Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 02:52 PM

776 posts, read 580,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
A TV character cannot encompass all what a person with a mental illness experiences. First, because there isn't ONE set of symptoms. Second, Hollywood or other producers, srorytellers are using the characters flaws as they fit their story.

I know I'm picky, but this is why I don't like many actors anymore. The good ones to me seemed 'well rounded' and believable. These are the greats that could improvise without having it written into a script, thye could make bad movies good. When Hollywood wants ridge jigsaw pieces forced together you get not only a nasty picture but a load of terrible actors.

I am sorry people use these examples to characterise the mental illnesses. I have depression and anxiety and it is hard to face stigmatism people have about mental illnesses. I do agree it is terrible and I am sorry it affects you. As for people telling you your illiness doesn't match up- that is wrong!

Thank you, I also have a long list of things, ocd, depression, anxity issues. I think I probably should have related on those more but I got caught in a rant. I think the main point is I'm not really mad at Hollywood/Sitcoms for making these characters, I'm more angry at people for excepting Hollywood and Sitcoms for accurate information. Because, based on a true events, makes it everything 100% true.

One more thing- Doc Martin may not match YOUR idea of what an autisic person is like.... but you are doing the same as your friends do when they tell you your symptoms are not true.

I would say this is a good thought, but I cannot agree. For the shows Bones and Big Bang, their portrayed autistics are to give the charactures, and sometime not even the main charatures, an interesting personality. In Doc Martin, I feel like so much revolves around Clunes's character and behavior that the show's spot light is much heavier on the autistic side that I think not representing a 'full light' so to speak is not giving respect to what made the show. Many people sell this series off of being educational, PBS. So that is my angle with Doc Martin. I think what your suggesting would be 100% if Martin Clunes was Autistic or his character was based on a real person. Personally, I still think it's one of the best and have every season. It is actually the closest autistic portrayed show I can relate to.

Again, there is no one way a person with mental or physical for that matter to act.
This is very correct, but statically I'm tired of the shows mostly showing the 'valued traits' and not the whole picture. In the end we get a cut out copy, because the Dustin Hoffman's and Sean Penn's aren't favored.

Last edited by Nothere1; 09-22-2016 at 03:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 03:01 PM

What I should have posted. I hate the way they make the magnitude much less than it is. It also really doesn't help when they have a hack-job actor/actress try to 'pull it off'. I find it very disturbing when they want the feel, good happy ending so with just one pill or one therapy section they are magically cured.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
I hadn't heard that in Doc Martin he's autistic, just that he was 'different', and being unfamiliar with the range of autism I can't really judge. But one of the reasons I love this series is everyone knows Doc Martin is different, but they accept it. Just like some of them have their quirks, so does he. They value him as a doctor and a part of the town, though he himself is somewhat surprised about that. And his sometimes girlfriend to wife also knows about his differences but she still comes back.

What we see on tv too often, especially with bipolar, is these people who are clearly type one out of control types about to go off. Yes, they exist, but if that's all you see, then it becomes harder for those of us who are bp2 to talk about it since unless one has a friend or family member and knows more, that is the only thing they know.

What we need is not less portrayals of individuals with a type of mental difference, but an honest and far portrait of us, with not just the bad points, but the other 'symptoms' which give us other qualities which enrich society. These 'disorders' are a variance of the 'human norm' and should be seen a part of the diversity of people. And sometimes those 'negatives' also express themselves in a positive way.

I think a lot of people with a diagnosis stay back and don't try to join in since its safer to just be the slightly odd one in the corner than the guy who might be wierd. In a busy current place, not Cornwall, maybe Doc Martin keeps to himself for a reason too.

Old 09-23-2016, 05:35 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,573,099 times
First, I wish people would not write inside of the quoted text of another. Many do this, not just you. It makes it harder to quote your message and makes the reader have to pull apart posts.

PLEASE do not do write in my quotes... Thanks.

Or at least erase the quote format/ marks off. Again, thank you!

As for Doc Martin, I do not understand exactly what you are sayng. You do think he is autistic? Are you saying that since it is on PBS he should be protrayed more of an autistic? I agree with Nightbird47. I never heard anyone on the show indicate he was.I think he has a personality disorder, not being able to understand hoe to relate and have empathy for others.

I do remember following the story line about his mother negecting him severly and he did and does have trouble relating to people. If this is austism, it does not have to match your definition as I said before.

