Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 AM

196 posts, read 422,404 times

Advertisements

Didn't sleep all that great last night, and am already tired at the thought of dealing with people today.

Although I'm still waiting to have my PDs formally diagnosed, I think anyone who has one truly knows they have one. It's not just how they feel - it's what they see in the faces of those around them when they act how they feel.

I also think anyone who has a reasonable grasp of this also knows how to moderate, because life is full of unpleasantness for someone who has a PD, but cannot self-moderate. They find themselves alone, friendless, not getting promoted at work, and generally being unsuccessful because they react how they feel.

But as we know, when you have a PD, it takes concentration and effort to not be "yourself". You must be ever vigilant, ensuring that you recognise any time someone is about to set you off or trigger an inappropriate response. You then need to put the effort into stopping this response in its tracks, controlling your response and facial expressions, internalizing the issue, and responding appropriately. Phew! Self-taught CBT!

It's really too bad that I'm an extrovert who loves being around other people (there is some narcissistic supply there, too) but have gotten to the point where I find it just too tiring to deal with people. I know my wife believes I am becoming antisocial, but I don't think she realizes how tiring being "normal" is.

And people wonder why people who have PDs become depressed. Spending your life ever-vigilant in an exhausting battle against your own ingrained behaviours gets to be a grind. And unfortunately, because the adults in our lives didn't think to teach us what appropriate adult behaviours are, we get to look forward to this the rest of our lives.

Wheeeeee.

Gah, guess I just needed to get that off my chest today. Really tired of being tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 10:08 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,210,432 times
What is a CBT?

What is a PD?

Old 01-20-2014, 11:42 AM

CBT - Cognitive behaviour therapy.

Good explanation on Wikipedia. Cognitive behavioral therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a nutshell:
"Therapists or computer-based programs use CBT techniques to help individuals challenge their patterns and beliefs and replace "errors in thinking such as overgeneralizing, magnifying negatives, minimizing positives and catastrophizing" with "more realistic and effective thoughts, thus decreasing emotional distress and self-defeating behavior""

For example, as I have signs of narcissistic personality disorder, when someone challenges me, I can get very defensive, incredibly mad, and behave in an way and at a level that is inappropriate for the situation. A small thing becomes something way bigger than it is, and it becomes time for me to lay waste.

Using CBT, I have to be alert and recognize that:
- The challenge may be only a small one, and is not a direct effrontery to my entire human being
- That I am becoming physically and emotionally elevated, and ready to blow

Then I need to defuse this through forcing the bad thoughts out of my brain, and replacing them with healthy ones (such as "I'm not being challenged. Instead, I'm being offered an opportunity to educate"). I also need to mentally calm myself down, and force myself to replace the scowl on my face with a pleasant expression.

After years of doing this, it is supposed to become second nature. Me, I find that when I'm alert that it's automatic. However, when I'm tired, it is so much effort, I'd rather not deal with anybody.

PD - Personality disorder.

Also a good summation on Wikipedia. Personality disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a nutshell, a PD means that the individual has not learned what "proper" behaviour is. Although there can be some biological basis for some of the PDs, most are a result of being brought up in a dysfunctional environment. This is why they respond so poorly to medications, and CBT is considered the most effective treatment.

In some cases CBT can almost reform your thinking patterns, but really, the neural pathways and parts of the squishy grey thing were set during those important baby-adolescent years. It reminds me of doing electrician work in an old house....you never can really rewire what is there - it's more about jumping some circuits.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:08 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,210,432 times
This comes to mind...
What Is Intellectualization? - Defense Mechanisms

Old 01-20-2014, 01:17 PM

It is in a similar vein, where one has to use their conscious mind to overcome their body's physical and emotive reactions.

However, I believe intellectualization is more of a logical defence reaction to dealing with a stressful or anxiety-driven situation (i.e. I'm scared of flying emotionally, so I'll intellectualize why flying is safe).

CBT is more trying to overall change your brain's thought patterns, mainly recognising the patterns that trigger an inappropriate emotional/physical response, and stopping it from happening. The trick is to make this a habit.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 PM

745 posts, read 1,641,845 times
This "personality disorder" stuff is just another ruse to sell drugs and to feed the Psychiatrists.
You are watching too much TV.
Think for yourself - don't let the media do it for you.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:13 PM

Hey OhZone,

Have you done any research into personality disorders, or taken any university level psychology courses? Familiar with the work of Dr. Skinner? Raised in an abusive household with any parent(s) with substance issues?

Just curious, as I wasn't sure what you were basing your recommendation on, especially as I average maybe 3 hours of TV per week outside football season, and 9 hours a week during.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish View Post
Hey OhZone,

Have you done any research into personality disorders, or taken any university level psychology courses? Familiar with the work of Dr. Skinner? Raised in an abusive household with any parent(s) with substance issues?

Just curious, as I wasn't sure what you were basing your recommendation on, especially as I average maybe 3 hours of TV per week outside football season, and 9 hours a week during.
I'm a long time fan of NLP. Before that I subscribed to the work of Richard Sutphen. He had a tape on the Bushido Personality. I turned it on while I was getting ready for work - just letting my subconscious mind soak up the suggestions. It was really transforming.

Most people have never learned to run their own brain. Research books by Richard Bandler and others doing NLP. Take them seriously. Apply what you learn from them. Also What Is NLP?

As to the guy raised in an abusive household, Richard would probably tell him to quit whining about his childhood; that he's an adult now and should grow up and think for himself. Too often people spend their lives wallowing in self-pity instead of just getting on with life.

Every movie, every commercial, every news cast on TV is designed as a mind-control device. What you see and hear on it influences what you think about the world. It plays to your emotions molding your opinions. There is nothing fair and balanced about the news; they tell you what they want you to know. Mass Mind Control Through Network Television and
Mind Control Theories and Techniques used by Mass Medias

"Personality Disorders" were invented to sell drugs. Are the powers that be trying to mold us all into one type of personality? Conform and obey. If you don't conform you have a "disorder"?

Old 01-23-2014, 08:01 PM

26,574 posts, read 26,433,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
"Personality Disorders" were invented to sell drugs.
Heniz Kohut was the first to write about personality disorders, specifically Narcissistic Personality Disorder. He was born in Austria in the early 20th century. Not too many drugs around then. (Besides, many personality disorders don't respond well to medication, the way mood or thought disorders do.)

Old 01-24-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Heniz Kohut was the first to write about personality disorders, specifically Narcissistic Personality Disorder. He was born in Austria in the early 20th century. Not too many drugs around then. (Besides, many personality disorders don't respond well to medication, the way mood or thought disorders do.)
Tell me exactly why Narcissistic Personality is a "disorder".
Apparently Heniz Kohut was judging others by himself.
Should we press for monopersonality like a Borg colony?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health