Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 05:17 PM

11 posts, read 19,832 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have sleep disorder since many years, I don't want take "sleep pills" anymore they are too addictive for me so I heard about a low dosage of xanage can help to sleep but after some research like I see here Average Dose: Xanax For Sleep Disorders | Wealth For My Health, the xanax can have many side effects, I would happy to know what do you think about this ?

These side effects are experienced only by a very low percentage of the users ? or it can be very terrible for everyone ?

Furthermore I do not think used xanax every night but just from time to time when I really need sleep much longer, I begin to have few issues at my work because I'm to tired...

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 08:23 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
What about a 50mg. Trazodone pill, taking 1/2 to 1 tab as needed at bedtime? This was developed as an anti-depressant but they found that it's more effective for insomnia, and at a much lower dose than the recommended starting dose of 350mg. for depression.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:28 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
I take Xanax for sleep almost every night. It's not the best, I ran out of other options. Some medications didn't work for me. Some over sedated me. Taking Xanax during the day was a last result because it would put me to sleep so my psych decided I should use it for sleep.

I like that it works fast. And it seems to help me relax a lot more then I tend to do in sleep.

But...
It doesn't last long. It lasts about 4 hours. There are longer acting varieties but they take longer to kick in.
I find that I am very sleepy the next day, much more then if I don't take it, even if I don't sleep well
You develop a tolerance to it. I started at .25 mg and am up to 1mg
It's addictive, although I haven't had a problem going off it

For me it was a last resort medication for sleep. Lunesta and those types work better and are not addictive. They just didn't work with my brain chemistry after a while of use.

With all that said, I plan on going off the Xanax for sleep when this bottle runs out. It's just not that great.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:09 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,472,767 times
I take Ativan for insomnia and ADD and Xanax has the fastest half life of all of those benzos so not necessarily the best for sleep.........before I took Klonopin and it made me sleep better but more groggy next morning.

Trazedone used to take it but for some reason no longer works.

Consider titrating down and not going cold turkey on any benzo did that once myself was rather irritable.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:10 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Trazedone used to take it but for some reason no longer works.

Yeah, I think you can develop a tolerance to almost anything. Thus, I would take Trazodone 2 nights week, Benadryl (an antihistamine) 2 nights a week, and Doxylamine (another anti-histamine) 3 nights a week. Alternating them worked well. Lately though, I haven't been using anything and sleeping quite well .

Knock on wood,

Old 12-01-2015, 01:35 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
I take .5 of Clonazepam before bed for both sleep and anxiety. I used to wake up between 4 and 4:30 with terrible adrenaline but Clonazepam has helped with that quite a bit.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:41 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
xanax is highly addictive, as im sure other people have said. But I also think as long as you don't abuse it, it can be very helpful. I take it, but i take it for panic attacks and it's seriously amazing at it's job. It never makes me tired though and the half life is very short.

My boss takes it for sleeping, now he cant sleep without it. But he took it every single night and has so for years.
No side effects that I have noticed, but it's also the lowest dose. He hasn't noticed any either, he just can't sleep if he doesn't take it

I know a lot of doctors don't like to give out xanax. You have probably tried this already, but have you ever taken ambien? I took it for a short while and it worked really well and my doctor said it was one of the least addictive, especially at a low dose.

Just talk to your doctor, hope you find something that works!

Old 12-16-2015, 08:27 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,965,148 times
I agree that trazadone is a good sleep med to try. Also an antidepressant that doesn't work well for depression (if you look at market share) but a side effect is somnolence and I know many people who use it to sleep, mirtazapine. Most doctors do not know how to dose it. As the dose goes lower, the effect is greater. The lowest available dose is 7.5 mg but if you start at that dose you will sleep for the next three days! So my doctor starts out at 15-30 mg. I would start on a Friday so you have the weekend to recover if it makes you groggy. I found that the morning was a bit difficult with initial dose but a quick cup of coffee set things straight. If the initial dose begins to fade for you, then you can always take less and the sleep side effect will work again. I can get away with taking it 3 times per week and my sleep is great. It also has a side effect of increased appetite. So I take it just before dinner, I am satisfied once I have eaten my dinner and I sleep very well. However, the first time you take it I would have my PJs on and be ready for bed as some people have a very quick response to the med.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:46 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
I would not presume to advise you to try another drug instead; that's between you and your doctor. But I will way that Xanax is probably one of the worst options for sleep.

First, it's a short-acting benzo. so if you take it, it will kick in pretty quickly, but if you have pretty bad insomnia or anxiety, the Xanax will be at a low enough level in your system in about 5 hours to make your symptoms come back. So you take it at 11, fall asleep by 11:45, but then you might be wide awake again around 4am. then you might be in a position of feeling like you need to take another one, which leads to my second big concern about Xanax....

Second, Xanax is very easy to get dependent on, both physically and emotionally. It generally gives very quick relief to symptoms, and to some people, a nice sense of well-being. You could start to like that, too much. And like I said above, it's shorter-acting than a long acting benzo, like Klonopin. Long-acting benzos can still create dependency, but there isn't that quick drop-off than can lead people to want to pop another pill. You mention being concerned about addiction to sleeping pills, but Xanax is highly addictive.

Third, there are so many other more effective sleep aids, and ones that are safer to use long-term. Benzodiazepines tend to be good for short-term use--you just had a death in the family and you haven't slept in 3 days, your spouse just suddenly left you, and you have to be able to function at work in the next couple of weeks without breaking down crying, you have to fly to Europe but you tend to have mild panic while flying. In these cases, the use of the benzo should be brief, taking the edge off but not numbing you, until you can get back on your feet. But IMO too many people end up on these drugs for years. Even if you take them exactly as directed, and never abuse them, over time, you will need higher and higher doses to get the same effect or to feel normal.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:02 PM

10 posts, read 18,452 times
I do not recommend getting involved with any medicine like Xanax. They call those benzodiazapines.
Benzo's are very addictive. A very small dose will help at first, then you will find yourself needing more and more.
A good mix of RX drugs for sleep is, a combination of Trazadone and hydroxyzine. Ask your doctor and DON'T start using Xanax for sleep. It's an anti-anxiety drug and is very strong.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health