U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 02:57 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,898,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
This is California, we do not come out of a winter right now (or ever).

He is sick enough to have SOMETHING, whatever it is. He didn't go to work for 3 days this week and luckily his boss is aware and okay with the depression.

On his next checkup I will tell him to have his vitamin D levels checked. I wish there would be a bipolar blood test!
Have them do a complete blood panel. Make sure he says he wants Vitamin D, Iron and Vitamin B levels. All of those can have a big effect on physical symptoms that can look like depression but might actually be a nutrient deficiency.

There's no test for bipolar, I wish. However, if you have bipolar or other mental illness there is now a genetic test that can help your Dr find out what meds would work best for you, without having to do as much switching while trying to find what works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 02:58 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,898,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
He wont be for long.

This guy really needs to find help fast.

3 days off work tells me there's something seriously not right.

That's Impairment. A HUGE sign. Even while my mental health was deteriorating I still went to work every day until the day I just Stopped.
Ohh, so is he now "sick enough" for you? This is exactly what I was warning about.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:03 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,421,190 times
I have a friend who has Bi Polar and was diagnosed quite a long time ago. She does fairly well with a good job, but, of course her meds have to keep changing which is certainly common with Bi Polar. She noticed she was drinking a LOT of late so she has cut down which I'm really glad. I guess people can certainly have good lives and manage them with this illness, but, they need to be worked and managed more closely. She is a great person and I enjoy her company when I see her.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:14 PM

17,261 posts, read 14,223,996 times
I am glad you now recognize he is sick enough.

His health is not getting worse, it is like that for 10 years. He started feeling "different" as other people in his 20's.

He has actually been better for a year now. He was laid off from work and was depressed severely while out of work. Then they called him back a year ago to work for another project and he started feeling better. He said if he his out of work and has too much time to think, it all gets worse.

He wasn't interested in dating for 10 years because of the depression but now is doing better.

His Vitamin B levels are okay. Thyroid, too.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:18 PM

Meds have to keep changing????

Old 10-30-2015, 03:21 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,067,310 times
Vitamin D not B.

D is a special test.

All the antidepressants in the world wont help if your D levels are low.

They don't call it Vitamin Depression for nothing, in fact if a GP doesn't test levels while prescribing antidepressants imo they're not doing their jobs.

Btw I live in the sunniest state in the sunniest country in the world, go outdoors at midday, have very fair skin. Statistically my levels should have been just fine. Reality = they were worse than a 100 year old locked up in a care home.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Vitamin D not B. somebody else suggested VitaminB

D is a special test. I know. And I will tell him to do that during the next checkup at the regular doc. I know he takes tons of vitamin pills every day but not sure which ones and how much.

All the antidepressants in the world wont help if your D levels are low.

They don't call it Vitamin Depression for nothing, in fact if a GP doesn't test levels while prescribing antidepressants imo they're not doing their jobs.

Btw I live in the sunniest state in the sunniest country in the world, go outdoors at midday, have very fair skin. Statistically my levels should have been just fine. Reality = they were worse than a 100 year old locked up in a care home.

odd. hmm.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
odd. hmm.
Big Pharma doesn't want anyone to know about it.

I used to take a multivitamin, still D deficient.

Read up on it. Deficiency is also linked to cancer!

Old 10-30-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I am glad you now recognize he is sick enough.

His health is not getting worse, it is like that for 10 years. He started feeling "different" as other people in his 20's.

He has actually been better for a year now. He was laid off from work and was depressed severely while out of work. Then they called him back a year ago to work for another project and he started feeling better. He said if he his out of work and has too much time to think, it all gets worse.

He wasn't interested in dating for 10 years because of the depression but now is doing better.

His Vitamin B levels are okay. Thyroid, too.
Poor guy.

Can he get to a holistic care centre?

Old 10-30-2015, 03:28 PM

ok.

Not sure what a holistic care center is but I will read up on it.

I told him about eating healthy, too. Then he did the low carb thingy, got all buff with working out but the depression frequency did not change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or