Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 03:58 PM

175 posts, read 147,325 times

Advertisements

Recently I have been feeling increased sensations of anxiety and even some depression. I have had trouble sleeping.

I have been thinking about speaking with an online therapist about some of these issues. Can anyone speak to the effectiveness of these? I think an in person therapist may be too expensive and time-consuming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 04:35 PM

3,300 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Do you know for sure that online therapy is less expensive than face to face? How much do online therapists charge? Do you have to sign up for a certain number of visits?

Do you have insurance that covers online therapy? I see a psychologist who takes insurance and my co-pay is $40 per visit, which I find reasonable.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:36 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
I kinda thought that's what we're doing HERE.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Do you know for sure that online therapy is less expensive than face to face? How much do online therapists charge? Do you have to sign up for a certain number of visits?

Do you have insurance that covers online therapy? I see a psychologist who takes insurance and my co-pay is $40 per visit, which I find reasonable.
No I am not sure. I guess I wasn't fully comfortable committing to a therapist and thought maybe online therapist might be easier.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:05 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
There's an online therapy website that i heard about on a Podcast I listen to. The Podcast itself is really good. Its called the mental illness happy hour with Paul Gilmartin. Listening to that podcast might help you, and he'll mention the name of the online therapy website, which he claims to use himself.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:36 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
I know people who have said that they participate in a weekly on-line existential counseling process that uses journaling. It has increased their knowledge of themselves, and their ability to interact with the world.

It doesn't take people who have serious depression or emotional issues or people who really need to be seen in a one-to-one way with a counseling professional.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I know people who have said that they participate in a weekly on-line existential counseling process that uses journaling. It has increased their knowledge of themselves, and their ability to interact with the world.

It doesn't take people who have serious depression or emotional issues or people who really need to be seen in a one-to-one way with a counseling professional.
Do you have any additional info in regards to this?

Old 12-28-2016, 11:52 PM

671 posts, read 854,427 times
Try psychologytoday

Old 12-29-2016, 09:03 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
Try psychologytoday
Try Talkspace dot com. I haven't tried it yet, but I will. I skyped with my old therapist and it was fine. These people will even text you during the week in between appointents. Paul Gilmartin uses them and I trust him.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:27 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
I know folks who have done therapy either over the phone on Skype. But they already had an in-person relationship with the therapist so it was easier.

My guess is that it might be difficult for many therapists to begin treating you remotely because they often get clues about you from your physical presence--things like your body language, what you wear, or how you act in their office. Those things would seem to be harder to pick up on remotely, but maybe a therapist can speak more directly about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health