Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:19 AM

761 posts, read 602,871 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to edit a story but I can't focus. This has gone on all week for a simple 1,000 word story...
because...TOO much coffee

I'm thinking I need to quit coffee ---> NOW<---
also realize the miserable unproductive week I will have if I embark on
that noble journey of de-toxing.
Woe is me.

I know me. I need to quit.
I can't handle coffee the way some can't handle liquor.
Low tolerance.

To the coffee mainliners:
I envy you if it doesn't affect you one way or the other, but I know I'm in trouble when its makes me walk in circles and real life becomes an exercise in futility..

Worse, I have no control over eating when caffeine is pulsing through my veins, and my healthy diet gets kicked to the door by those coffee bouncers that take over my head and my good intentions.

I will tackle finish my work today but after, I will resign my post at the coffee machine.
I will slay the dragon within.
Hop on the bumpy path and join me. Lend a kind word or hitch a ride.
Maybe we can navigate the summit as a group.

Here's delightful list of information for anyone who wants to scrub the subject:
https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caf...mptoms-top-ten
Headache. A caffeine headache usually starts behind the eyes and then moves up the front of the head.
Sleepiness. ...
Irritability. ...
Lethargy. ...
Constipation. ...
Depression. ...
Muscle Pain, Stiffness, Cramping. ...
Lack of Concentration
Forget school, studying, brain surgery, or jet engine repair during this stage of withdrawal.
Flu-like symptoms
Stuffy nose, blocked sinuses, and sinus pressure have all been reported by people withdrawing from caffeine.
Insomnia
Some people actually can’t sleep when going through caffeine withdrawal.
Nausea and Vomiting
Some people can’t even think about food the first couple days of withdrawal which compounds the feeling of lethargy.
Anxiety
In some people, caffeine actually causes anxiety, but in others, withdrawing from the drug can cause feelings of anxiety and even panic attacks have been reported by some.
Brain Fog
Withdrawal can cause some people to experience brain fog which is described as the difficulty of having coherent thoughts, difficulty thinking, and the difficulty of doing common tasks.
Dizziness
Caffeine withdrawal can cause some people to lose their sense of equilibrium.
Heart Rhythm Abnormalities
Since caffeine also stimulates the heart muscle, some people experience changes in their heart rhythm during withdrawal. Both low blood pressure and even palpitations have been reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 11:40 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,689,467 times
Of course it depends on HOW MUCH caffeine one is taking in daily. I just cut out my afternoon cup and down to 1 for breakfast.

Your post reminds me of a fellow I met at the last rehab facility (for knee mess) and he said he was in Iraq and now in a wheel chair and still smoking cancer sticks and drinking 6 cups of coffee daily. He also was insulin dependent for the diabetes.

Addiction is addiction no matter the drug choice. Good Good Wishes....don't go cold turkey.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-28-2017 at 12:17 PM..

Old 04-28-2017, 12:40 PM

Why thank you! I appreciate you coming by and checking in on me.

I am pretty sensive to any kind of drug and rarely take meds.

Today I drank 2 mugs of coffee, each 12 ounces.

That's not much for some people but too much for me.

I hear a high pitched sound in my ears and my lips, hands, arms, legs have a slight tingling sensation.

I thank you for the reminder. I was going to do exactly that: go cold turkey, but you've reminded me thatI do have the option of reducing the intake, slowly. Going, going, gone.

Aren't you a caring soul.. thanks so much!

Old 04-28-2017, 04:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,226,257 times
What about trying decaff? Briefly I was told to try not drinking coffee. Decaff didn't make me feel any different, but then feeling energized is the bonus, and I think just expecting it produced it. But the stuff they use to take out the caffine is not so good.

I drink a lot of it. My favorite is with a big scoop of hot chocolate mix and a little mint. Yummy. It does give me an energy boost, which is very welcome. I don't use sugar. I mostly cut out soda, except for occasionally, so coffee is my favorite.

When I was supposed to use decaf, I started adding lots of other stuff, like sugar, since I didn't like the taste, and which defeated the purpose.

Remember a lot of other things have caffene too, so read labels.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:48 PM

10,353 posts, read 10,613,679 times
Coffee (or any kind of caffeine) has no negative effect on me. I can drink it any time of the day including before going to bed. I only drink it black. I have no idea how much I drink because I fill up a large insulated mug in the morning and drink it all day. I've started taking it with my to drink while lifting weights for a little bit of a lift.

I do get a mild stimulant effect from caffeine. I have never taken any other supplement that has as much of a noticeable effect as caffeine does, but it is still very mild.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:54 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,424,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post
Why thank you! I appreciate you coming by and checking in on me.

I am pretty sensive to any kind of drug and rarely take meds.

Today I drank 2 mugs of coffee, each 12 ounces.