TV, movies, even documentries cannot protray these mental illinesses in a perfect light or even the most realalistic way. The spectum is too great and characters (even based on real people) are people first, mental health or other problems SECOND.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post

I would say this is a good thought, but I cannot agree Bones and Big Bang, their portrayed autistics are to give the charactures, and sometime not even the main charatures, an interesting personality. In Doc Martin, I feel like so much revolves around Clunes's character and behavior that the show's spot light is much heavier on the autistic side that I think not representing a 'full light' so to speak is not giving respect to what made the show. Many people sell this series off of being educational, PBS. So that is my angle with Doc Martin. I think what your suggesting would be 100% if Martin Clunes was Autistic or his character was based on a real person. Personally, I still think it's one of the best and have every season. It is actually the closest autistic portrayed show I can relate.
]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
This is very correct, but statically I'm tired of the shows mostly showing the 'valued traits' and not the whole picture. In the end we get a cut out copy, because the Dustin Hoffman's and Sean Penn's aren't favored.

This happens to all characters and is the nature of Hollywood and other entertainment productions. I had a friend tell me she watched the History channel to learn about history. That is good but even the History channel is a portrayal of subject matter that is not 100% true. Many things factor in- directors, actors, scripts or even a subject that is too much to handle in one character or situation even if real life is stronger.

Sometimes you will not have the whole story for the factors (and more) mentioned. Besides, we do not tell the truth all the time,ourselves. You embellish the facts, we leave things out. We mifht forget something now but remekber and add it later.

I watched a play about C.S. Lewis and his wife Joy. Joy had two sons but the play at one. They wanted to simplify the story I read. So, there was someone not protrayed. Why is it,different for other subjects?

That brings to the end of this loooooong post. I learned that Joy had two sons (and a ex-husband that had a sad ending :/ ) because I did basic research into this extraordinary story. The things we see in the enternainment world should lead us to do our own search to learn about the subjects we are exposed to.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:21 AM

3,957 posts, read 2,573,099 times
I decided to google Doc Martin. I found that it was Aspberger's he was suspected of having. I found part of his story is the ambiguity of whether Aspberger's is why he acts so oddly. This shows that there cannot be a "right" way to protray mentsl illinesses. They are unique to a person and I am glad programs do include them.

You can read the whole story at (and a short quote below)...

Interacting with Autism

Quote:
Still, the diagnosis of Martin’s Asperger’s remains ambiguous, especially if we recall another episode of the series in which we briefly meet his parents, who are extremely cold, unloving and rejecting. These negative qualities are most extreme in his mother, who is like a caricature of Bettelheim’s “refrigerator mother.” The search for the cause goes on

Old 09-23-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I hadn't heard that in Doc Martin he's autistic, just that he was 'different', and being unfamiliar with the range of autism I can't really judge. But one of the reasons I love this series is everyone knows Doc Martin is different, but they accept it. Just like some of them have their quirks, so does he. They value him as a doctor and a part of the town, though he himself is somewhat surprised about that. And his sometimes girlfriend to wife also knows about his differences but she still comes back.
I think a lot of people with a diagnosis stay back and don't try to join in since its safer to just be the slightly odd one in the corner than the guy who might be wierd. In a busy current place, not Cornwall, maybe Doc Martin keeps to himself for a reason too.
I don't agree, I find that he has had a very hard time being accepted. If it wasn't for his medical training they wouldn't want him there at all. The only way he is slowing being excepted is by showing his caring nature, for their health, not their emotions.
Quote:
What we see on tv too often, especially with bipolar, is these people who are clearly type one out of control types about to go off. Yes, they exist, but if that's all you see, then it becomes harder for those of us who are bp2 to talk about it since unless one has a friend or family member and knows more, that is the only thing they know.
I think I have a closer picture to what you might be feeling. I grew up with a friend that had Bipolar and my closest cousin has it as well. When they shown people on T.V. with this I thought my friend's diagnosis was wrong. I checked with her, as she wasn't faking anything or acting out of the norm, and in fact the show changed the magnitude of the illness. On the other hand, my cousin has a lot more and severe 'bad moments' than my friend. In shows, you cant talk to or reason with them at all. This is not the case, talking is very helpful in these instances.
Quote:
What we need is not less portrayals of individuals with a type of mental difference, but an honest and far portrait of us, with not just the bad points, but the other 'symptoms' which give us other qualities which enrich society. These 'disorders' are a variance of the 'human norm' and should be seen a part of the diversity of people. And sometimes those 'negatives' also express themselves in a positive way.
Wonderfully said, I agree 100% and couldn't of said it better myself.

Last edited by Nothere1; 09-23-2016 at 11:19 AM..

