Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 04:43 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,762,650 times

Advertisements

To what US city would you move to if you had the chance to begin a new life somewhere and you were very depressed, all alone and not close to your family (as in it wouldn't matter if you never saw them again)?

I wasn't sure where to put this, but since it pertains to my feeling of entrapment and being depressed in this new city that I moved to after my mom died, I thought the MH forum was appropriate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 01:51 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Miami. I lived in miami before and would move back if I was feeling depressed and lost my wife.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:01 AM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
To what US city would you move to if you had the chance to begin a new life somewhere and you were very depressed, all alone and not close to your family (as in it wouldn't matter if you never saw them again)?

I wasn't sure where to put this, but since it pertains to my feeling of entrapment and being depressed in this new city that I moved to after my mom died, I thought the MH forum was appropriate.
I'm sorry to hear about your mom. You're not only dealing with being alone but grieving too. My heart goes out to you. ((((Hug)))

I did what you did- moved to new state (TN) and was miserable. I went to study storytelling, no less, and I couldn't do bec of my depression. And I had no money to move back to WI. I was alone, friendless except for people who enjoyed me checking on them but never reciprocated.

I had no $ to go places, join any storytelling workshops or anything else that would help find friends.

This is what happened.

I finally took a call center job, saved my money, moved back to WI (though almost questioned going back to city/ state I have no family. But I had an idea, small belief that WI was home.

I had a rough transition. Very. I was homeless because I didn't have enough for an apt deposit. I found as job finally and got an apt.

Through it all, the drive (oh and my car kept stopping and restarting all the way to WI), the homelessness, job search, apt hunt, etc... I felt MUCH better than I had in that stuck place I had been.

Let me stress, I wasn't 100% sure this was going to work. But even when homeless, I knew I would rather be than to stuck again!

I learned that when I was doing something for myself, that when I made a choice to do something, anything I found connections that helped me feel less alone and a few times help from others.

Hold on. Consider places you might like. You've made one move, you can do another. It can be hard and risky. But I found the fear of trying.was worse than the problems I faced doing it.

This time last year I was making my plan. I had just decided I coudn't move- I l took a mini vacation to a hotel, so convinced I spent money. But those two days.away from my sad environment showed me I needed (!) to move. It was so wonderful waking up OUT of that darned apt!

There is hope. You can plan and figure out what to do. I have only one place to suggest- WI of course. LoL All joking aside, WI has a lot to offer. There are jobs, albeit retail, people are friendly and the state scenery is beautiful.

Think and dream. The good thing about being stuck, is getting unstuck is possible. Don't let your environment cool you! You can make changes, little and small. They all help.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Miami. I lived in miami before and would move back if I was feeling depressed and lost my wife.
That is my hometown! But I can't afford to move back there, I had looked into it. I could MAYBE find an apartment or get a condo in Homestead, but that's kind of in the boonies and not that safe.

Jobs are tough, too, since I am not bilingual. Not impossible, but really hard.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:18 PM

Wild Flower, thank you so much - you are one brave spirit, that is for sure! It's funny, I LOVE Wisconsin. I had a LDR with a guy who lived in Appleton and fell in love with the state when I went to visit. Ironically, I also have another ex who now lives in WI.

So you know that song "All my exes live in Texas"? All mine live in WI, lol! Yes, I would consider moving there - not sure which city.

I have been researching some places and I don't want to break my lease, so I have some time yet. Your idea of mini-trips are great - I can just getaway and check out various cities for a day or two, just to get a "feel" for the surroundings. I have a little money, but I would like to find work in my new city quickly.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:22 PM

Wild Flower, on another note, I totally relate about non-reciprocation among "friends". I have made an effort to reach out to people, and my so-called family. They are usually responsive and always seem glad to talk to me. But never, ever, do they initiate - not even an email.

So I stopped contacting them.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:44 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I would NOT make any moves, work on WHY the depression and rid yourself of it best way. I lived 10 miserable years of depression and it was thyroid all along and the doctors really let me down for 10 yrs...my old time D.O. knew and called in for armour and in 4 days clinical depression lifted.

Life is full of situations and changes and losses and gains but we need to work thru them...

I have a friend who has dealt with depression a lot of her life and she needs to be alone to work out of it. She recently got herself into a panic and ended up in the ER and now on too many pharma drugs, the MIND can make us so sick and can also get us moving better.

I moved 3000 miles away from family in the 60's, and then found myself in a divorce...talk about change in life....I worked thru it all and have been here in my NEW HOME 50 yrs.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:04 PM

Jaminhealth, thank you - I have been prescribed meds but I hesitate to take them (Fluoxetine daytime and a benzo for sleep). I take the benzo.

My depression has peaked due to the loss of my mother and I moved to this new city and am not happy. I have a few months until my lease is up, so at least I don't need to make any hasty decisions.

I have my thyroid tested every year when I get my annual.

I am glad you found "home" for all these years. That is what I am hoping to find.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:04 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
My Mom died four years ago and I moved into her place, but I am so depressed. I can't even talk about all the reasons, I just feel so hopeless. I don't feel there's a darn person I can really count on.

Old 06-05-2016, 09:46 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Moving can cause more depression...so I am not sure that is the answer. I would work to get the depression under control where you are before making any decisions to move. You can't move away from your problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health