That's not much for some people but too much for me.

I hear a high pitched sound in my ears and my lips, hands, arms, legs have a slight tingling sensation.

I thank you for the reminder. I was going to do exactly that: go cold turkey, but you've reminded me thatI do have the option of reducing the intake, slowly. Going, going, gone.

Aren't you a caring soul.. thanks so much!
By all means back off gradually. Substitute an occasional cup of HERB tea. It gives you a hot drink with a nice flavor and aroma. If you want to sweeten it use a bit of honey or stevia.

Best of luck and more power to you. I don't think I could do it. But then, I'm an old soldier and former cop who's been drinking coffee for about 55 years and black for the first 35 of them. Now I add some 1/2 & 1/2, but none of that sweet stuff.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:08 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,689,467 times
To my 1 cup per day now of coffee grounds (I use organic coffee) I add a good dash of baking soda to reduce acid...coffee is very acidic to the stomach.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
What about trying decaff? Briefly I was told to try not drinking coffee. Decaff didn't make me feel any different, but then feeling energized is the bonus, and I think just expecting it produced it. But the stuff they use to take out the caffine is not so good.

I drink a lot of it. My favorite is with a big scoop of hot chocolate mix and a little mint. Yummy. It does give me an energy boost, which is very welcome. I don't use sugar. I mostly cut out soda, except for occasionally, so coffee is my favorite.

When I was supposed to use decaf, I started adding lots of other stuff, like sugar, since I didn't like the taste, and which defeated the purpose.

Remember a lot of other things have caffene too, so read labels.
Nightbird, so sweet..

Yes, you would think de-caf was the answer.. It sure seems like it could be since the amount of caffeine that remains after the chemical process is minimal.. maybe only 3%.

About a year and a half ago I had some stomach troubles, and quit coffee.
I ate protein and vegetables, fruits and greek Plain yogurt.. no wheat products
I lost 50 pounds (no more food triggers from no more coffee)

DH was drinking decaf all along so one day this kicked in: OH IT SMELLS LIKE COFFEE and I MISS IT!!

so I becan testing the waters and had a small cup of decaf. Blech! but I missed my coffee so much,
so every couple of days I have a cup of "blech!" which did not hurt my stomach.

Then it became every day and the small cup became a mug... You can probably imagine what happened soon after. I'm an adult and drove myself to the store and bought real coffee before long.

Its an addiction thing for me. I know that buzz is out there waiting for me in the coffee bag, but not the de-caf bag.

Your suggestion to try a little chocolate in the decaf sounds yummy, but bless your heart that would defeat the purpose, and would trigger my want for real coffee (because my brain knows it would be a substitute) but also, I would then go to the bakery and buy something chocolately and fattening, because the caffeine in chocolate would open yet another addictive pathway..
or I'd just buy a big ol chocolate bar and tell myself "It's okay, its dark chocolate,
and full of antioxidants and fiber. The devil is always on my shoulder until I totally get rid of the temptations.

The mind is a sneaky thing.. but I'm onto it, and know all its tricks.

You are sooo right about the hidden caffeine, and I will look at labels from now on and think of your good advice ~~~ thanks for your input!

Last edited by tidaldream; 04-29-2017 at 04:47 PM..

Old 04-29-2017, 04:38 PM

village idiot ... well I guess you are one lucky dog.

don't you get leg cramps from drinking all that coffee? (from dehydrating)
just remember - for every cup of coffee you drink to replenish it with a cup of water or you'll be frying your liver like an alcoholic. be safe buddy!

Old 04-29-2017, 04:58 PM

711 posts, read 686,707 times
Tildadream - I have to say my hat is off to you! I'm another who suffers no ill effects from coffee - probably to my detriment!

That said, it doesn't agree with YOU so I can certainly see you're wanting to make some changes. There are occasions when coffee just doesn't sound good or I know I'm going into a stressful situation and I want to avoid the caffiene. I agree with you that decaf just doesn't get it. I need something with a lot of flavor - just not a lot of caffiene.

Do you think any herbal teas would work for you? Or would that be too close to coffee to trigger a need for coffee?

And one last thing to consider - ok, two things.

One of my favorites is Good Earth Sweet and Spicy tea. It's a bit like Constant Comment used to be IMO only with richer flavors. If you do opt for this one, be careful - they make both an herbal tea and a herbal/black tea mix.

I do like a lot of herbal teas - but many of them are mild and don't quite have that flavor punch that I sometimes seek.

And a couple last things to consider - this may end up being FAR easier on you than you think! I sincerely hope it is! And finally, maybe journal a bit the first couple of weeks. Keep notes on the differences you're feeling - sleep patterns, diet patterns, etc. It may turn out that there are other culprits at work in addition to the caffiene and a log of changes may come in handy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health