U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,185 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, this is the first post I've made on this forum, and basically I've had these things I'm about to describe, but I've recently started thinking that they're not normal, and discovered most if not all of them are considered obsessions or compulsions, and asked my psychologist about them after telling him all of these:

-I pick at my scabs and can't ever avoid it if I start thinking about it. (I've done this since I was a child and have some scars from some of them)
-I often imagine really horrible things happening to me or other people, like me accidentally killing someone or hurting them or doing something inappropriate without realizing, or somehow i worry about being drunk and doing something horrible (I don't drink), cursing in front of my parents, etc. These are my most constant thoughts: (and the worst ones too i'd say)
Spoiler
-My boyfriend raping or killing me, throwing acid at me, torturing me, or just generally being abusive towards me
-Myself stepping on my dog's heads and crushing their skulls, killing them, my mother never forgiving me (every time I walk past them and they're laying I think of this)
-My mother running over them on her car and them dying in a particularly gruesome way, her screaming and crying and never getting over it (She really loves animals esp. dogs, and I imagine this almost every time she opens the garage door), turning into a completely different person, etc.
-My brother suggesting incest with me (sometimes I think about it with my dad sometimes, and although it disgusts me, once i start thinking of it, it's hard to take it off my head, and i'm sure I don't genuinely want that)

I usually keep thinking about those for a few minutes or up to an hour, sometimes I end up crying about it even though I know it's all not real. I've had these thoughts since I first learned about what violence was

-When i leave stuff on the floor sometimes I imagine someone having an accident with it and dying (in some way that would be ridiculously coincidental like a Final Destination scene or something), and go to pick it up.
-Almost all of the time I go to the bathroom in my house, I start doubting whether or not I flushed and go back to check. I always do, but I also want to keep checking every time. Mostly i can't just not think about it if I didn't do it. Or when I leave the bathroom I tell myself ''remember that you flushed'' each time.

And this is the weirdest one and the hardest to explain, but sometimes I imagine objects are possibly going to destroy each other, or that everything that is aligned with a particular object will not be destroyed and the rest of stuff in the room will, and usually it makes me align things somehow with that object. I also align smaller objects in general, not necessarily thinking about it, just wanting them to be all well ordered.

---
Now, after explaining all of this to my psychologist, he said that everyone had those things. He dismissed it almost immediately (the thought of me having OCD, not quite the thought of me having compulsions and obsessions, although maybe he wouldn't call them that?). He said that they're fantasies like any other, and I told him that I felt these 'fantasies' were completely different from imagining yourself to be a celebrity or something. I mean, he knows I have anxiety so why would it be so outlandish that I have OCD?
What I want to know is whether or not this means OCD for most psychologists, or at least most people, whether or not most people actually do feel and have this thoughts. It just seems weird to me because if those things aren't OCD i don't quite know what is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 10:02 AM

10,194 posts, read 7,659,102 times
It actually doesn't sound like ocd to me either. It sounds more like anxiety/ptsd type stuff happening.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:31 AM

9,823 posts, read 6,247,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbieblood View Post
What I want to know is whether or not this means OCD for most psychologists, or at least most people, whether or not most people actually do feel and have this thoughts. It just seems weird to me because if those things aren't OCD i don't quite know what is.
I have had most of those thoughts or others similar to them. They're just thoughts. I think of them as my brain's way of pushing the boundaries. As long as your thoughts of harming your pets are just thoughts and are immediately followed by shock and horror, you're functioning just fine in my opinion.

I'm home alone, working, for the vast majority of the day and as a result, I spend too much time in my own head. Minor distractions, such as watching Netflix or reading C-D, help keep the troubling thoughts at bay.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:06 AM

10,194 posts, read 7,659,102 times
I don't know of everyone gets them. I used to have obsessive thoughts a lot. They felt very disconnected to what I actually thought of felt. But when I was treated for anxiety/PTSD they stopped. And I learned to stop them before they take root.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I don't know of everyone gets them. I used to have obsessive thoughts a lot. They felt very disconnected to what I actually thought of felt. But when I was treated for anxiety/PTSD they stopped. And I learned to stop them before they take root.
I do have anxiety but I've never had a traumatic experience in my life. At least not one I remember. So.. idk. Did you have scabs that you picked at as if you needed, or some other thing like hair?

Old 11-15-2015, 09:23 AM

3,660 posts, read 2,080,530 times
Although it's moreso obsessive thoughts like fantasies, I do also get those thoughts like you said...related to anxiety.
It's more common with me and pain. If I feel slight discomfort I tend to not stop thinking about it and then go on a hypochondriac rant. However I think with me it is all about having hyper senses and being observant.
Also I have had plenty of crap happen to me in my life so having depression helps.

But I think a lot of people DO get obsessive thoughts. They're just not a regular occurrence unless you have abnormalities like hyper senses or trauma in your life.

Old 11-20-2015, 10:23 PM

2,511 posts, read 1,298,999 times
I have panic attacks and anxiety/phobia issues. I have a lot of obsessive thoughts and behaviors mostly related to my phobia. I have to always have and do certain things or I am "doomed". I think certain things keep me "safe" and I have a lot of weird thoughts too. And then when I wash my hands I HAVE to basically scrub in like I'm prepping for surgery. I wash all up my arms and under my nails. I wash my hands probably 10-20 times a day easy. So you could say I am obsessive about my hand washing lol But my phobia is getting sick (vomiting) so it leads me to do that. Without that phobia I don't think I'd do most of the things I do.

I would find another therapist if you don't feel like you are connecting with this one. That's just an important part of the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health