually =

1. an episode that is circumstance based and will pass when circumstances improve
2. genetically based = your brain is built that way

Either way I have come to view antidepressant medication as essential to recovery for MOST people.

Some folks in the 1. category may be able survive a depressive episode without it.

Folks in the 2. category are pretty much like diabetics = you are lacking in serotonin and need it medically replaced. All the walks and positive thinking in the world wont help.

By the way, as an aside - they tried changing my meds earlier in the year.

Turns out the antidepressant they put me on NEARLY KILLED ME. and im not even joking.

The side effects were extreme but included a vomiting illness that saw me virtually unable to even walk.

Nasty gear, that was (it mighve been Lexapro)...yet on Zoloft I have zero side effects.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:25 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,357,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Yes, some people get addicted to the meds and find that it takes YEARS to wean themselves off!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-a...rawal_syndrome
Most of the sources cited in that Wikipedia article are 10 years old or more. That's ancient research.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:06 AM

6,322 posts, read 5,075,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwan View Post

Everyone is different. The "SSRIs" are usually tougher to come off than others.

Wellbutrin is NOT an SSRI.

The person you are quoting looks like they ONLY took SSRIs (and one SNRI which is similar to an SSRI.)

You might need it forever and there is NOTHING wrong with that! Don't let your mind convince you otherwise! An you might only need then for a few months. Or you might go on and off them throughout your life.

Remember: It is not a bad thing to be on meds. It is an EXCELLENT thing when your depression becomes less intense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or