Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 10:44 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times

Advertisements

I just want to add this about vaccines. I'm a special ed teacher, as stated above, and too many parents of autistic children have noticed a difference soon after vaccinating. The child is growing and developing normally and then wham, they're not, often occurring within a couple of weeks of vaccinating. I am well aware that studies have shown that there is no connection but I do wonder. . . and here's why.

First of all I want to state that tho I read Dr. Mercola's newsletter often, I am not anti-vaxx. I have visited cemeteries where I've seen piles of graves of small children, sometimes 4-5 sibs that all died within a week of each other. I can't even imagine the pain of losing one child, much less 5. If people stopped vaxxing their kids, the public health crisis could be unimaginable and I wouldn't wish to be here to see it. Some of these antivaxxers have the idea that if you eat organic food or something, then they'll be safe but I'm guessing those 5 kids that died back in 1909 were probably eating organic as well, and good farm food. I do believe that the people who are "safely" not vaxxing their kids are actually relying on those who do, to protect their own children, and that's hardly fair.

The last result that the medical industry would want to see are results showing that vaccines are one of the causes and there would be huge pressure to make sure they don't find such a thing, if you know what I mean. I'm not one to spout off about "big pharma" but I must admit that I roll my eyes daily. Also, whether vaccines are the cause or not, the medical industry should still proceed with the thought that a great deal of the public believes that vaccines may have something to do with it, and that segment of the public is growing. They could do much to help reassure people and one of those things could be to test kids before they get their shots to make sure their little bodies are up to it this week. I remember taking my daughter in one time and she was fighting something off and I asked them to wait and do it next time. They looked at me like I'd spouted a third eye but I'm not the type to back down from doctors. I'm glad I did put it off, as I believe that autism may run in my family--I'm pretty sure one of my cousins in on the spectrum. Perhaps they could put them on a program of probiotics before they vax. Anyway, I think there's much they could do besides just smoothing it over with perhaps misleading results of studies that leave parents of autistic children scratching their heads in disbelief.

One more thing I'd like to add--I don't know the doctor's name--he's a chiro in St. Louis, and he's had some noticeable success in treating children with autism with special diets--sometimes even reversing the progression. I know this from a conversation I had with a woman who works with him and she was amazed at what he's been able to do. As far as I know, the special diet is very similar to the GAPS diet so if anyone is interested you can google that.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:02 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I just want to add this about vaccines. I'm a special ed teacher, as stated above, and too many parents of autistic children have noticed a difference soon after vaccinating. The child is growing and developing normally and then wham, they're not, often occurring within a couple of weeks of vaccinating. I am well aware that studies have shown that there is no connection but I do wonder. . . and here's why.
This is an example of the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy: that one event causes a second event just because the first precedes the second. The fact is that signs of autism are recognized around the same time that vaccines are given. Often, however, those signs were there well before the vaccine was given, the parents just did not see them.

Quote:
First of all I want to state that tho I read Dr. Mercola's newsletter often, I am not anti-vaxx. I have visited cemeteries where I've seen piles of graves of small children, sometimes 4-5 sibs that all died within a week of each other. I can't even imagine the pain of losing one child, much less 5. If people stopped vaxxing their kids, the public health crisis could be unimaginable and I wouldn't wish to be here to see it. Some of these antivaxxers have the idea that if you eat organic food or something, then they'll be safe but I'm guessing those 5 kids that died back in 1909 were probably eating organic as well, and good farm food. I do believe that the people who are "safely" not vaxxing their kids are actually relying on those who do, to protect their own children, and that's hardly fair.
Anti-vaccine folks will never believe that vaccines do not cause autism. For them it's all about the vaccine. Since they do not want to be accused of freeloading on people who do vaccinate they have to deny that herd immunity exists.

Quote:
The last result that the medical industry would want to see are results showing that vaccines are one of the causes and there would be huge pressure to make sure they don't find such a thing, if you know what I mean. I'm not one to spout off about "big pharma" but I must admit that I roll my eyes daily. Also, whether vaccines are the cause or not, the medical industry should still proceed with the thought that a great deal of the public believes that vaccines may have something to do with it, and that segment of the public is growing. They could do much to help reassure people and one of those things could be to test kids before they get their shots to make sure their little bodies are up to it this week. I remember taking my daughter in one time and she was fighting something off and I asked them to wait and do it next time. They looked at me like I'd spouted a third eye but I'm not the type to back down from doctors. I'm glad I did put it off, as I believe that autism may run in my family--I'm pretty sure one of my cousins in on the spectrum. Perhaps they could put them on a program of probiotics before they vax. Anyway, I think there's much they could do besides just smoothing it over with perhaps misleading results of studies that leave parents of autistic children scratching their heads in disbelief.
There is no way to "test kids before they get their shots to make sure their little bodies are up to it this week." There is also no evidence that giving probiotics would do anything to prevent any adverse reaction to vaccines.

The entire body of evidence on vaccines and autism supports the conclusion that vaccines do not cause autism. That includes stacks of studies that were not done with industry funding and that were done in countries around the world. It is sad that so many Americans have such poor science literacy that they cannot understand that. Unfortunately, they would rather believe Mercola and his ilk than believe scientists who have devoted their entire professional careers to studying infectious diseases and vaccines.

