U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 07:44 PM

251 posts, read 158,332 times

Advertisements

Seriously. If it weren't for that, I'd be in a hell of a mental mess, that's for sure. I've been reading through this forum on both the psychology and mental health boards, and have found several instances where I thought "that could have been me!" Let's look at the list, shall we?

1. I am a very shy introverted individual. Once I get to know a person, I'll engage in conversations, but I only tend to keep it up if it is a topic that interests me personally. If I show no interest, I get bored immediately, making it hard to understand what the person is trying to talk to me about. This shyness towards individuals that I don't know manifests itself bigtime whenever I would go up for an interview for a job, making the process much more difficult than otherwise would be.

2. I am a poor long term organizer. I can plan things I'm going to do tomorrow, and a week from now, but when it comes to long term life planning, I just cannot do it. Period. I got good grades in both grade school and high school, but that was because I had a lot of guiding by both my parents and my teachers. I also had a lot of guiding in college and enjoyed my time there, but haven't been able to use my degree in anything. Because of this, I haven't accomplished much in life. I continue to be underemployed. I am not an independent person.

3. My sense of humor is basically gone. I just cannot take a joke anymore, and many jokes still tend to go over my head.

4. I cannot handle roommates. Period. Staying with my family is OK, because I've done it since I was an infant and am used to it, but affording your own space without others being around isn't cheap. I would much rather continue living with my parents than living in a crappy apartment with a bunch of roommates and noisy neighbors. My parents have been understanding and haven't kicked me out (thank god).

5. Sleep. I rank it high on my list of wants. Most young adults out there are able to stay active with limited amounts of sleep. I can't.

6. Alcohol. I hate it. Unfortunately, it the main substance used when adults (especially young men like myself) socialize. There really is no point going to parties.

Yes, I have Aspergers Syndrome and was an ADHD kid. My parents understand that I have a host of problems and that I'm pretty much unable to change. Unfortunately, they will not be around forever. This is a dilemma that will be sure to hit me hard and I honestly don't know what I'll end up doing, but for now, I'm continuing to enjoy my life thanks to their support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 08:10 AM

13,081 posts, read 16,282,204 times
It's nice that they can do that for you.
And that you're enjoying life.....who knows what's coming down the tubes...for any of us.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:43 PM

21 posts, read 14,151 times
Wow.... I feel the exact same way that you do and in very similar situation. I too wonder about my long term future but the best I can do is just take one day at a time.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:10 AM

26,157 posts, read 16,306,937 times
I feel the same and it scares me................

I love my family and dont wanna be alone/away from them.........

Old 11-30-2016, 06:41 PM

3,660 posts, read 2,080,530 times
I know what you mean but I don't know if I can be grateful as I should. I know my mom loves me but it's really difficult because we butt heads a lot with both of us having a disability. I want to work. I don't want her to have to work anymore because of me and it gets stressful her having all this stuff in the home. I know she has improved and she's trying her best but that doesn't mean I don't get more depressed when I see all the clutter.
Also like you said she's not going to be around forever and that depresses me too so I try not to think about it.

I've tried so many things to get a job. I try it on my own as well as getting help but I fail just as much if not more. I'm trying to read new books but I'm already frustrated because self help books have never helped me in the past and I glanced through Quiet but it seems like just fluff.

I am going to a concert this holiday season but I'm scared I'm not going to enjoy it because of this. I hope I don't cry in public. I am waiting to hear back from this job. I really need this to happen before then so I'm trying to be optimistic but last Christmas I was applying to enough jobs and I ended up with nothing. I think the Christmas before that was pretty much the same too.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:23 AM

855 posts, read 342,108 times
I wish I could rely on my family to do the same, but I can't.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:55 AM

5,185 posts, read 3,857,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPlatter View Post
I am a very shy introverted individual. Once I get to know a person, I'll engage in conversations, but I only tend to keep it up if it is a topic that interests me personally. If I show no interest, I get bored immediately, making it hard to understand what the person is trying to talk to me about. This shyness towards individuals that I don't know manifests itself bigtime whenever I would go up for an interview for a job, making the process much more difficult than otherwise would be.

Not an example of shyness in my book.

I'm easily bored by most subjects but feign interest for fear of hurting the other's feelings.

But what I call shyness is my reluctance to talk about myself for fear of imposing on the other person, and blushing when complimented.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:14 AM

258 posts, read 170,099 times
I feel like this about my husband. Scares me to death to think of losing him. He takes care of me.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:02 AM

50 posts, read 30,612 times
"One morning before dawn, she suddenly opened her eyes and looked clearly and intently at her daughter. 'You know,' she whispered softly, 'all my life I thought something was wrong with me.' Shaking her head slightly, as if to say, 'What a waste,' she closed her eyes and drifted back into a coma. Several hours later she passed away."

-From "The Best Buddhist Writing 2004"

I hope this helps people.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:03 PM

2,857 posts, read 7,658,988 times
Planning for your future is a very good idea. I have seen many dependant lives disrupted and changed by the death of their financial and emotional supporters.

Sit down with your support system and develop a plan, look into community supports, non profit services (housing, employment, etc.).
Apply for any benefits for which you might be eligible.

Planning will ease your supporters minds (they are probably as worried about you as you are) and will empower you with knowledge, confidence and the tools to move forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or