U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2015, 04:43 PM

188 posts, read 143,658 times

Advertisements

Have psych meds helped you with a problem?

Or harmed you (by making you addicted to them, giving you more delusions when you come off them, giving you diabetes, weight gain, etc.)?

Personally I feel like MDs plug psych meds cuz that's how they get paid a lot of money.

If the money was in therapy, you'd be prescribed bunch of therapy instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 06:04 PM

2,511 posts, read 1,298,999 times
Idk, it took YEARS for my doctor to give me any kind of medicine for my anxiety. And he has me in therapy as well to hopefully have me off the meds eventually.

I haven't had any issues with mine, but I also am only on a very low dose of xanax AS needed. I worry about taking it, and he doesn't like me taking it, so hopefully therapy will help or we will find something better soon. I do not like SSRI's at all and they did nothing for my anxiety. But the xanax works and does it's job.

I do think some give it out like nothing. My boss has xanax and he just likes it because it makes him super sleepy and he uses it to sleep. I know another person who just told their doctor they feel "anxious sometimes" so they could get the pills which they use for recreation.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:48 PM

188 posts, read 143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
Idk, it took YEARS for my doctor to give me any kind of medicine for my anxiety. And he has me in therapy as well to hopefully have me off the meds eventually.

I haven't had any issues with mine, but I also am only on a very low dose of xanax AS needed. I worry about taking it, and he doesn't like me taking it, so hopefully therapy will help or we will find something better soon. I do not like SSRI's at all and they did nothing for my anxiety. But the xanax works and does it's job.

I do think some give it out like nothing. My boss has xanax and he just likes it because it makes him super sleepy and he uses it to sleep. I know another person who just told their doctor they feel "anxious sometimes" so they could get the pills which they use for recreation.
Hmm. Every doctor I go to pushes meds on me like it's the last water on earth.

I actually wish I had a doctor like yours that wouldn't give meds out l.o.l. Maybe I need to pretend like I want them.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:06 PM

2,511 posts, read 1,298,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballdude39 View Post
Hmm. Every doctor I go to pushes meds on me like it's the last water on earth.

I actually wish I had a doctor like yours that wouldn't give meds out l.o.l. Maybe I need to pretend like I want them.
I really love my doctor. He's 100% on my side and I've never felt like he didn't care. I have concerns about medication and I am weird about what I take, as I have anxiety and a phobia towards specific side effects. It took a long time for me to even admit I needed the help of medication. He doesn't make me try things I don't want to try and he's honest about every medicine we consider. He knows I don't like ssri's and has never pushed them on me since. He knows I am not a fan of the xanax so he gave me a low, monitored dose which makes me feel more safe taking it. He's actually the one who got me into therapy which I will be starting soon. We are both hoping with the therapy I won't need any at all and we can slowly start weening me off it all. It's all about finding the right doctor for you!
I know some people have great results through medication alone, the xanax really does help me, but this can't be a forever thing and Im glad to have a doctor who knows that and wants what I want

And thats true lol maybe if you seem eager to get some they won't give you any haha I know I had to like sign a punch of papers and they drug tested me before they gave me xanax. I had to sign that I wouldn't sell them and all kinds of stuff. They take it pretty seriously. He said at their practice they wont give it to anybody who seems to eager for it and who hasn't been diagnosed with anxiety.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:57 AM

3,431 posts, read 3,355,376 times
Yes, they've helped me. Wouldn't be alive or lucid without them. Everyone's experience is different, but when they work, they work.

Old 01-02-2016, 04:10 PM

862 posts, read 1,005,121 times
I think that psych meds can work wonders for some people but the problem is they don't work the same for everyone. I've watched my wife who suffers from chronic depression, anxiety and agoraphobia play Russian roulette for the past three years with psych meds. In spite of trying the same meds that worked on her sister, after no fewer that 6 different medications, her psychiatrist has yet to find the right one for her.

This shows how little is understood about the chemical workings of the brain. The wrong meds (of which she's had many) seem exacerbate the problems she suffers from. When you add that up with the time it takes for the body to acclimate to a med, the ramping up and then scaling down of dosage on a med that's not working.....not to mention the "brain zaps", I can see how some folks would just give up on psych meds before finding a "fit".

