Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 05:34 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,753,744 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I was new at my job and pretty stressed out. I asked for a higher dosage of my anxiety meds. As time went on, I felt better and more comfortable at my job. The anxiety went away. Did the anxiety go away because of the meds, or because I got use to the job? Both? Should I try lowering my dosage and see if the anxiety returns? Has this happened to you? Thoughts?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 05:54 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I take SAMe every day, have for years. But sometimes I miss a few days recently and it does mess with me. I think the chemicals in my body cause the anxiety. Anyway, I figured out a long time ago that my anxiety can be dealt with in a mind-over-matter way. If I allow myself to give way to the anxiety, it's hopeless. I'll panic. If I focus my thoughts in a very small area (and I'm talking about being 60ft in the air on the T-tail of an airplane, etc) I'll be fine. I don't allow myself to "look down" so-to-speak. I'm sort of a control freak in a positive way.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:59 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
When I was being overdosed with meds, one for depression, one as a mood stabilizer and one for stress, all too strong, I decided to cut back all of them since I felt like I was on an endless bouncing ball as they hit, worked too good, and faded.

When I started feeling more like myself, I'd get into these panics. I had stuff I needed to do but couldn't sort out the fog around it all. So I'd also have a goal each day, something simple enough I could manage. It was my focus. With a focus I could let the other tone of things I felt I had to do fall away. As I cut back the pills it worked even better.

What I discovered was the real things I needed to sort out, I had to sort out. The pills were not going to help. I had to get past the fear of the sorting too, since I was afraid it would help me plunge off into the deep bad stuff. It might be a really small goal but if I did it, I felt better.

Eventually I stopped all the meds. I had explained in how I don't absorb pills right and dosages with them vary and nobody listened. So I cut out the pills and got off the rollercoaster. I finally did get to where I take nothing and will not start.

The scary time was after I moved, and away from the place where my bad memories happened, I couldn't put them back. I did a lot of mourning for things, and cried a lot. But I was able to store them back in their basket and close the cupboard door too.

I know they say there's no money, but I wish instead of doctors pedling pills, they'd use them to the minimum and employ more therapists since the problem with pills are they don't know what 'issues' you have are chemical and what are circumstances/experieces which pills won't fix, but can block enough you can't see them enough to banish them yourself.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hello,
I was new at my job and pretty stressed out. I asked for a higher dosage of my anxiety meds. As time went on, I felt better and more comfortable at my job. The anxiety went away. Did the anxiety go away because of the meds, or because I got use to the job? Both? Should I try lowering my dosage and see if the anxiety returns? Has this happened to you? Thoughts?

Thanks
I would give it a chance. Talk to your doctor, but it very possible you solved the problem and don't need the dosage now. My experince has been with meds that when the dosage is too high, it actually hurts your ability to work through thing yourself. Instead of looking at the problem and seeing why it isn't one, it stops you from looking and coming to terms with the problem.

Old 12-27-2015, 07:35 AM

162 posts, read 155,625 times
Meds alone won't solve anything. The point of them is to alleviate symptoms in order to make therapy easier.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veretina View Post
Meds alone won't solve anything. The point of them is to alleviate symptoms in order to make therapy easier.
Exactly. If the patient finds they zone them out too much to deal with the underlying problems because they vanished, or isn't sufficent to dim them enough they can be looked at, the meds are a problem. And as things change this needs to be monitored and lowered as therapy improves things. You can't live your life on tranqualizers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health