Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 05:51 AM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

The OP stated in a previous post he had a horrible up bringing. This could also be why he is having issues. He needs to see a therapist about his past issues. I am also curious if the OP has always been this way. Were your parents abusive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2018, 12:21 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,530,477 times
Are you people familiar with LA? Most job ads want bilingual people. I'm not.
I've sent out so many resumes, talked with my temp agencies so many times. All I could find was telemarketing which paid very little.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:05 PM

61,718 posts, read 87,123,005 times
It's just hard to believe that you couldn't find ANYTHING in 17 years. But I understand now - you didn't try hard enough, actually you hardly did anything about that. You sent out few resumes but YOU never even tried to follow up. You waited for someone to knock on your door with job offers. You posted few applications on Craigslist just to make you feel that you are looking for jobs. But you didn't really cared if you get any or not.

You could register with Workforce to get help with resume, interviews and job placement - but you didn't. They would most likely try to get you back to school or learn new skills. You don't have any useful skills, nor ever wanted to aquire any. You are very content with yourself, it seems.

You could move out LA, and look for jobs somewhere else. People do it all the times.
You could do many things to find a job, but you didn't.

Somehow I have feeling that you didn't want to find any job, you are afraid to get any offer. In fact you DON'T want to work - all those years of laziness disconnected you from the idea of getting up every morning, and working for the money. Why bother if your parents pay for everything?
You said you are ashamed to take their money. Well, feelings are cheap, and probably take just ocasionally a moment or two of your life - you get over them pretty fast since lack of work is not affecting your life. You continue to rob your parents of their life savings till all is gone, then you will put them in a nursing home and forget that they ever existed.
A fine human being you are....

Last edited by elnina; 03-27-2018 at 07:18 PM..

Old 03-27-2018, 07:36 PM

61,718 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
The OP stated in a previous post he had a horrible up bringing. This could also be why he is having issues. He needs to see a therapist about his past issues. I am also curious if the OP has always been this way. Were your parents abusive?
Well, I would like to know that too.
Right now, it looks that the only possible abuse was them asking OP to learn something and get a job. That could lead to nagging of course, because OP seems to be very stubborn, and did just the opposite.
Abusive parents would kick him out the house, and forget they ever had a son, but they seems to be exceptional caring and supportive.
How often it happens that parents are financially supporting their kids, way beyond a teen age, continuously paying for their living expenses including luxuries like computers, tablets, smart phone, trips to nice restaurants and pubs, gym memberships, car, insurance, healthcare, luxury apartment, groceries... etc...etc...etc...
It looks like their son hates them for that.
Who here is being abused??

Old 03-27-2018, 07:37 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Update: I gave up and moved in with my parents. The rent was too high and I couldn't find a job.
I did one last interview in Feb. They never called me back so I moved.
Try to get a volunteer job since you are living for free. At a volunteer job the people are so grateful to have you that they will treat you very well. That will make you feel better. Maybe there will be something at the place you volunteer that will turn into a real job, even if it starts off as only a part time job. Also, if you come across a job opening while you are volunteering, your supervisor at the volunteer place will be happy to get you a great recommendation.

Another thing: once you are volunteering, go to your public library and ask for help putting together a resume. They also usually have job resources if it's a bigger library. You can often get help finding a job and at the very least, help with putting that resume together. Maybe they'll have ideas for what you should put on the resume to account for the years of not working.

If you don't get out there and do something, this is just going to get worse for you. Example: I volunteered in a nursing home and ended up with great references that got me a job working with the elderly. Another example: I volunteered in a school library and ended up being hired as the school librarian! Of course, you need to have the proper qualifications. It is a dog eat dog world, very competitive, but there are some tricks to get around it.

You obviously have a brain in your head. You can use a computer and you articulate well enough. Just get creative and figure out where you can be a volunteer. Even on Craig's List there are volunteer opportunities.Check out that area on CL. Oh--I also got a tutoring job once time on CL. Don't just send in resumes and wait around to hear back. Few jobs are found by applying for them. Jobs are found by volunteering, asking around, pounding the pavement. One time I just walked into a place and ASKED. I got a job! (I hated it but it was a JOB!) And I just happened to have my resume on me when I walked into that place. Dress neat and clean--nice shirt and pants, act confident (even if you have to pretend), and make it your job to GET a job. Maybe you can earn enough money to get out and even move to a better and cheaper area that has more opportunities.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:39 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
What a sad, sedated, stultifying waste of a human life you are leading.

Come on man. Is this what you dreamed of as a child when people asked you what you wanted to be?

Get it together.

Old 04-03-2018, 02:24 PM

496 posts, read 411,743 times
Borrow some money from your parents (set up a repayment plan) and get yourself to Indiana. You can get a factory job, plenty of light assembly if you can't do heavy labor. They are hiring just about anyone because we don't have enough sober employees to fill vacancies. Plenty of overtime and low cost of living. If you can pass a drug test you can get hired in Indiana.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:40 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
I've sent out so many resumes, talked with my temp agencies so many times. All I could find was telemarketing which paid very little.

Just to address the bilingual part---this is true in so many places. I applied for jobs I'd had before in other parts of the country, but there in good ole TX, the most mundane, low-level job required bilingual skills. Not an excuse not to keep trying, but that adds yet another layer of frustration on top of ageism and other "unfixable" aspects.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:50 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
You mean less than $0?

How much are you earning now? More than $0?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health