Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 05:06 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,731,272 times

Advertisements

My wife is well documented with Type 1 Bipolar. She has been hospitalized several times, and life with her can be challenging (I posted a little while ago here during a particularly difficult time //www.city-data.com/forum/menta...-my-wifes.html)

Anyway, we re-started marriage counseling with a new counselor yesterday. The catalyst was she threatened suicide if I went on a business trip. When I described the difficulties and and problems in our relationship from my perspective, the counselor asked if she had ever been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. She hadn't, but usually her previous treatments had focused on her acute bipolar crises.

Anyway she has at least 8.5 of the 9 symptoms described by the Mayo Clinic Borderline personality disorder Symptoms - Mayo Clinic The 0.5 is for risky behavior, which only manifests itself when she is very manic.

Today she is very angry and feels like I and the counselor are picking on her faults, instead of fairly looking at all my faults as well. She is saying she won't go back to counseling. Honestly, from my newly-gained knowledge, that seems like a very BPD thing to do.

Now I do have my faults as well, but I was shocked at how much the symptoms fit her. She says that she only has those symptoms when she is recovering from bipolar episodes, and she hasn't received an official diagnosis. And It's fair to say that they are worse at times, and better at others. But looking back, these behaviors have been a pattern for a long time.

With that said, I have a few questions:
  • Has anyone improved a relationship with someone who suffers from borderline?
  • What did you do on your part?
  • How long did it take?
  • Was that person resistant to change, or did they want to change?
  • How much did children of the BPD patient suffer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 05:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
I worked between two manic-depressives; two people who hated each other, no less. I retired early. Those two people made life impossible.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:26 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
The suicide threat when you went away and the quitting therapy and feeling picked on do feel very BPD. Its a hard disorder to treat. And the person has to really, really want it. Its intensive...maybe 3 sessions a week for years. Look into DBT.

Good luck! Not an easy road. Do you have kids?

Old 03-02-2016, 05:30 PM

I looked at your posts...looks like you do. Stay in therapy with out your wife. You need help navigating this, esp with your daughter at stake.

Women with BPD will some times try to annihilate their daughters in the teen years (emotionally, socially, sexually or physically)

Old 03-02-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I looked at your posts...looks like you do. Stay in therapy with out your wife. You need help navigating this, esp with your daughter at stake.

Women with BPD will some times try to annihilate their daughters in the teen years (emotionally, socially, sexually or physically)
Yes, we have kids. The conflicts with my daughter make more sense now. I wouldn't say she's trying to annihilate her, but she assumes that normal teenage behavior is personally directed toward her, and reacts in a way that a healthy mother wouldn't.

I also started our daughter in therapy two weeks ago. I'm going to go to therapy, whether my wife does or not. There is good in her too, but we need to make sure any harmful behavior is minimized.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:09 PM

There is good in everyone. My dad was addicted to my BPD mom. He just couldn't see what she was really like. Even years after divorce, he is still oddly in love with her. Men that fall in love with BPD women are often struggling with their own "junk". I am glad you are going to stay in therapy. I hope you find it helpful

Old 03-02-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
There is good in everyone. My dad was addicted to my BPD mom. He just couldn't see what she was really like. Even years after divorce, he is still oddly in love with her. Men that fall in love with BPD women are often struggling with their own "junk". I am glad you are going to stay in therapy. I hope you find it helpful
Could I ask if your mother recognized her issues and tried to improve or if she denied them? How harmful do you feel living with your mother was? Of course, only answer as much as you feel comfortable.

Her latest comment was that "everyone tries to give me new diagnoses, like it's a joke to them or something," and she is searching for evidence she doesn't have it. I wish she would at least be open to seeing if she can develop strategies to overcoming negative patterns. My biggest concern is she will refuse to go to any sort of therapy to change any patterns.

Again she hasn't had a diagnosis, and now I don't think she would be open to getting one. My personal feeling is that mental illnesses aren't clean-cut, like diagnosing someone with the flu. I feel like there is a broad spectrum with a lot of overlap of symptoms.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:43 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,203 times
I have BPD. It is a nightmare

Old 03-03-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
Could I ask if your mother recognized her issues and tried to improve or if she denied them? How harmful do you feel living with your mother was? Of course, only answer as much as you feel comfortable.

Her latest comment was that "everyone tries to give me new diagnoses, like it's a joke to them or something," and she is searching for evidence she doesn't have it. I wish she would at least be open to seeing if she can develop strategies to overcoming negative patterns. My biggest concern is she will refuse to go to any sort of therapy to change any patterns.

Again she hasn't had a diagnosis, and now I don't think she would be open to getting one. My personal feeling is that mental illnesses aren't clean-cut, like diagnosing someone with the flu. I feel like there is a broad spectrum with a lot of overlap of symptoms.
She denied it...to the point of saying everyone else around her had BPD. If a doctor brought it up, she would get up and storm out. She was first diagnosed when she was 19 so it was known. But she denied it.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:29 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,614 times
Hi coolcats - I'm sorry of your situation and I am impressed what a good husband you are. I don't have experience that is helpful, but I did read this memoir: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159...ilpage_o02_s00

It is written by a mom with bpd. She was successfully treated somewhat and had the disorder for years before being dx'ed properly. She was self aware and that helped tremendously. She also didn't want to harm her children emotionally so she put the work in. Her husband was very loyal as well. There might be better ones to read; my former bf's ex-wife recommended this one to me.

I was involved with a cluster B man so I did a lot of reading since I could not make sense of our relationship at all. My last bf was bipolar so did a lot of reading on that as well. That is why I'm noticed your posts I guess. I'm not married to them though, huge dif. My sister was horribly mentally ill so I tend to try not to write off ppl immediately due to illnesses many don't understand or tolerate.

My bipolar bf was very self aware and healthier than a lot of non bipolar men I've known - and very mature for his age. I think if you wife is self aware the struggle might go more smoothly.

There is a poster around here who "recovered" from bpd. They give great insightful information. I hope they see your thread.

I wish you and your family all the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health