Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 10:20 AM

258 posts, read 234,428 times

Advertisements

Are there any at-home-wives out there? I've always been an at-home mom of 3, but the kids are all above 13 years old now. We are in the process of moving, and my husband will have a job change, which sucks because he had always been around for me to talk to and such before.

I'm somewhat depressed, because the kids aren't around as much either- one is in college, and one more will be starting college next year. Plus, my hubby won't be here during the day either.

What do you other housewives do during the day? Anyone else get lonesome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 12:07 PM

2,146 posts, read 3,061,436 times
It's quite a change when your duties are less custodial. I still feel at sea sometimes.

Honestly, you can whatever you want to do. Do you want to go back to work? Are there hobbies you'd like to pursue? I know having too many choices can be overwhelming. You could try a little of everything until you find what you love.

Here are things I do: walk the dog, go to the gym--I've made some good friends there, visit my mom at her nursing facility, cook, volunteer in the local elementary school library. My husband and I started hiking recently--he works from home on Fridays and we take a few hours then. I also can run around and do all those errands that are crowded on the weekends.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to go back to work. My husband retires at the end of this year and I'd like to spend time with him.

Good luck to you. You sound sad, but I think you need to find your new normal.

Old 11-15-2016, 01:50 PM

Yes, this is alot of change this year. I don't plan to go back to work, but who knows.

I've spent so much time taking care of the kids (still do what I can), that I'm just lost. Hobbies?? What are those?!

Most other people are at work during the day, so days are the hardest part. Sometimes I have a hard time getting motivated in the mornings.

I'm hoping in time it will get easier.

Old 11-15-2016, 02:22 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
I do not work outside the home. We do not have children (got married later in life), so no children or grandchildren to assist.

We have a garden, a largish house, and I split most of our firewood. All of that takes time, also I exercise (ride our exercise bike), and volunteer in the community. In the winter I do more inside tasks - make bread, make jelly - the things I don't have time for in the summer.

One thing I do that may help you is - before I go to bed at night, I plan the next day. Major tasks I want to accomplish. "Stuff" happens, so sometimes I have to change my plans during the day. But having goals in mind for each day keeps me motivated.

I don't really like social media, but my town does have some FB groups that I am a part of. They allow me to connect with other sahw; I have made some friends through our town FB groups.

I agree that volunteering is an excellent way to stay connected to others. I was a Master Gardener for years - excellent way to meet others and to share your skills. You dont have to be a terrific gardener, either - they will train you.

Depending on your new neighborhood, you might find yourself in a position to be a sort of neighbor "mom" for the kiddos whose parents arent around very much...

Old 11-15-2016, 02:49 PM

I'm not on FB. I've thought about it, but then I'm like, who would befriend me? I've been out of the loop for so long. And since I don't exactly have a career, I'm kind of embarrassed. Look what others have done with their lives.
So, I'm not sure if I should. Might make me feel worse, you know?

Old 11-15-2016, 03:01 PM

983 posts, read 1,055,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny74 View Post
I'm not on FB. I've thought about it, but then I'm like, who would befriend me? I've been out of the loop for so long. And since I don't exactly have a career, I'm kind of embarrassed. Look what others have done with their lives.
You dont need FB friends to join the FB groups for your town! As long as you have a fb account, you can join all kinds of groups. It's a great way to meet people...

You have raised kids - mostly raised them, anyway. Nothing to be embarrassed about!

Volunteer! The schools need volunteers, libraries need them!...You probably have a lot of skills to share...and have you thought about taking a class or two? Wouldnt have to be at a college - might be a hobby type class like quilting or something related to computers...do a little brainstorming.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:14 PM

Yeah, I think a class would be fun. I may wait on the FB thing til we move. Maybe a class on FB?? lol I have no idea where to start with that stuff. I used to work at a library, before I got married. I've thought about doing that again.
Thanks.

Old 11-15-2016, 04:05 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I was a housewife for a few years. Loved it and was never bored.

Keep the house clean
Keep the yard clean
Couponing
gym
walks with the dog
paying bills/making appts
home cooked meals and pies

Find some hobbies: knitting, sewing, gym, swimming, yoga, bicycling, hiking, reading, making clothes, building stuff, learn a foreign language ...

Do everything you always wanted to do but never had time for!

I have female friends who make furniture. Others who joined book clubs, walking clubs, etc. through meetup.com

There is ALWAYS something fun to do!

Old 11-15-2016, 04:43 PM

446 posts, read 396,833 times
My mother was a stay-at-home wife and mother. She gardened, did housework, enjoyed cooking (very good cook!). She was also a very creative seamstress -- did beautiful embroidery, quilting, plus made her own clothes (and our clothes when we were growing up). When we were older, not at home as much (or off at college) she played bridge, played piano. She was active in our church. I don't think she had time to get bored! She did enjoy reading, but I don't know how much time she had for reading.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:13 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destiny74 View Post
You have accomplished one of the most challenging "careers" in life. You have managed a successful marriage, supported a partner, raised 3 fab kids. Not much more success in life.

You have strengths that you should utilize in fulfilling ways. Have you thought about volunteering for organizations that help underpriviliged kids? You are good at the kid thing right? Nothing is more appreciated than a Mom who knows what they are doing. You have done it X3.
Been there! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health