U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 09:54 PM

29 posts, read 20,816 times

Advertisements

I only have a few right now. One being Netflix. That gets boring after a while.

What are some of your hobbies or ways to keep you distracted? We can share ideas with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 06:44 PM

267 posts, read 348,793 times
Listening to music.

Stand-up comedy YouTubes. Louis CK. Rodman from Last Comic Standing.

Re-listening to some of my favorite podcasts.

Old 01-12-2016, 06:51 PM

9,644 posts, read 6,113,178 times
writing short stories, poems, sketching, cooking something new, surfing the web to learn about places near and far, gym, and relaxing to old school music.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:04 PM

2,880 posts, read 1,935,214 times
Match 3, hidden object, and cross and fill games on my laptop. I was just listening to a radio program that was talking about studies that show that certain types of video games can actually prevent traumatic events from creating PTSD if played for a certain amount of time within a certain time period of the event. There have been plenty of times when I was anxious or upset about something and playing a game for an hour helped quite a bit.

If I've had a particularly trying day, the only thing that makes me feel better is hanging with my two dogs.

Cooking is good, too.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:20 PM

4,476 posts, read 2,122,901 times
Surfing City Data. But avoid politics and current events. Retirement, TV, Gardening, are the most positive forums. They are calmng if you are in a bad mood.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:49 PM

2,918 posts, read 1,286,400 times
When I am in a depressive phase I don't push myself to do anything complex or that "hurts the brain". I lack concentration and go into anxiety easily.

I have been coloring pictures in an adult coloring book, playing interactive TV games like Solitaire or Mah Jong. I used to be crazy about crosswords and *** saws but overdid it and got tired of them. Same with Netflix. I've watched all the movies I could in my genres. City-Data is one of my go-tos.

If all else fails I take an Ativan.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:34 AM

10,194 posts, read 7,659,102 times
Hanging out with my kids helps me a lot.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:09 PM

3,700 posts, read 3,083,226 times
Reaing, games, the beach, etc. But when it comes down to it it's really just money. We are programmed in thousands of ways that if we do not have money we are unhappy. This is why people turn to the dark side and have children and crap. How disgusting that people breed in order not to feel their own ill disgust about themselves?

Old 01-17-2016, 02:02 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,413,482 times
Writing will draw me into a very directed state of mind. It also lets me use those feelings and imaginings in a practical way and sort of frees them to go. Accidently deleting part of a roughted out manuscript and having to recreate it before you forgot also is very distracting, thought I prefer writing it once.

If the down is about something, I'll take my favorite pen and a notebook and just start writing. I tell the pages about what I'm feeling and how I've tried to make it go away and anything which enters my mind. And I find often when I really let it flow the real issue/problem that's generating all the blah comes out. I also WRITE it by hand. When you do, you can see in the writing how as you feel your writing style changes, when your thinking carefully and write that way, when your can't write fast enough, when you get very neat and peaceful. This is what got me through a long illness which spanned a few years back out of high school. Keeping it in is the worse you can do.

Music is good too, depending on the mood. I do you tube tag. Pick one song, and then you have to find one from the suggestions on the side, and so on. I find I go from the remembering old lang zine sad to the ones which have really good memories.

But one thing I haven't thought of happened today. I've felt just vaguely down for a few days, not bad but not great. The light in the kitchen was slowly going out. It was getting very atmospheric, with the shadows. But its tricky to change and I was putting it off. So today it went out. I located a bulb and got the ladder and then turned it on. It's daylight bright. The interesting thing was almost immediately I felt lighter, and better. It's not sunlight but it worked like it, without the cold wind. Especially in winter when its cold and often cloudy, weather can be a real downer and that bright shiny light can help lift it.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:32 AM

3,720 posts, read 2,278,417 times
taking my dog for a walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health