U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 03:03 PM

7,426 posts, read 4,219,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy M View Post
I do not recommend getting involved with any medicine like Xanax. They call those benzodiazapines.
Benzo's are very addictive. A very small dose will help at first, then you will find yourself needing more and more.
A good mix of RX drugs for sleep is, a combination of Trazadone and hydroxyzine. Ask your doctor and DON'T start using Xanax for sleep. It's an anti-anxiety drug and is very strong.
I second Betsy. I have helped people who are detoxing from Xanax and the backlash from withdrawal can be nasty and last for a long time. People suffer saying goodbye to this little helper.

It shouldn't, in my opinion, ever be prescribed for anything other than short-term use. Risky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 04:55 PM

1,683 posts, read 1,734,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likecity View Post
Hi,

I have sleep disorder since many years, I don't want take "sleep pills" anymore they are too addictive for me so I heard about a low dosage of xanage can help to sleep but after some research like I see here Average Dose: Xanax For Sleep Disorders | Wealth For My Health, the xanax can have many side effects, I would happy to know what do you think about this ?

These side effects are experienced only by a very low percentage of the users ? or it can be very terrible for everyone ?

Furthermore I do not think used xanax every night but just from time to time when I really need sleep much longer, I begin to have few issues at my work because I'm to tired...

Thanks
I haven't had any side effects from it, I think it's great on an extremely as needed basis, like once or twice a month or something. For me it knocks me out, oftentimes just 0.125mg (half of a 0.25). You've got to watch those things so it doesn't become addictive though. Thankfully I don't have an addictive personality, but I noticed, before I started taking buspirone daily, that I would build up a tolerance quickly to the Xanax so that a 0.5mg wouldn't do that much.

But as far as side effects goes, there are none so far for me; I think it's a great drug if used appropriately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I
First, it's a short-acting benzo. so if you take it, it will kick in pretty quickly,
There is that-- if you have problems staying asleep, then this drug probably would not work for you. Someone with problems staying asleep needs something that's longer acting that won't wear off in 4 or 5 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Second, Xanax is very easy to get dependent on, both physically and emotionally. It generally gives very quick relief to symptoms, and to some people, a nice sense of well-being. You could start to like that, too much. And like I said above, it's shorter-acting than a long acting benzo, like Klonopin. Long-acting benzos can still create dependency, but there isn't that quick drop-off than can lead people to want to pop another pill. You mention being concerned about addiction to sleeping pills, but Xanax is highly addictive.
Yes, as a regular sleep-aid, something definitely to stay away from at least for most people. I would recommend for someone who also has anxiety problems to try buspirone and see if that might not help getting to sleep easier. I would also have something like propranolol or hydroxyzine for somewhat-difficult sleep nights, and then xanax for those really tough nights where you can't fall asleep for anything (which that ideally should only be a few nights a month really. If it's ever single night that that's going on, then you need something other than xanax, something that is less prone to become addictive).

Last edited by Basiliximab; 12-18-2015 at 05:05 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 02:46 PM

9,237 posts, read 19,809,872 times
Yes! hydroxyzine/Vistaril is a very underrated and effective sleep aid. It's not exciting like Lunesta or Belsomra and the newer drugs, and it's not habit forming. It's been around a long time, and the generic should be dirt cheap.
When I took it for sleep in my 20s, it was like a more effective version Benadryl/dyphenhydramine, the OTC med that lots of people swear by. I slept a good 7+ hours with no AM hangover effect.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:08 PM

6,039 posts, read 3,311,034 times
I think part of it is age. I am 58, I take about a 1/2 of my .5mg xanax almost every night with a glass of wine. I certainly would not recommend someone much younger getting into the habit. It puts me right to sleep. I have been doing it for over a year. I get up super, super early to go to work (2:45am). Sleep is essential to me. I need to get enough sleep so I can drive home safely after work.
I do find that the Winter months I may not need it as much since it gets darker earlier the world is quieter. Summer months: kids, adults, lawn mowers, etc just make me anxious that I won't be able to get to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or