Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 12:44 PM

458 posts, read 329,174 times

Advertisements

Since things have been spiraling down in my marriage for a while. My self esteem has seemed to take a steady hit. I have been picking myself apart, wondering who would want me...a divorced woman that doesn't make much money and has a child. I used to be so confident. I don't have a strong sense of self right now. When will it get better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 12:50 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
My mother has since told me this is exactly how she felt when she and my father first split up (when I was very young). Fast forward to her current life with her awesome second husband and a career she loves.

The unknown is scary, but second chances do happen.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:57 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbloodedwoman View Post
When will it get better?
When you decide to make it better.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:29 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Since things have been spiraling down in my marriage for a while. My self esteem has seemed to take a steady hit. I have been picking myself apart, wondering who would want me...a divorced woman that doesn't make much money and has a child. I used to be so confident. I don't have a strong sense of self right now. When will it get better?

Once you accepted that the change is for the better and take charge of your own happiness.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:32 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
I don't have a strong sense of self right now. When will it get better?
You'll start feeling better about yourself when you're by yourself. Being in a situation that feels like a failed event isn't going to make you feel better. Deciding to end a marriage is a big scary decision for some. It was for me, I didn't trust my judgement, if I was in such an unhappy place, how would I know if any of my decisions were right?

Taking time to NOT worry about who will want you will help. Your child wants you! They need to see you happy and well adjusted. They're scared too, work on having a peaceful lives for yourselves first before thinking about any new relationships. You'll have to get to know yourself before you can think clearly about what/who it is you really want in your life.

Being single can be fun too!

Good luck!

Old 05-10-2016, 04:17 PM

458 posts, read 329,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbcrazycatlady View Post
You'll start feeling better about yourself when you're by yourself. Being in a situation that feels like a failed event isn't going to make you feel better. Deciding to end a marriage is a big scary decision for some. It was for me, I didn't trust my judgement, if I was in such an unhappy place, how would I know if any of my decisions were right?

Taking time to NOT worry about who will want you will help. Your child wants you! They need to see you happy and well adjusted. They're scared too, work on having a peaceful lives for yourselves first before thinking about any new relationships. You'll have to get to know yourself before you can think clearly about what/who it is you really want in your life.

Being single can be fun too!

Good luck!
Yes to everything you're saying! I don't trust my judgement, but I can't keep putting a bandaid on things. I just feel so needy right now. God I hope it passes.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:34 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Be careful with the needy feelings, it seems like all the wrong guys pick up on that and want to tell you: "You're the one for me!" Take it as a compliment but fill your free time with confidence building things like maybe buy a new piece of exercise equipment (I hate gyms) get a haircut, go shopping, find a great author....rebound dating just makes one confused.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:43 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Think of this as a second getting out of high school feeling--you could go anywhere and do anything. Within reason of course since you have a child, but think of those things you wanted to do when you were married, and you didn't. Now think of how you can do those things in a healthy way, with your child. The child comes first of course but your wants and needs are important too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health