U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-27-2015, 11:57 AM
 
Location: SoCal again
17,261 posts, read 14,233,380 times
Reputation: 34424

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a friend who thinks he has bipolar but he went to a psychiatrist who said he just has OCD and PTSD. Gave him tons of depression meds and that's it.

My friend doesn't have the usual bipolar symptoms but some.

1. No extreme sexual desire
2. Doesn't stay up all night
3. No unnaturall happiness episodes

These ARE the symptoms he has:

- When he gets upset or angry, he starts cleaning. His kitchen is stuffed with items standing around everywhere but they are all in order, nicely sorted. He doesn't like change - if he buys a new piece of furniture, it upsets him, even though he wanted that change. So he buys a new table but that change causes him to clean all day to get used to it. That's why he got diagnosed with OCD.


- He saw both of his parents die, took care of them for years when they were terminally ill. That's where the PTSD diagnosis comes from.

- His dad was bipolar and his aunt is somehow crazy (don't know diagnosis).

- He obsesses over things. Example: He looks for something on amazon and then gets hooked and suddenly it is midnight and it took him 4 hours to order a $10 item.

- He is a perfectionist. I asked him recently to proof read something for me and he spent 3 hours on 3 pages. A short ad on craigstlist will take an hour to post. He takes a pic on his camera and edits it for 30 minutes until it is PERFECT.

- Every few weeks he gets depression episodes. He said he feels like the world is going to end tomorrow, but he is not suicidal. He then gets really small eyes and lays in bed all day, feeling sick to his stomach. Has hot and cold flashes.
He feels it coming for days when he gets up in the morning but with breathing exercises gets it under control. Every few weeks that doesn't work and he has to call in sick and just lays arounda all day, feeling miserable. Going outside helps a little or working out, if he can drag himself to the gym. It lasts for days and then suddenly it is gone, sometimes in the middle of the day it disappears. He is not in a bad mood, whiny or negative as you would expect from a depressed person.

He said it feels like a chemical gets pumped into his stomach that causes this horrible feeling. Sometimes it lasts a day. Sometimes it lasts up to 4 days.

Is that how depression usually works??? I thought you just feel sad and worthless.

Is it a form of bipolar?

The psychiatrist prescribed him all sorts of depression meds but it didn't stop.

My friend thinks he has bipolar II. I have no idea and no experience with mental diseases other than my own craziness.

Last edited by oh-eve; 10-27-2015 at 12:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-27-2015, 04:43 PM
 
1,158 posts, read 1,792,070 times
Reputation: 913
If he really is bipolar, the anti-depressants would make him go manic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2015, 08:16 AM
 
Location: SoCal again
17,261 posts, read 14,233,380 times
Reputation: 34424
aha??? okay, I didn't know that. Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 10:35 AM
 
2,937 posts, read 1,899,264 times
Reputation: 6681
He can always get a second opinion from another psychiatrist. Make sure the Dr knows it's for diagnosis. It might take more than one visit to get to know him before the Dr make a diagnosis.

If all he had was a quick 15 min appointment with a psychiatrist who didn't get to know him, I would absolutely get a second opinion.

Also he should consider starting a journal so he can track his moods, feelings, physical symptoms etc... To get a picture of what might be causing different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 10:58 AM
 
Location: SoCal again
17,261 posts, read 14,233,380 times
Reputation: 34424
He went to that psychiatrist several times because he got several different meds and they either made him angry or tired.

It was more than a 15 minute appointment, I think it was about an hour and he had to fill out 20 pages of paperwork about his mood/suicide/family ... etc. etc.

So this week he was depressed and anxious all week. I dragged him to the gym two nights ago and he did well there and enjoyed it.
On the way home his eyes got small again and he didn't even want to stop for gas - I had to drop him off at home and apparently he was laying there for the rest of the day.

He is always worried that one day he doesn't snap out of it and it stays like it forever.

I have a sleep disease and gave him my meds yesterday - Nuvigil (it gives energy to people with sleep disorders). He felt instantly better. So now we don't know if it was the pill or if he just coincidental snapped out if it anyway because it has been 4 days already.

In the evening he was super hyper (probably not from the pill, it must have worn off by then) and super happy and all out there, awake until midnight. I actually rather deal with his lows as with the highs, since it is a bit too much for me.

Do highs follow the lows immediately on bipolar people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Cushing OK
14,545 posts, read 18,420,696 times
Reputation: 16831
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
He went to that psychiatrist several times because he got several different meds and they either made him angry or tired.

