U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2015, 05:58 AM

24,875 posts, read 21,830,108 times

Advertisements

So I'm currently on day three with no soda, and no nicotine of any kind. I'm on a full week without THC.

I cut off actual cigarettes three weeks ago and went to an ecig again. I slowly reduced my intake, by cutting down on the nicotine level i was using and the voltage of my device.

Soda was cold turkey, so was thc. Thc i have decided to step back from, due to a custody case for my wife and her ex. That was really the only thing he had against us. We never smoked around the kids, but God forbid in the bible belt that you smoke a joint every now and then.

This is hard. My spouse has cut off her THC intake as well. She said she doesn't have the willpower to stop everything at once. I just got mad at all of the things I've been putting in my body.

For the record, I'd usually drink between 4 and 5 12oz mt dews a day, and a 44 oz I'd get after lunch. I had a pack a day cigarette habit.

Nothing for the last three days.

At first i felt ramped up. I actually felt like i was on speed. Day two i was more drowsy, just kind of blah. Day 3, starts with a headache.

Any advice i can get to stick with it? I have an urge to grab one of my wifes cigarettes but i decide against it. I want a Mt. Dew when i pour her one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 08:13 AM

10,194 posts, read 7,663,789 times
The patch works well for quitting smoking. It's going to be harder with someone else doing it around you though.

Mineral water is a great sub for soda. Takes some getting used to, but now I wouldn't touch a soda and love mineral water.

It's going to take a while...but you can do it! It's just going to be harder when your wife hasn't given some of those things up. Can she smoke outside and get her own soda? That would be the minimum to ask.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:20 PM

24,875 posts, read 21,830,108 times
I started three weeks ago by using an ecig, then slowly dialed back the voltage. Then as of three days ago i just didn't pick it up at all.

All I'm drinking lately is water and milk. I had two beers tonight.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:15 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,706,272 times
There is a lot of caffeine in Mountain Dew. You went off it cold turkey. Normally, caffeine has to be tapered. Otherwise, it can cause really bad headaches, anxiety, etc. when you stop it cold turkey. If the symptoms become unbearable, you can try drinking small amounts of it or other forms of caffeine daily and then taper off *that* level of caffeine over a period of about 2 weeks. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2015, 03:06 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,069,900 times
Good on you OP you sound like you're doing great.

I want to cut down on all sorts of things, sugar first, specifically soda.

I've decided to allow myself one a week instead of daily.

Water it is.

Everyone's all...gee good on you having a water bottle now! and im all, yeah, dude, im thirsty. I cant just go pop a can of coke zero any more.

The more water you drink, the more you want to drink, I find.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:03 AM

13,081 posts, read 16,289,083 times
The soda and nicotine...good to cut out.
The THC....you can ingest if you'd rather....good cancer prevention, I'd keep that.
Maybe if you cut out substances you feel you're addicted to, you could start with one...and then a few weeks later add another. I think it might be easier that way.
It's very hard....my addictions were to pain killers while i waited months and months for surgery. After the surg I didn't need them anymore....I went through hell, but I'm glad I did....cause now I'm FREE. The feeling of that is like no other.
Be tuff, hang in there....you can do it, but don't beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon sometimes.
Good luck!

Old 11-13-2015, 12:04 PM

10,194 posts, read 7,663,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
The soda and nicotine...good to cut out.
The THC....you can ingest if you'd rather....good cancer prevention, I'd keep that.
Maybe if you cut out substances you feel you're addicted to, you could start with one...and then a few weeks later add another. I think it might be easier that way.
It's very hard....my addictions were to pain killers while i waited months and months for surgery. After the surg I didn't need them anymore....I went through hell, but I'm glad I did....cause now I'm FREE. The feeling of that is like no other.
Be tuff, hang in there....you can do it, but don't beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon sometimes.
Good luck!
It's good advice for anyone wanting to quit things, one at a time is a good idea. Even starting with the easiest and working up the ladder. First, it's a lot to go through at once. But also you will learn some excellent lessons from quitting habits and addictions. It's nice to learn the tough lessons with the more mild habits and addictions and apply them to that harder ones when you stop.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:18 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,467,704 times
I am an ex smoker ( too many years, probably 30 plus?) and a moderate caffeine person.
I stopped smoking several times, only to go back. Finally kicked it about 12 years ago give or take.
I can tell you that at least for me, I finally learned that I can NOT ever have one cigarette and expect to be an ex smoker. Once I learned that, I became an ex smoker.
(so many times, I would stop, and then maybe be at a party or on vacation and decide I would just have one.........that just did not work for me and I was soon either asking for a cigarette or breaking down and buying).
For caffeine, I used to drink lots of coffee and then diet cokes through the day. I now pretty much just drink a cup or two of coffee in the morning and no more through the day.

I would think that doing it all or nothing, the symptons you described make sense, but I would also think that after a few days, you should be feeling ok and not have any more of the heachaches.
So, good for you and keep it up. It's tough but you sound like you have this under your belt.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:19 AM

11 posts, read 5,453 times
Focus on right now. Not what you used to do, not what you hope to do, but what you're doing right now. If you find yourself arguing with your inner self, stop. You have the choice, and the power, to deal with RIGHT NOW however you wish. Proceed accordingly :-) :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or