U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 04:46 PM

5,313 posts, read 2,536,144 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Can anyone suggest a good forum for discussing recovery issues?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 05:41 PM

251 posts, read 166,429 times
I am interested this topic also, not sure there is a forum here for that? I wonder how we can start one?

Old 01-10-2016, 05:56 AM

14,017 posts, read 18,581,089 times
I think you're in the right place. Discuss away.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:00 AM

9,467 posts, read 9,097,174 times
recovery from what? mental,physical. not that it matters just asking...

Old 01-10-2016, 11:52 PM

15,438 posts, read 23,474,444 times
Well, there's only one recovery I'm familiar with, Alcohol recovery.

I am aware that there are many types. I am someone who has been carefully guided into specializing in one very specific recovery for one very specific affliction via one very specific program, namely A.A.

I say that to say this, as very specific as it is, I've been shown that what I have learned is either of no use to most people and of no need or no want to even more.

Now, assuming that those very few rare people like myself would want to come into this subforum and discuss that very specific thing, where would be the best place to stick a subforum like alcohol or drug or "insert affliction here" recovery?

Maybe here in Health and Wellness. Maybe in Religion and Spirituality. Maybe in Philosophy. Maybe in Food and Beverage. Maybe in Alternative Medicine. .. no, scratch that. Tried that, to no success.

The problem with my limited experience is that I was shown the very specific and to many people, useless method of recovery, 12-step.

I had good experience with it myself. Don't have time to even attempt to get into it here.

But what can I say to contribute to this thread here? Idk. I suppose the only advise to folks trying to get a thread or even a subforum related to this topic here or elsewhere is this, have an open mind. Speak from your own experience or voice your opinion, and respect others theirs.

I could direct folks to other forums away from city-data forums that discuss recovery, but I've seen nothing good from them... in the long run that is.

Maybe, this will change one day. I should work on that open mind.

I'll close with this, I'm sober 12 years now. I don't want to drink booze. I don't want to get high on drugs. So I don't. But why don't I? Because I've found a sufficient substitute. I've found what I got from bourbon, a way to raise my consciousness ... to Bliss if need be. And unlike booze and drugs and other things we do, it's not a stolen nor borrowed experience. It's a Spiritual thing.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:35 AM

3,074 posts, read 4,247,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Well, there's only one recovery I'm familiar with, Alcohol recovery.

I am aware that there are many types. I am someone who has been carefully guided into specializing in one very specific recovery for one very specific affliction via one very specific program, namely A.A.

I say that to say this, as very specific as it is, I've been shown that what I have learned is either of no use to most people and of no need or no want to even more.

Now, assuming that those very few rare people like myself would want to come into this subforum and discuss that very specific thing, where would be the best place to stick a subforum like alcohol or drug or "insert affliction here" recovery?

Maybe here in Health and Wellness. Maybe in Religion and Spirituality. Maybe in Philosophy. Maybe in Food and Beverage. Maybe in Alternative Medicine. .. no, scratch that. Tried that, to no success.

The problem with my limited experience is that I was shown the very specific and to many people, useless method of recovery, 12-step.

I had good experience with it myself. Don't have time to even attempt to get into it here.

But what can I say to contribute to this thread here? Idk. I suppose the only advise to folks trying to get a thread or even a subforum related to this topic here or elsewhere is this, have an open mind. Speak from your own experience or voice your opinion, and respect others theirs.

I could direct folks to other forums away from city-data forums that discuss recovery, but I've seen nothing good from them... in the long run that is.

Maybe, this will change one day. I should work on that open mind.

I'll close with this, I'm sober 12 years now. I don't want to drink booze. I don't want to get high on drugs. So I don't. But why don't I? Because I've found a sufficient substitute. I've found what I got from bourbon, a way to raise my consciousness ... to Bliss if need be. And unlike booze and drugs and other things we do, it's not a stolen nor borrowed experience. It's a Spiritual thing.
You already know, I'm sure, that the "Spirituality" thing is not in vogue now days. And my daughter, who is also recovering, told me that "AA "Big Book" is an old thing from back in the 1930's. So, Dog, care to share on how you removed the "urge" to drink from your life, in modern day terms, I presume ?

Old 01-11-2016, 06:48 PM

I did that worthless and untried untrue antiquated outdated cult-driven religious program called the 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Wow. Blasphemy. I need to apologize that I did not find the 5% nor the 3% nor the 1% nor the -52% success rate in A.A. to be true, don't drive drunk, don't beat my wife, don't hoarf down cigarettes all day long, don't attend 8 hours of my day in A.A. meetings, don't set myself up in a position to take advantage of the vulnerable new folks sent to A.A., etc.

I feel the need to say this because these are the claims against A.A. all over the Internet. There are also claims to the uselessness of the spiritual approach to recovery. Don't believe me, look around.

All I can say with authority is this: if you can keep yourself sober on your own power, do it. If you can control your affliction on your own, with the use of therapy, positive thinking, going to the gym, getting a hobby, Love Thy Neighbor, do it.

Rational Recovery. Maybe that's where the future is.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:15 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,516,879 times
AA is a great program for those willing to do the work..
Recovery is not easy, its going to be a life long process.. It does however get easier with time..

It involves giving of yourself, your time, effort, work, selfless acts to others with not a want or need of reward..
It is a program of suggestions, and in that antiquated book are words of wisdom and truths that every alcoholic man or woman sees in themselves..
I do not say that a 12 step program is for everyone.. I absolutely do not believe in an allmighty god... I have gained though and through AA a certain spiritual awareness..

How so you ask..?
I can't tell you that, you work your recovery as you see fit..
There are certain suggestions.
I choose to help others, even if I may need more help than they do..

I'll also add this, I do not particularly like all 12 step meetings.. Some are very cool, some awful..
Went to a meeting tonight, its a very big and been there forever meeting.. Big Book, that evil blue thing...

It's my sponsor's home group, I work early Tuesdays so normally don't go...
I can't stand this meeting, its like a remberence of the high school click..
Lots of sobriety, hundreds of years all added up.. To me they are snobs..

Find your own group, there are so many 12step groups now, around here many, some 3-4times a day.. In many locations all over town.. I don't live in a city..
Sit down, shut up and listen to what others have to say... Arrive early, stay late to make acquaintances...
Stick around to take out the garbage, wipe a table, empty the coffee filter that usually remains from the previous meeting..

Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 PM

I went to a group like that, but you are expected to contribute, aka share your current experience in the steps, when called on.

Someone with 30 years sober isn't any more sober than the new man with say three months who's also been through a set of steps.

What's a new man/woman in A.A. with just a few months expected to look like? Well, a sober, recovered alcoholic, that's what.

Just because you're new doesn't mean you sit around until the meeting is done, wash all the ashtrays, throw all the coffee cups away, put all the chairs up, etc. The new man can contribute to 12 step work just as much if not moreso than the one with "time".

The wet drunk will hear the three month sober person way more than the longtimer.

I say the most important thing about A.A. is doing steps. Find folks who do them themselves and guide you through them quickly and correctly, just like the founders did.

Do that, and see how successful A.A. is for you personally. Don't worry too much about the other 1.x million others who may or may not get it.

As far as Almighty God? A.A. asks that you have an open mind, read chapter 4, and decide God is everything or God is nuthin.

Pretty simple.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:23 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,516,879 times
I'm going on 2 years and an incomplete 4th step...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health