Old 09-23-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
[b]PLEASE do not do write r in my quotes... Thanks.
But seriously, I get your drift.
Quote:
As for Doc Martin, I do not understand exactly what you are sayng. You do think he is autistic? Are you saying that since it is on PBS he should be protrayed more of an autistic? I agree with Nightbird47. I never heard anyone on the show indicate he was.I think he has a personality disorder, not being able to understand hoe to relate and have empathy for others. I do remember following the story line about his mother negecting him severly and he did and does have trouble relating to people. If this is austism, it does not have to match your definition as I said before.
No, No, No, No, No. PBS shown this series and claimed that it was an autistic educational program when trying to do a fund drive, that was my problem with that. On the Doc Martin Series, I think it helps the show when the creator doesn't 'come out with it', a discretion marketing technique. I think the times they put it in the show was to arouse more suspicion. In the behind the scenes videos and actor commentaries it is very widely discussed and excepted, they hit almost every note. For me, it's like when a gay, knows another gay instantly, you don't have to see them in their bedroom to know.
Quote:
[TV, movies, even documentries cannot protray these mental illinesses in a perfect light or even the most realalistic way. The spectum is too great and characters (even based on real people) are people first, mental health or other problems SECOND..
There is a saying in the autistic community, "When you meet one autistic, you've met one autistic." So you are right on that, but mental health, IMO, is the person. Autistics don't like advocacies calling Autism a mental disorder or looking for a cure as if we are sick. I feel the same way with bipolar. Before we, as a people, knew the science behind these, they where just part of our personalities and not our illnesses. I find since they are part of our mental structure they can have a great impact on our personalities. Due to the difficulty and choices that comes with these 'illnesses' I think they put us in situations that will change our personality further. For many autistics, that is why most are 'in the corner people'. Many autistic are quite outgoing but from their experiences they choose not to interact. Also,I don't see why they can't show them in the perfect light, that is why good actors are getting paid so much. You can't be a perfect actor, then your not acting, your doing; but to be believably close is the goal.
Quote:
This happens to all characters and is the nature of Hollywood and other entertainment productions. I had a friend tell me she watched the History channel to learn about history. That is good but even the History channel is a portrayal of subject matter that is not 100% true. Many things factor in- directors, actors, scripts or even a subject that is too much to handle in one character or situation even if real life is stronger. Sometimes you will not have the whole story for the factors (and more) mentioned. Besides, we do not tell the truth all the time,ourselves. You embellish the facts, we leave things out. We mifht forget something now but remekber and add it later.I watched a play about C.S. Lewis and his wife Joy. Joy had two sons but the play at one. They wanted to simplify the story I read. So, there was someone not protrayed. Why is it,different for other subjects?That brings to the end of this loooooong post. I learned that Joy had two sons (and a ex-husband that had a sad ending :/ ) because I did basic research into this extraordinary story. The things we see in the enternainment world should lead us to do our own search to learn about the subjects we are exposed to
-1st-(Warning, rant) I clearly don't approve of this. I don't know how anyone can see this as a good thing. By the time our modern directors, producers, and actors get done with a good script it is a washed up pile of garbage. For example, I'm glade that Tolkien's descendants made stipulations for the Hobbit movies(yes, I'm a Nerd), which made them much longer. I would much rather get the whole story, even if that meant a six hour movie. There is a lot of controversy, and some lawsuits, in movies when they are changed or scenes are deleted. My High School math teacher had a real good saying when asked about if grades matter, "In real life, a 'C' will get you fired." I understand, and I am not looking for 100% all in one show. But don't use lines like 'A true story' if it is 75% false, a lie is anything KNOWINGLY not 100%. In movies we substitute because the real story gets a dull moment or we just don't have record, just say that.
-2nd- The paragraph above states my discontent as I don't feel like the original creator's idea is coming to fruition. The original creator's in some shows ,IMO, are the people with 'illnesses' that the writers are using to get better ratings, to make there shows more interesting. So, in a since, the writers should in turn help shine more light about these illnesses. If you had more shows, like nightbird47 said, depicting different traits, we get a better picture. Like putting puzzle pieces together to get a picture, if you have many copies of only two or three pieces you won't get a very good picture.
And once again, I'm sorry to write you a book.

Last edited by Nothere1; 09-23-2016 at 01:29 PM..

Old 09-23-2016, 05:45 PM

131 posts, read 221,182 times
I do like the TV show 'Monk' because it depicts a character being able to take his weaknesses (obsessive/compulsive neurotic behaviors) and use it constructively for the good of solving crimes. His weaknesses are actually his strengths. Is that just fantasy tv? I don't think so because if it wasn't for my own struggle with similar issues I would've never set foot one day in college and studied psychology where I now help people. The sensitivity, empathy, compassion I have all come from the worst parts of my own experience. I've learned how to use the negativity in a positive way. I like to think I've taken what's been thrown at me and deflected it back so it helps others in a good way. I'm neither more or less intelligent because of it but my mindset/attitude/perspective are all much better had I not struggled through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health