For example, years ago I tried therapy and my Dr. wanted me to try Buspirone in conjunction with our sessions. The second day I was on it, I had such a bad reaction, I actually feared for my sanity. It was like a bad acid trip x 10. Even though I couldn't really blame the doctor for my reaction, it scared me away from psych meds for good.

Here's a good link in which a psychiatrist discusses his views on this very topic: If Medications Don’t Work, Why Do I Prescribe Them Anyway? | Thought Broadcast

Last edited by Catdancer; 01-02-2016 at 05:18 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 04:20 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,355,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
I think that psych meds can work wonders for some people but the problem is they don't work the same for everyone. I've watched my wife who suffers from chronic depression, anxiety and agoraphobia play Russian roulette for the past three years on meds. In spite of trying the same meds that worked on her sister, after no fewer that 6 different medications, her psychiatrist has yet to find the right one for her.

This shows how little is understood about the chemical workings of the brain. The wrong meds (of which she's had many) seem exacerbate the problems she suffers from. When you add that up with the time it takes for the body to acclimate to a med, the ramping up and then scaling down of dosage on a med that's not working.....not to mention the "brain zaps", I can see how some folks would just give up on psych meds before finding a "fit".

For example, years ago I tried therapy and my Dr. wanted me to try Buspirone in conjunction with our sessions. The second day I was on it, I had such a bad reaction, I actually feared for my sanity. It was like a bad acid trip x 10. Even though I couldn't really blame the doctor for my reaction, it scared me away from psych meds for good.

Here's a good link in which a psychiatrist discusses his views on this very topic: If Medications Don’t Work, Why Do I Prescribe Them Anyway? | Thought Broadcast
It really depends upon how ill a person is to begin with. If your symptoms are manageable without medication, kudos. If you have symptoms that are severe and disabling enough, to the point that you can't function or look after yourself, then trying medications until you find one that works is really the only option that you have. If all I had available was experimental medications, I'd still try them if I had no other choice. I can't function if I stay crazy.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:41 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,413,482 times
I'm one of those people who had shifts in mood all my life. I have always needed 'quiet time' even as a kid. And I'd be very inspired/animated/supercharged at other times which I directed into hobbies and art or reading. My mom was much like me. But when I was a kid people were not rushing to slap labels on people.

When I had a psych class in the last year of high school, they didn't have a teacher for it so we had the football coach. He planned out the game strategy, we read the book and answered the questions at the end of the chapter. I really found it interesting, but they had a chapter on manic depression. I thought, wow, sounds like me. But I didn't make it a negative. I had been channeling energy into creative stuff and downs into quiet and conventional or not, it worked.

Fast forward to the last twenty years. Relationships have been full of fireworks, on my side and his. But they lasted. Then his carefully hidden secret came out and it all started to fall apart.

I'm not good at stress. I got put on meds. But due to medical problems and surgery, I absorb food and medicine in very uneven ways. Most of it does nothing, but sometimes it will get absorbed too fast. This is something which I explained to the 'doctor'. I had been told I could not gain weight without risk. This I explained also.

The meds took away whatever self managiment I had. And I felt utterly zoned out, felt nothing. Or I'd take the AD and just go near hyper manic. I slept about three hours a night. I would explain but the so called doctors/quacks ignored it.

I decided to back my way out. I didn't tell them, but they noticed I seemed calmer and more stable. They would not have agreed. In the two years I was under the supposed 'care' of these 'doctors', I saw one for about ten to fifteen minutes about three months apart. That's how the county did it.

But what helped was stopping the meds, very very quietly and slowly. There are cycles, but they are muted. I know how to zap them if needed. The weight gain cause the physical problem (an extreme ileostomy) to not work right now. I just can't go there to have it redone from the start. But what CAUSED this was the weight gain, and I blame those who did not take my worries seriously.

I'll never take meds again. I don't even wish to talk to one of these quacks. They can't put my health back together and *that* is what troubles me more than any odd moods. Perhaps they should have to *try* the side effects they think are so unimportant first and see what they think.

We have two kinds of health and we need to remember that you'll not feel happy if pills compromized your health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or