It was more than a 15 minute appointment, I think it was about an hour and he had to fill out 20 pages of paperwork about his mood/suicide/family ... etc. etc.

So this week he was depressed and anxious all week. I dragged him to the gym two nights ago and he did well there and enjoyed it.
On the way home his eyes got small again and he didn't even want to stop for gas - I had to drop him off at home and apparently he was laying there for the rest of the day.

He is always worried that one day he doesn't snap out of it and it stays like it forever.

I have a sleep disease and gave him my meds yesterday - Nuvigil (it gives energy to people with sleep disorders). He felt instantly better. So now we don't know if it was the pill or if he just coincidental snapped out if it anyway because it has been 4 days already.

In the evening he was super hyper (probably not from the pill, it must have worn off by then) and super happy and all out there, awake until midnight. I actually rather deal with his lows as with the highs, since it is a bit too much for me.

Do highs follow the lows immediately on bipolar people?
Yes, they can. Generally the shift can be felt, too. There are two kinds of bipolar. Type 2 can be anything from mild shifts to imperceptable ones. The depressions are not as deep and the highs usually not as high. Type one is quite visible, ratcheting up where the person can't hold still and talks very fast and their conversation jumps from one thing to another. They also my be hypersexual.

Meds are harder to effectively manage with type 2 since a little too much of an antidepressive drug can kick the mood past even to manic. And the downs are rarely super deep pits, but an ongoing gloom. Circumstance in life can kick it away or make it much worse. But at times the dosage of meds may be too much or not enough.

Most people who are type 2 really need some kind of therapy/group counceling along with meds, since no med is going to provide a 'normal'. Most type 1 people are obvious, but not just happy and hyper.

Hyper, super happy, and wide awake and busy sounds like a bp2 high.

I'm relating this from my own experience. But he needs to be evaluated and diagnosed properly, not an 'it sounds like'.

One place you can go where people will understand your circumstances because they or their family live it is the DBSA.

Depression & Bipolar Support Alliance - Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance

I got more help from this group than anyone else. Whatever the cause, both of you should go. It's not a medical group but support from others who understand. It also provides a friendly place to talk. One of the core principles of the group is it is voluntary that you come, are never required to participate (you can come and listen if you choose) and nothing said in group leaves it. The only exception is if someone starts talking about sucide, then someone will drive them to the er.

We went out to lunch afterwards and it was wonderful being with supportive people. You can also get referals to resources to get help from the group.

Since this is creating such a conflict, I think both of you would benefit from giving the group a try while persuing other options since 'the system' will figure out what's wrong but not give a whole lot of personal support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 12:31 PM
 
Location: SoCal again
17,261 posts, read 14,233,380 times
Reputation: 34424
So are your depressions like his? Mostly in the stomach? No suicide thoughts? Staring at the wall? hot and cold flashes? He said his brain is working on 10% and he feels retarded when he is depressed. He is not angry, impatient, or anything. Just very quiet.

He takes very well care of himself, great hygiene, teeth whitening, etc. etc. even when he feels like crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 12:42 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 6,069,900 times
Reputation: 11945
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
So are your depressions like his? Mostly in the stomach? No suicide thoughts? Staring at the wall? hot and cold flashes? He said his brain is working on 10% and he feels retarded when he is depressed. He is not angry, impatient, or anything. Just very quiet.

He takes very well care of himself, great hygiene, teeth whitening, etc. etc. even when he feels like crap.
He sounds like he has Anxiety, which of course he does, he has OCD.

No he's NOT bipolar.

Stop trying to diagnose.

I first presented with severe depression 4 years ago and finally after investigation they've found an underlying comorbid disease or 14.

He probably has LAYERS of mental illness that needs personalized treatment.

From a team of qualified specialists, not a friend who Means Well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 01:41 PM
 
Location: MA
1,622 posts, read 1,421,762 times
Reputation: 3018
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
He sounds like he has Anxiety, which of course he does, he has OCD.

No he's NOT bipolar.

Stop trying to diagnose.

I first presented with severe depression 4 years ago and finally after investigation they've found an underlying comorbid disease or 14.

He probably has LAYERS of mental illness that needs personalized treatment.

From a team of qualified specialists, not a friend who Means Well.

Don't say he doesn't have bi polar because at this point you have no idea either. Please take your own advice and do not diagnose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2015, 01:44 PM
 
6,319 posts, read 6,069,900 times
Reputation: 11945
Anyone who can read knows the symptoms of bipolar.

OP's friend does not display manic symptoms = NOT bipolar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:25 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top