U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 02:31 PM

285 posts, read 181,326 times

Advertisements

My Father passed away last month and I am still very depressed. I looked up all the behavioral health providers but unsure who to call. There are social workers, LPC's, PSys etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 03:04 PM

2,934 posts, read 4,690,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
My Father passed away last month and I am still very depressed. I looked up all the behavioral health providers but unsure who to call. There are social workers, LPC's, PSys etc....

Any of those may handle grief counseling.

Ask your doctor for a recommendation.

Check with your health insurance as to who is in-network for your plan.

You might also consider finding a grief support group. Talking to others who have recently lost a parent would be helpful.

Sometimes grief support groups are run by hospitals, churches, senior centers.

I lost my Dad a long time ago. It is hard. I hope you can find someone to talk it over with.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:45 PM

4,047 posts, read 1,860,755 times
Good suggestions above. Find a support group nearby and see if they can make a recommendation more specific to your needs and budget. You might not even need more than some people who understand to talk to. If you do, who would be better able to point you in the right direction?

I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:49 AM

13,104 posts, read 16,353,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbychic View Post
Sorry for your loss Tabbychic,...it's always hard to lose someone you love and care about.
For some people it takes awhile to move on after a close ones death....it's NORMAL to feel sad about it....that sadness can stay with you for a long time....a month is a tiny amount of time to lose the pain of losing someone....gradually the pain will ease and life will become easier for you....it just takes time.

I'm sure you'll find someone whose happy to take your money to tell you that.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:58 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,666,786 times
Understand that uncomplicated grief lasts about 3-6 months. The passage is like living in the Northeast and transitioning from the dead of Winter to the start of Spring. Vestiges will always remain, but you will move into the future as the brightness returns. If it takes longer than this, your grief may be turning into depression and you would need professional help. You will then give money to a person who helps you augur out of your murkiness. It is compensation for good work and professional skills, not often found on a blog or website. Counselors can do in person what cannot be done through an asynchronous, impersonal exchange. If you have never been on either side of the chair, it is not as easy as it seems.

Best of luck to you. I haven't known anyone who lost a dear one who didn't think and mourn about them on occasion for years to come. A 95-year-old man (POW pilot, decorated officer) once told me the thing he missed most was talking with his father.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:14 PM

2,934 posts, read 4,690,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
Understand that uncomplicated grief lasts about 3-6 months. The passage is like living in the Northeast and transitioning from the dead of Winter to the start of Spring. Vestiges will always remain, but you will move into the future as the brightness returns. If it takes longer than this, your grief may be turning into depression and you would need professional help. You will then give money to a person who helps you augur out of your murkiness. It is compensation for good work and professional skills, not often found on a blog or website. Counselors can do in person what cannot be done through an asynchronous, impersonal exchange. If you have never been on either side of the chair, it is not as easy as it seems.

Best of luck to you. I haven't known anyone who lost a dear one who didn't think and mourn about them on occasion for years to come. A 95-year-old man (POW pilot, decorated officer) once told me the thing he missed most was talking with his father.

So true, and beautifully worded. Although 3 to 6 months is underestimating.

Old 04-02-2017, 05:28 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,666,786 times
Default Bereavement and grief counseling

Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
So true, and beautifully worded. Although 3 to 6 months is underestimating.
3-6 months has been a clinical standard, to differentiate a grief/bereavement reaction from major depression. Of course true bereavement lasts longer, but the duration/intensity/frequency is less intrusive across time, as monitored.

My father passed in 2001 and my mother in 2008. I still get the whimsical urge on occasion to call them on the phone, with a life update or a funny comment. The duration of their departure doesn't mean I miss them less, but the reduced impact on my current functioning differentiates grief from depression. If the truth is told, I've parlayed my cooking/baking skills into time with 'Mom' and 'Dad,' with Dad reserved the time I spend in the oven baking lasagna, pizza and other goodies, and Mom reserved the time on the stove when I am making soups, gelatin, rice, milk, and barley.

Peace to you, friend. DM me any comments/concerns I may help you with.

Old 04-29-2017, 05:28 PM

724 posts, read 1,202,008 times
Here are a couple of sites you might want to take a look at: Adec.org (association for death education and counseling) is a well established site where you will find general information as well as links to referrals. Aacc.net may be useful if your orientation is Christian. Jfcs.org is referential to those whose orientation/practice is Jewish.

Certification, licensing and registration of mental health professionals can differ widely from state to state. Most state sites ".gov" will provide a list of those practitioners, but it is common for psychiatrists who have an MD, to be listed separately from psychologists who are Ph.D.'s or Psy.D's. Social workers are usually MSW's and counselors MA's or Ms's. They may have separate listings as well. Lpcc means licensed to practice clinical counseling, but persons with all of the above degree types can hold this license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or