Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 02:25 PM

65 posts, read 33,612 times

Advertisements

Eversince i started meditation my nightmares have subside.
When I asked my neice who is 8 years old if she wanted to meditate she told me Meditation is for downers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 02:36 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,773,199 times
I've been meditating off and on for years...I'm in a bit of a slack now. But for me, it's wonderful. Saved me from anti depressants years ago when I got into a meditation group...drove to the group depressed and came out in a nice high.

I took care of children for some yrs and a couple young boys were so "wild" and I worked on teaching them to meditate..it calmed them down and they loved it. I don't know where the 8 yr old got "it's for downers". From parent? So many are missing so much by NOT getting into this practice.

Quiet the outside nutty world.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:00 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,256,585 times
Wish I could understand meditation.

Seeing Eastern clerics on TV or in Natl. Geographic, sitting on the ground in meditation, I assumed that they were contemplating the meaning of life or religious/philosophical concepts, or praying to their deities.

But from Internet searches, I infer that all thought is banished -- good thoughts, bad thoughts, in-between thoughts -- all thoughts. Now that's hard to do and it must be especially difficult for hyperactive children. We're supposed to focus only on deep, slow breathing and nothing else

Admittedly, on some nights of insomnia, this focus has put me to sleep but on most sleepless nights, it has failed. I understand that the Eastern clerics can lower their brain waves to the delta level (1-4 hz.) which is associated with deep sleep. Yet they are awake!! Wow, just wow!

Also, as an aside, it seems that although the clerics are in an enviable state of relaxation, it compromises whatever duties they have. Or is it that they're setting an example to show their followers how to achieve internal peace?

At any rate, I wish I could share the benefits of a practice that so many people praise.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:17 PM

If one really feels there is validity to meditating and for me there is...best to get into a group session for a few times and "learn" how to do it. And really want to do IT.

When I say these boys calmed down, probably for the time being but I didn't spend hours on end with them. I was there for a short time as a sitter, so if they got anything out of it, doubt it, but it quieted them for a short time.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:47 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,051,585 times
I meditate every morning and it helps me face the day with calmness. I first began with group sessions led by a Buddhist monk.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I meditate every morning and it helps me face the day with calmness. I first began with group sessions led by a Buddhist monk.
I know and have known others who do this faithfully daily. There are enough angry people out there who would benefit, but they probably LOVE being angry. Know of some on forums for sure.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:13 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,256,585 times
Anger isn't my issue, nor is anxiety. I credit my religious affiliation.

Depression on the other hand exerts a fairly significant burden. I assume that meditation would not be helpful in that regard.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've been meditating off and on for years...I'm in a bit of a slack now. But for me, it's wonderful. Saved me from anti depressants years ago when I got into a meditation group...drove to the group depressed and came out in a nice high.

I took care of children for some yrs and a couple young boys were so "wild" and I worked on teaching them to meditate..it calmed them down and they loved it. I don't know where the 8 yr old got "it's for downers". From parent? So many are missing so much by NOT getting into this practice.

Quiet the outside nutty world.

Did you read my comments on a depression and how it lifted me out when I got into the first group. It was a 45 minute miracle.

It and does help with depression, but so does getting thyroid supported, for me that was true back in 2002. Went for 10 yrs from 1991=2002 and not getting help from all the doctors I saw. Then I found the right D.O. and the rest is history..

Old 06-18-2017, 09:59 PM

65 posts, read 33,612 times
I tried headspace. It just wasn't for me. So i download the app Relax melodies Relaxation.

I love the sound of rain hitting the umbrella because when we goes places in a hurry with the umbrella we don't set aside of time to actually to listen to the rain hitting against the umbrella because we might get wet.

Sometimes when it rains i actually do go outside and feel the rain and get a little wet.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:02 AM

For me it's Silent Medication, just going into quiet space and clear the mind and go into meditation...if mind strays, get it back...don't fall asleep.

If one chooses a mantra, repeat it over and over in the mind. Mantra means:

Saying Less Pain over and over. No Depression over and over...get the words into the brain.

It can all be so simple, no need to buy this and that. I never went that route...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health