U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 04:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,301 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was looking for an online mental health forum where I could find maybe other people going through something similar as me. I'm in my mid 20s and I have really severe depression, anxiety & I don't know what else. I haven't had a job in 2 years and 4 months, I don't know how I let so much time pass by. Of course I'm really embarrassed of how far down I've gone. I had a good job for 2 years before this, graduated from a great university but lost track of time and because my mental health is really bad I didn't really apply to jobs. Some recruiters contacted me and I had interviews but b/c of my anxiety in talking to others, I refused jobs working in an office like my last job.

Now that I'm looking for work, I search for remote jobs so I can work from home but haven't seen many. I'm also interested in doing bookkeeping but need training so more time will elapse before I'm employed so I'm anxious about my unemployment lasting longer!

I'm trying to get medical insurance so I can get medication and counseling which I think will help me. Just wondering if anyone has advice or words of encouragement. I feel like such a failure and am so embarrassed of my situation but I feel like it's hard to get out of the hole I've gotten myself into. Thank you,

Last edited by zabt007; 01-07-2016 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 07:21 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,898,384 times
What have you been doing for the past 2 years? I'm only asking because you mention not having health insurance so you're not seeing a therapist or psychiatrist or taking any medication.

I know you want a job and need the money, but if you don't work through your mental illness it might be hard to find a job and stay employed.

If you haven't been working how are you surviving financially? Have you looked into Social Services and Medicaid?

Old 01-07-2016, 08:11 AM

13,253 posts, read 38,139,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabt007 View Post
Hi, I was looking for an online mental health forum where I could find maybe other people going through something similar as me. I'm in my mid 20s and I have really severe depression, anxiety & I don't know what else. I haven't had a job in 2 years and 4 months, I don't know how I let so much time pass by. Of course I'm really embarrassed of how far down I've gone. I had a good job for 2 years before this, graduated from a great university but lost track of time and because my mental health is really bad I didn't really apply to jobs. Some recruiters contacted me and I had interviews but b/c of my anxiety in talking to others, I refused jobs working in an office like my last job.

Now that I'm looking for work, I search for remote jobs so I can work from home but haven't seen many. I'm also interested in doing bookkeeping but need training so more time will elapse before I'm employed so I'm anxious about my unemployment lasting longer!

I'm trying to get medical insurance so I can get medication and counseling which I think will help me. Just wondering if anyone has advice or words of encouragement. I feel like such a failure and am so embarrassed of my situation but I feel like it's hard to get out of the hole I've gotten myself into. Thank you,
You should absolutely look for help with your depression and anxiety. Whether that involves meds or not is between you and the professionals. In the meantime, I recommend a schedule for yourself:

1. Get up at the same time every morning, whether you have plans or not.
2. Have a morning routine, and stick with it. If you haven't developed a morning routine, create one. If you are not employed, then this IS your job, at least for now.
3. Include looking for work as a part of your morning routine. Even if it's just checking the same job search websites every single day, and finding nothing new in them, it's still part of your job to check them.
4. Give yourself time away from the computer every morning to do some physical exercise. 10 jumping jacks followed by lifting dumbbells for a few minutes, then jogging around your hallways (or better - jogging around your block), with some stretches and lunges and squats - whatever you are physically able to do for a solid 1/2 hour, do it. Get your heart pumping, as part of your morning routine. Every single day. Seven days a week.
5. Eat breakfast. Every day, around the same time of each day. It doesn't have to be a big meal - could be just coffee and toast. But make it part of the routine.

Have something for lunch. Make it something nourishing but tasty. A little roast chicken with a salad, or if you're vegetarian, a hefty spoonful of hummus with tahini over lettuce and tomato and onion.

Drink lots of water, not too much soda.

Have a piece of citrus fruit that you peel and segment yourself. Citrus oils are uplifting, just the smell alone can help your overall mood (it won't cure your depression, but it can give you a momentary reprieve!)

Use the afternoon to serve yourself however is needed: gathering info for Social Services, banking, paying bills, requesting extensions on payments for things, calling doctors and getting appointments, following up on yesterday's work that is waiting for a response from someone else, catching up on your e-mails, etc. etc.

Eat dinner.

Spend the evening alternating between reading something totally unrelated to your life (such as - sci-fi fantasy, or poetry about nature, or the history of a religion you've never heard of previously, for example), watching a half hour of mindless sitcoms, and more physical exercise (squats, lunges, sit-ups, anything you can do on your living room floor). This will help you disconnect from your troubles, if only temporarily, while still feeding your mind with interesting (and hopefully educational) things.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:44 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,495,531 times
Advice- don't beat yourself up over your mental condition. Having these issues is challenging enough, feeling like a loser will only make things worse. Look at the bright side, you are alive. It happens that people who feel as you do are on the edge of taking their life.
It's good that you want a job. Shows that you are not at the bottom of this mental hole.

The routine posted above is great. I would add to that routine; journal your thoughts feelings and plans- then end it by expressing something you are grateful for, such as, I still have a roof over my head, the sun is beautiful, I love ice cream....it can be so simple or something more important, does not matter...just be sure to aknowledge and express it.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:53 PM

639 posts, read 427,374 times
I agree with the above. Depression can be debilitating. Then you start beating yourself up about the past and make it 10 times worse. This might sound dumb, but read about up lifting things, and meaning of life type stuff. Most importantly, get professional help, and don't let them let you slip through the cracks. I've seen people close to me misdiagnosed for years then get the right meds for them, The difference was night and day. Best of luck.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:46 AM

Location: I'm out searching for me... If you see me, let me know... ;--)
3,551 posts, read 1,997,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabt007 View Post

I understamd your feelings. I was unemployed and under
under-employed (2 years) for six years due to my severe depression. You will thru this. You are taking care of you- not putting yourself in same kind or situation. Keep looking for work that is good for you. You know best.

For me I found help with counseling that helped me look at why I felt/ reacted as I did. I moved back to WI, where they have insurance for adults, no children. I finally found a part time, 25 hr job at a job just rigjt for for me- grocery cashier. And I found my apt (after 4 mo of homelessness!) and on my way to better things!

You can do it. Keep searching for just the right job. In the meantime continue taking care of yourself, so you are better able to do you new job and improve your life.

Best wishes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or