Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2015, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,774 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a young teen. I do a lot of drawing, and I've been doing it for a very very long time now, along with my other friends who are also artists. I look up to them a lot, but it hurts to know that they are so much better then me. When i draw, I have no support to keep doing it, by anyone. No "oh my god! you're such a good artist! keep it up!"

Drawing doesn't really make me feel as happy as it used to. So this is where I ask the question, what's the point in doing something if it doesn't make you happy anymore? Sure I hear the saying 'If it makes you happy, keep it up! no matter what anyone else thinks!' or 'You do you. Don't let anyone tell you different!', even though those quotes are very much the truth, after a while it just tears you apart.

I go to my closest of friends, and ask them what to do, and they tell me, 'you talk to much about yourself,' or some of them answer like this. 'it doesn't matter if you like it or not. It's about the money. nothing else.' Which I know is a lie. If something makes you happy, you do it because it does. Not because of the money. If you really like something, money doesn't matter. That's why I've come here as a last resort before I quit doing what I used to love, in search of help, support, so on.

I am not looking for an answer saying, 'the only one that can change that is you'. Believe me I've tried. So while you read this message, thank you for acknowledging me. I appreciate it. So if you can help me change my mind in some magical way, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 03:22 AM

8 posts, read 6,094 times
Why you don't like to draw anymore? Is it because you think your friends achieved more than you do? Because you don't have any support from anyone? If you really like to draw, then you shouldn't be affected of people's complimenting your friends and yours were neglected. Or pleasing other people makes you happy? Check it out. Assess yourself. That's might what you want (or I'm wrong) but sadly you cannot please everybody. You knew it. Well, that really hurts.

If you really feel drawing is not your passion, then sit and take some time to think about what you like to do the most. Find it and pursue it. I believe in you. Nowadays, few people are following their passion coz some are just after the money. But it would be better if you both doing what you want and earning money.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:17 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times
I am a person who is good at many things but not superior at anything. Now I am in my 60's and can look back at times when I was frustrated over my stagnant skills or lack of passion. Along the way, healthy people learn to accept themselves. Along the way, we develop new hobbies and interests. I put aside drawing many, many years ago but recently I started sketching again. I found I remember my old techniques quite well and I am enjoying it again. There's nothing wrong with putting a hobby or a talent aside for a while to focus on other things.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,774 times
thank you

Old 12-08-2015, 09:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexic0 View Post
So this is where I ask the question, what's the point in doing something if it doesn't make you happy anymore?
Why would you look to others to define who you are? If you "love" to draw, why would you quit?
Are the compliments from others that important to you??? and if so why?
Maybe you're confusing working for a living (earning money) ,with drawing for the pleasure it gives you.
Many, many people DON'T enjoy going to work every day, slaving for another to put food on the table and a house over their heads...but they do. Not every thing in life can/will bring us happiness.
You've found something that you really enjoy...drawing...and if you can't support yourself from it...it doesn't mean you should just give it up. We all [make] time for what we enjoy doing most in life.
That's what gives us pleasure...why deny it to ourselves.

The point in doing something, even when it doesn't make you happy is that it teaches us tolerance, perseverance, and determination.

I don't derive happiness mucking out the barn, or freezing my a$$ off feeding the critters every morning.....or breaking the ice on the drinking water for the animals every day either...I do it for them...not me.
I don't know ONE person who finds happiness in everything they do in life. That (to me) is rarely attainable, and if that's what you feel you need to be happy in life you're only fooling yourself.
As a young teen, you'll learn in life that for the vast majority of people life is not all cookies and cream.
But we must all persevere, never give up, and face life's challenges as they come....that's what builds our character and makes us who we are.

Money really DOES matter when you're supporting yourself and your own, in that respect your friends are right..being happy doing what you love best is something we can all create for ourselves, despite having to earn a living....and that's not something you probably need to worry about right now...so just BE HAPPY.
Who cares weather you're complimented on what you do or not. Do it for YOURSELF.
Take care...enjoy life.

Last edited by purehuman; 12-08-2015 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-08-2015, 01:00 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,558 times
If you really don't enjoy something, then don't do it. You're a kid, you can have as many hobbies or interests that you want. We all can. I am confused about the money thing, is this adults saying this? Who sell their art?
I don't enjoy my job, but I do it because I have to have a job. That's a totally different thing though & I don't think you really need to worry about that yet. Sometimes we do have to do things we don't enjoy in life, that's just life.

But that doesn't mean we cant do things we do enjoy. I draw and paint and craft. I am not super amazing, but it's fun. I like to do many things. I am always up for finding a new hobby or interest. I run a couple 5k's a year, but I suck at running. Who cares? I do it because it's fun to do with friends. Life is short, try new things, and don't look to others for validation.

Old 12-10-2015, 02:24 PM

NexicO....Albert Einstein said something that I personally believe and live by:
"Only a life lived for others is worth living".....
That's how I derive great pleasure in my life....by giving whatever I can to those who are less fortunate in life.
Ask yourself what YOU do for others.
Maybe you're concentrating too much on what YOU want in life...maybe you'd be happier and find more joy in life if you spent even a little of your time helping others.
There are so many good people who would feel blessed to have a young person such as yourself just showing that you care.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:28 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexic0 View Post
Hello, I am a young teen.
From the forum terms of service...

Quote:
You must be 16 years of age or older to register.
(sorry)

Old 12-13-2015, 08:27 AM

Sorry for what Fubarbundy????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health