U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 12:24 PM

23,785 posts, read 25,708,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLessons View Post
I really need to make some changes, and I think this is a good place to start, my self esteem has been the problem for years. And I want to change this most of all.
In what ways is your self esteem a problem? Is it solely about dating or does it bleed into other aspects of your life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 12:34 PM

17,711 posts, read 15,685,541 times
Get out of your own head and focus outwardly. Talk to your friends and family...really talk to them, see what's bugging them, and offer to help in some way. Always be on the lookout for ways you can do small favors and kindnesses for others.

Once you start to forget about yourself, you can do some bigger things. Volunteer for something. Raise money for a cause. Give your time.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:37 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,391,863 times
Focus on the goals you've achieved in your life. Most especially those in the last few years. By thinking successful, you'll go a distance in gaining self-esteem.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:26 PM

16 posts, read 9,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
You asked what worked for "me" so I told you. It works for quite a few people but as other posters sometimes say, "your mileage may vary." I am sorry if it doesn't work for you. Maybe you need to find someone to confide in and get to the root of your self esteem issues.
Of course, you're right, I'm just feeling lazy I think! I'm just going to have to try. I know.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:34 PM

16 posts, read 9,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
In what ways is your self esteem a problem? Is it solely about dating or does it bleed into other aspects of your life?
I think its definitely affected many areas of my life, but, this could also be related to my personality-introverted, I used to go hiking and running a lot and it was good for me to get the fresh air, the exercise, and the outdoors in my system, without having to go to a 'gulp' gym.

I know that a lot of these suggestions are ones that you hear commonly because they really work, and I will just have to start doing it.
I do need to get out 'there' more, I'm feeling the effects of months of just working and coming home and sleeping and going to work again, I will just have to make the time in there for the baby steps of getting back to feeling better and trust the process.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:38 AM

3,113 posts, read 2,464,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLessons View Post
I think its definitely affected many areas of my life, but, this could also be related to my personality-introverted, I used to go hiking and running a lot and it was good for me to get the fresh air, the exercise, and the outdoors in my system, without having to go to a 'gulp' gym.

I know that a lot of these suggestions are ones that you hear commonly because they really work, and I will just have to start doing it.
I do need to get out 'there' more, I'm feeling the effects of months of just working and coming home and sleeping and going to work again, I will just have to make the time in there for the baby steps of getting back to feeling better and trust the process.
As I often remind myself, sometimes cliches are cliches for a reason- because they are just so true and valid.
I know I need to remind myself of lots of these. I know in particular that physical activity in addition to be good for physical health is quite beneficial for my mental state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or