Quote:
One more thing I'd like to add--I don't know the doctor's name--he's a chiro in St. Louis, and he's had some noticeable success in treating children with autism with special diets--sometimes even reversing the progression. I know this from a conversation I had with a woman who works with him and she was amazed at what he's been able to do. As far as I know, the special diet is very similar to the GAPS diet so if anyone is interested you can google that.
Please provide us with a link to a peer reviewed article that provides evidence that any diet can reverse the progression of autism. The testimony of someone who works for a chiropractor does not count.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/gaps-diet/

GAPS in a doctor’s reasoning about vaccines and autism – Respectful Insolence

Old 12-22-2016, 03:02 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,057 times
It has been noted in 4 generations of my family now. The first two were not vaccinated at all. The second two generations grew up on different continents, the most recent generation are siblings and had their vaccinations on different continents, more than 6 years apart. Their genetics are literally the only thing that all 4 generations have in common.

You didn't see the kids who flapped their hands or had other more noticeable markers of autism 30+ years ago because they were put in institutions. If they were allowed to stay at home, they weren't allowed to attend regular schools, participate in regular sports, often they weren't even welcomed at church. Milder cases were just labeled as odd, or weird.

It's like saying people weren't allergic to peanuts 30 years ago. That's because most of them died before they even made it to school. Or if they made it that far, they were kept home in a bubble because it was impossible for them to be out in the world. Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:44 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

Please stop reading Mercola's website. He is a quack and a fraud.

Webglimpse Search Results

https://www.geneticliteracyproject.o...ti-gmo-groups/

Quote:
Joseph Mercola, D.O., is an osteopathic physician, health activist and entrepreneur practicing near Chicago.
Note that he is not an M.D.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/9-r...-natural-news/

Quote:
Given autism’s heterogeneity, it is unlikely that a single cause will be found that explains all cases of autism, and it is possible that other factors beyond genetics may play some role. Regardless of what etiologies are eventually found, some potential causes have been ruled out, including vaccines.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
The case for a genetic component appears to be very strong in our family. There is my son, my brother, as well as my husband's mother and sister. My mind is also at ease with vaccines because my son wasn't vaccinated until 3 years after he was diagnosed.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:31 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
They don't have enough information about the genetics yet to be able to test and frankly, I don't think that would be a good thing. Look at Down's Syndrome and how many of those babies are aborted. I would not like to see that happen for autism.

As for more evident signs at birth, with my grandson we did know pretty quickly, but you cannot diagnose so early because the symptoms are mostly social ones and they are not evident until infants are older. As for regression, you cannot regress before you have the skills that you are losing. The most frequent regression involves speech. The other skills can be difficult for parents to see in the youngest infants. Eventually, I think MRIs will be used to diagnose. Parents, btw, do spot autism long before doctors are willing to dx the children.

https://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/20...rs-perspective

https://www.autismspeaks.org/science...long-diagnosis

Interestingly, there are also links to the severity of autism. Delays in motor or visual attention at 6 months or younger seem to predict more severe autism than children in whom these delays develop after 12 months of age.
Why would you abort an Autistic child? Autistic individuals can and do live successful lives!

Old 02-01-2017, 06:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Why would you abort an Autistic child? Autistic individuals can and do live successful lives!
I wouldn't but there are people who would because they think that autism is the end of the world. Why would they abort Down Syndrome Children - many of these kids lead successful lives too.

Also note that there are also many autistic people who are NOT able to live on their own. There is a wide spectrum - some people are very able and others are not very able.

https://www.verywell.com/what-is-severe-autism-260044

Quote:
Symptoms Most Common with Severe Autism

Self-Injury. While self-injury can occur among people with milder forms of autism, behaviors such as head-banging and pica (eating non-food items) are far more common among people with severe autism.

Aggressive and Anti-Social Behaviors. Aggression is relatively rare in autism, but it is certainly not unheard of, particularly among people with more severe autism (or among people with autism and other issues such as severe anxiety). People with severe autism may act out by hitting, biting, or kicking. They may also have behaviors such as fecal smearing, door banging, etc. which require a quick and effective response.

Wandering and Eloping. "Eloping" (running away with no obvious cause and no particular destination) is also common among people with severe autism. Unlike higher functioning individuals, people with severe autism don't have the tools to communicate with first responders. This can, of course, increase the likelihood that the individual will wind up in a dangerous situation. In some cases, special locks, alarms, and identification tools are necessary to ensure the safety of a person with severe autism.
Dealing with a child (or an adult) who self-injures is the hardest thing for parents to deal with, I think.

Old 02-02-2017, 02:30 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
In this society (US) babies are aborted for much less than that. Sad to say they are aborted because they are inconvenient.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:40 AM

126 posts, read 208,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas6023 View Post
Is autism actually genetic? Why does it seem so common nowadays and I had never heard of such a thing until I was 30 years old? Could it be related to the stds that have become so common nowadays? Has any research been done to rule out stds and autism relations?
No it's not genetic. It's environmental. Such as mercury poisoning and vaccines.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:13 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilamai View Post
No it's not genetic. It's environmental. Such as mercury poisoning and vaccines.
Mercury does not cause autism and neither do vaccines. Current children's vaccines do not even contain mercury.

https://sfari.org/resources/sfari-gene

https://gene.sfari.org/autdb/HG_Home.do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health