Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2016, 12:46 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times

Advertisements

Good day folks.

I currently have been seeking help for my adult son. His behavior has fluctuated in the following ways:
He angers easily when trying to complete a task.He does not harm himself or others.
When speaking with him to address it, usually his facial features will contort,his hands will immediately rubs profusely at his head. He then bows his head and starts mumbling Incoherently.he'll sob for hours almost with a primal cry...(Think Chewbacca from star wars type sound)

Today I went to our local mental health department to see about getting him accessed. I was told :
1: we respect your concern. He has to come in voluntarily.
2: we do referrals. He will need to come in and speak with a case manager.
3: they are aware he is unemployed..so they will take that into consideration.

The case worker seems to think it maybe mild depression...but said he has to see him first to advise.

My dilemma, my son is not capable ( his thinking is all over the place)..to recognize that his mental health is showing some peculiar symptoms. The case worker highly suggested not to force the issue to seek help. Instead hand him the brochure and let him make the first step.
Early detection is said to be helpful in the mental health field...I cannot understand how he'll ever go in if there is wait and see attitude. I am already experiencing and witnessing his decline...He stopped years ago associating with his peers. He rarely gathers with family. His father has been absent in his life for years...Yet favors the other son we have.

Does anyone have experience with getting help for a family member? Any tips to promote the positives in mental health therapy? Basically what did you to encourage help for them?

I will ask that to stay on topic for ways to get help. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 04:35 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
The mental health worker told you what to do. That's all you can do, other than not to make matters worse by bugging him about it.

Does he live with you?

Old 09-28-2016, 06:27 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
You might try to get him help by appealing to his discomfort. If he is reacting as you describe, the guy can not be feeling well.
Explain to him that there are people out there who can help him feel better.

Be super supportive, agree to accompany him to an intake and help him through that process (it can be daunting) and fill in any of the blanks that he fails to relate to the case manager.
It is important that as much info/history as possible be imparted to the clinic.
Good luck with him.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:52 PM

thank you for the tips!

He resides here at home.

I did let him know that gaining health can be in the form of support thru therapy.

Going to also sign up for a support group that meets once a week. Perhaps gaining a better perspective from other families that Are working thru this maze of what's available. first step is to motivate him to accept this support.
Again, thank you.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:28 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Does your son have a primary care doctor who he's willing to see? Sometimes the easiest way to begin talking about mental health care is with the primary care doctor.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:25 PM

Since the original post, ( and to update). He is being assigned a case manager. The appt is next week.

no there is not a primary doctor. He uses a clinic that uses sliding scale for payment. so he rarely sees the same doctor.

He is willing to get a session with the therapist. So one step at a time.

Thanks again folks for the responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health