Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 06:19 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times

Advertisements

OP, is there any way to tactfully suggest he be tested for sleep apnea? It can actually be a life threatening condition in addition to be very difficult for anyone who has to sleep around the person doing the snoring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 08:34 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemon View Post
There's about a 54% chance it would help, especially if he's not "...."I'd definitely say it's worth an easy shot with those odds...
And there's a 46% chance it won't. Flip a coin.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:26 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,816 times
At one time I lived in a new apartment complex and worked the graveyard shift. I had to sleep during the day, and this complex was in the process of putting up 3 more buildings. Suffice to say, it was a noisy place to try sleeping during the day.

If you are dead set against moving away to sleep apart from him then you have to find a way to tolerate the noise. What I did was purchase a set of ear buds, as comfortable as I could find, an auto reverse tape deck and a good cassette of a thunderstorm. Of course the technology today is all different but you can still swing this kind of thing now.

The auto reverse kept it playing automatically for several hours. It was a loud cassette but it was a natural sound that I preferred over the sound of construction.

It was poor quality sleep but it seemed enough.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:11 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynnetman View Post
Guys, I simply feel like my uncle would be embarrassed and upset if I moved downstairs. But we had our alarm set for 7 today, and I happened to wake up at 5:30 and the snoring was vibrating the room, so I am now up for the day, watching TV. And yes, I had earmuffs on and one earplug (I lost the other plug) and they did nothing to help me. I just don't know how to approach an issue like this, but he does know that he snores. One time, he was snoring so loudly that our alarm for hunting went off for 15 minutes straight before it finally woke him up.
OP, if you're hunting every weekend with this guy, you're talking two days a week every week you're not getting enough sleep. This is not just a one time thing. So your uncle might be embarrassed you brought it up. Big deal. I'm telling you as a long term insomniac who actually developed hallucinations from lack of sleep, it is more important to be honest and sleep enough than be polite and sleep deprived. Trust me, I know. Besides, if your uncle is really snoring that loudly, it is also affecting his sleep negatively because he isn't breathing well during deep sleep, so someone ought to tell him he's snoring loudly. It might as well be you, good old Nephew Jim (or whatever your name is).

Old 11-07-2015, 08:48 PM

820 posts, read 972,689 times
He doesn't just snore loudly, he also smacks his lips like crazy in his sleep.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:30 PM

820 posts, read 972,689 times
It just sucks overall. I try waking him up by whispering his name and knocking on the bedside table, but he just snores on and doesn't even move. I am exhausted in the mornings there solely because of him. If the snoring doesn't keep me from falling asleep, it wakes me up in the middle of the night and keeps me up from there.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:57 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
OP, is there any way to tactfully suggest he be tested for sleep apnea? It can actually be a life threatening condition in addition to be very difficult for anyone who has to sleep around the person doing the snoring.

This would be a great way to bring it up "gently" and with his health and life in mind.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:55 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
I think there is beyond a shadow of a doubt that he has sleep apnea. I'd talk to him about it, let him know you are worried. There are new things on the market besides the cpap too, if he objects to that.

Also tell him you are having trouble sleeping with his snoring and if he might try to sleep on his side. It's a reasonable request. It might cause him a little embarrassment, but it sounds like you need some sleep.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:33 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I'd get the guy checked out for sleep apnea, if its discovered he has a problem he will be required to use a CPAP machine which will eliminate his snoring.
In the mean time you need another bedroom.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:36 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
Put a tennis ball in a sock and then pin the sock to the back of the shirt he wears to bed.

That will stop the snoring. Cant help you with the other noises...unless he does it because he is thirsty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health