U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 03:35 PM

17,261 posts, read 14,233,380 times

Advertisements

I am going to have to go away from the computer for a few hours now but I appreciate all your input. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 03:35 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,069,900 times
He actually sounds like me, and I have BPD.

Borderline Personality Disorder.

Its not Being An Evil Person, its essentially Emotional PTSD.

If he grew up with a bipolar father the chances he developed BPD are higher still. He doesn't sound manic to me, 10 years of depression is not mania!

Most BPD's get diagnosed with depression first, as happened to me. Its when the depression stops responding to medication, that BPD is indicated mostly. Intractable depression can be BPD in disguise.

You can slip in and out of remission of BPD also, also happened to me and probably him when he was rehired. This makes BPD very slippery and hard to diagnose.

BPD is often caused by neglect by a parent as a very young child. If your friends father was mentally ill he was likely unavailable to his son, which the child perceives as abandonment.

If he's intelligent its even more likely he developed BPD.

So basically you see him in great moods when something good is happening - I do that too.

When I'm up, I'm up. But I can just as easily get home, feel sorry for myself for some reason, utterly collapse, all in the same hour.

People don't see me when I'm down because I isolate entirely. For weeks at a time. As does your friend.

He really needs specialized help. He's incredibly lucky to have such a good friend.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:41 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,899,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Meds have to keep changing????
Not exactly. It can take a while to find what works because it's a fine balance of anti-depressant and anti-psychotic but once you get it right it shouldn't require much change. But sometimes medications stop working or situations change things. But that's why you see your prescriber regularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Vitamin D not B.

D is a special test.

All the antidepressants in the world wont help if your D levels are low.

And again, more wrong information. I feel like I'm fact checking a Republican debate here

I said B along with iron because those can also effect your energy level and overall health.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:50 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,357,874 times
No one can diagnose someone over the Web (especially when the "patient" isn't even posting here about his own symptoms).

It sounds to me, however, from the original post, like your friend has exactly what he's already been diagnosed as having: OCD and PTSD.

The compulsions and obsessions = OCD
The depression, fatigue, hot and cold flashes, combined with earlier trauma = PTSD

There isn't anything that indicates that your friend has a recurring pattern, or cycle, of bipolar depression/mania symptoms. PTSD can follow a relapse/recover pattern when stress triggers it. Not quite the same as proving Bipolar though.

I don't think OCD would follow a relapse/recover pattern, I'm under the impression it's more chronic and consistent.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:19 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,420,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
He can always get a second opinion from another psychiatrist. Make sure the Dr knows it's for diagnosis. It might take more than one visit to get to know him before the Dr make a diagnosis.

If all he had was a quick 15 min appointment with a psychiatrist who didn't get to know him, I would absolutely get a second opinion.

Also he should consider starting a journal so he can track his moods, feelings, physical symptoms etc... To get a picture of what might be causing different things.
A journel would be extremly helpful to see what happens when, and how long it lasts. He should note when something changes and how, but also what happened inbetween which could have triggered it. The more details, the more potential for unwraveling the reasons.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:44 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,150,943 times
Most likely is GAD with something else.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:41 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,069,900 times
Yeah so essentially OP

"other forms of Bipolar" don't exist.

You either have it, or you don't, and if you do its unmistakeable.

It's a chemical disorder and follows predictable diagnostic criteria.

10 solid years of depression pretty much rules bipolar out, imho.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Yeah so essentially OP

"other forms of Bipolar" don't exist.

You either have it, or you don't, and if you do its unmistakeable.

It's a chemical disorder and follows predictable diagnostic criteria.

10 solid years of depression pretty much rules bipolar out, imho.
Seriously, again? It's great that you're trying to help, but incredibly frustrating that you keep repeating things people have told are wrong.

There are 2 different kinds of bipolar!

You've been told this by multiple posters.

You've also been told that the criteria are not set in stone. They're a guide line, you can't diagnose without speaking to the person you're diagnosing.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:14 AM

18,280 posts, read 16,822,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
This is California, we do not come out of a winter right now (or ever). He is sick enough to have SOMETHING, whatever it is. He didn't go to work for 3 days this week...
Don't you live in the West L.A. area? Can you take him to the outpatient clinic at UCLA's Neuropsychiatric Hospital for an evaluation?
https://www.uclahealth.org/Resnick/P...t-Clinics.aspx

Old 11-01-2015, 09:34 AM

Oh-eve, thought this might be an interesting read for you, it's about "soft bipolar" which is more depression than mania, but still a bipolar reaction versus unipolar depression.

Quote:
The features of soft bipolar (based on potential diagnostic criteria set out by Goodwin and Jamison in Manic-Depressive Illness: Bipolar Disorders and Recurrent Depression, 2nd Edition, include:

A. At least one major depressive episode.

B. No spontaneous hypomanic or manic episode.

AND

C. Either one of the following, plus at least two items from D, or both of the following plus one item from D:

1. A family history of bipolar disorder in a first-degree relative.

2. Antidepressant-induced mania or hypomania.

D. If no items from C are present, six of the following 9 are needed:

1. Excessive emotionalism and/or excessive activity.

2. More than 3 recurrent episodes of major depression.

3. Brief major depressive episodes lasting less than 3 months.

4. Atypical symptoms of depression such as increased sleep or appetite.

5. Psychotic major depressive episode.

6. Early age of onset of major depression (before 25).

7. Postpartum depression.

8. Antidepressant tolerance.

9. Lack of response after trying more than 3 different antidepressants.
Soft Bipolar - What Is It? Do YOU Have It? Discover the Clues You MUST Look For.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or