Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 11:59 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
There is no such thing as "A Bipolar." That dehumanizes someone with bipolar disorder and that's what they are; a human being who happens to have a disorder and nothing more.
This is a large contributor to the stigma of mental illness, you are NOT your disorder as Curmudgeon so wisely states.
It is so annoying when people make statements like "He's a Schizophrenic" like that is some kind of characteristic, the medical profession is sometimes guilty of this as well.
Surround yourself with people who support, understand and care about you. Have a safety net.
Unfortunately, there are far too many people who just hear about the negative aspects of mental illness and never hear about the majority who are living very "normal" lives.
Good luck and stay strong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 02:23 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,186,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
Are they completely nuts and to be avoided? Or are they just regular people with a medical condition? I am curious to hear the answers. I know what my opinion is, but I want to wait until I get some responses.
At face value, they are people with a medical condition, like cancer or whatever. I expect them to be on meds and taking steps to keep themselves well, whatever that means to them.

Depending on the person's level of ownership and self awareness determines if they are in my life or not.

I'm very close to someone with BP2. He's awesome. He also really owns his illness and is articulate about what he may be going through (if it is something out of his control and negative) and takes responsibility for his actions when he's a jerk.

I know some people don't have it under control and that's fine as long as they are not harmful to me. I don't always know how to handle or process what is thrown at me (based on people with any number of illnesses).

I often don't know what a person needs and it is helpful if they let me know. I'm often worried I'll say or do the wrong thing.

Often the challenge I have, is, for the ill people I've known - they are often so self absorbed with zero interest about my own life/activities at all. It's all about them and what they go through. I sympathize to a point but I cant handle it indefinitely, I feel really used. That kills a friendship from my POV. Also know there are plenty of selfish people who are not ill, I cant stand friends with them either.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:10 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Several people who seem normal to me have told me they are bipolar. Maybe my definition of normal is a little wonky, but I wouldn't think too much of it unless something weird happened.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:07 PM

201 posts, read 195,129 times
SWgirl926,
I believe it does exist but today it is grossly over and misdiagnosed. I know of not less than 3 people that are "bipolar". I get upset because I feel with any true illness when people are misdiagnosed it takes resources and energies away from those that truly suffer from the condition. If you look at the past, many conditions, particularly mental illnesses do exist, however some come into vogue with doctors and the result is higher levels of people being misdiagnosed.

True bipolar is not just depression, just mania or just moodswings.
NG

Quote:
Are they completely nuts and to be avoided? Or are they just regular people with a medical condition? I am curious to hear the answers. I know what my opinion is, but I want to wait until I get some responses.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:54 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
My daughter is bipolar. Took a while, but she's got the right combo of meds, and she's doing well. She's a very intelligent, compassionate person.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:21 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
After a diagnosis for cyclic depression, then anxiety, then stress, each adding pills, I was just mostly a mess. I had read about manic depression before and kept thinking it sounded a lot like me. But I'd found ways of coping and using it too. I love to write and some of the best stuff was written when the who story was in my brain trying to be born. And it was always evident that my moods shifted. Thinking back, so did Mom's. But beyond being noted, it was never made into a 'condition'.

When stress just broke down my wall, after I'd lost Mom and was losing Dad, and my 'relationship' was growing very 'firey', I found myself finding little ways of evening things. It didn't really come crashing down until later, after losing Dad and feeling like I had nobody but my dogs to care.

Since, I've been on meds (which were absorbed wrong and didn't work) and settled back on my own 'behavorial' approach and good quality suppliments to make up for the bad absorbtion situation. I backed out the last of the meds when something was making me suddenly passout. I finally figured it was the meds and take the suppliments and a few mild natural drugs. But I've also accepted that I am also different, and won't magically change to 'normal'. I find what I do works to keep things under control. I'm more a loner anyway, but around people they need to be the right ones. I can have a good time, but only if its within limits..

For those whom meds work, who don't have absorbtion issues, meds are a good thing. But I think its also good to use them to the absolute minimum. And just because you are a bit different, its not bad. I know that my writing and the art I do, especially the freefrom stitching, wouldn't be as deeply felt if every stich didn't have a meaning. We all express ourselves in our own ways, and those are one of mine.

I am sure my mom was the source, since she would say she wanted quiet time and dissapear into her room. I saw no reason not to respect it. And her dad's grandmother had very identifyable manic behavior. But they didn't pin labels on it and shove some pills in your hand. It's good that mental illness is recognized today, but it seems that the object has become to push patients into a somewhat overdrugged 'normal' when less meds and more learning how to work with the different things would be much better for everyone. There is no such thing as a mold which fits everyone.

I'm a rather artsy person who isn't much for 'normal' and choose to embrase my view of the world, and quite happy with that.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:52 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,144 times
I was kind of scared to see the comments, but I am glad that I did. I need a mind shift. Sometimes I internalize the worst that people have to say and stigmatize myself. I know other people with the dx and I have nothing but compassion for them. Maybe I need a little more for myself. I also have to apply a little logic here. Chances are, I have had it for a very long time because SSRIs made me manic. I didn't think any less of myself before I had this dx. Why should I do it now?

Old 04-01-2017, 07:55 AM

5 posts, read 3,894 times
People sometimes look at me with a tad bit of pity or disbelief, as if I'm married to a nut when they find out my husbnd has bipolar disorder. He's a phenomenal man and we both love each other more than anything! Yes, life with him is hard during the times when mania or depression are kicking. Mania is definitely the worst! But, he's an awesome man and bipolar does not make him bad. He fights his demons and is a good person. I don't like the stigma and shame I sometimes feel myself based on people's general perception of the disease. Keep in mind there are all different types of people, some not good in nature otherwise. Add the bipolar and of course it is a disaster.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:53 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
I was kind of scared to see the comments, but I am glad that I did. I need a mind shift. Sometimes I internalize the worst that people have to say and stigmatize myself. I know other people with the dx and I have nothing but compassion for them. Maybe I need a little more for myself. I also have to apply a little logic here. Chances are, I have had it for a very long time because SSRIs made me manic. I didn't think any less of myself before I had this dx. Why should I do it now?
You shouldn't! Above all else, be kind to yourself.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:42 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Thank you. I was dx'd Bipolar three years ago. Before that I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I don't have the psychotic features, and I am high functioning thanks to the right medications and therapy. I am really struggling with the stigma, and to some degree, self-stigma. I get tired of people thinking that we are crazy, combative, etc. I am really trying to deal with the self-stigma and not feel "less than" because I have this disorder.
I was dxed as bipolar after first being labeled depressed. The meds sometimes made me very happy, and sometimes sent me into space. When they finally listened and didn't discount how moods can just 'come' or 'change' that they changed it though I'd already figured it out.

Unless I'm under some bad stress, my moods are not extreme, and I don't take perscription meds anymore. Magnesium has proven a wonder for evening out things--I reccomend it and D3. But without heavy meds I can pick up the small warnings and head them off.

But more than the rest, I've gotten to thinking of myself as someone who takes a slightly different road, and that there isn't any 'rule' making it 'wrong'. I just find comfort in different places.

I think we're all too busy applying labels and not listening to the different ways people share the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health