Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 04:28 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times

Advertisements

Personally, I believe that most ordinary anxiety can be worked out, on one's own, but for the really crippling kind - I ran across an interesting program on TV.

It's "Just" Anxiety Documentary Film
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 01:30 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,603,547 times
I watched it. It was good to see how others cope with their various degrees of anxiety/ocd. I think mine is quite mild compared with those aired. Glad to see the lady with OCD (5yrs later) has gained some normalcy in her life.

Old 05-20-2017, 04:22 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
I tend to believe that all of us are cursed with at least one thing, perhaps one thing that is our hell even if we keep that hell secret and on the inside.

That Bachlorette comment about throwing himself into strange situations reminds me of me.........but I see that as being an adrenaline junkie. Being somewhere, surrendering control to someone else, facing the moment naked and exposed, facing a moment that could end up in disaster.........and feeling the taste of the carbon dioxide, the adrenaline as the heart races.

So A and B.

A is finding ways to do it that is less risky behavior........like skydiving, for example.

B is a consistent line in the DSM-IV-TR that essentially says what makes a disorder is if the condition is of concern to the patient. Which from my angle is do I have anxiety, have I found unique ways of handling it (more on that in a moment), and should I be concerned.

To the last, I say don't let the world tell you that you should, that you need treatment, decide that for yourself.

As far as unique ways, it tends to be in a very active fantasy life. One line of thought of it comes from the novelization of the Doctor Who story, "The Sunmakers". In it, Leela is about to make an attack and she suddenly feels afraid and does not understand why she, a warrior of the Sevateen, should. K-9 goes into a technical explanation of how there is an anxiety producing drug in the atmosphere to which Leela, as a primitive, interprets as a magic done by the enemy which she then just dismisses.

What she doesn't understand is just magic to her and she dismisses the effects.

On the grander scale is the analysis Dr. Bellows made of Captain Nelson in that, "You are calm one second and hysterical the next. You can pass the toughest tests the Air Force has to offer and yet you hear voices. You are a top scientist and yet you have delusions." (the curious thing is that was from the 4th episode, rather too early for the Jeannie explanation)

The thing is are we approaching life believing that everything must have an explanation? Would it be easier on us to take less serious approaches, like diary writing such as actual pen and paper? To me, my dance teachers are my therapists.

And if it gets too heavy, then take a moment to reflect about being calm one second and hysterical the next.

Old 05-28-2017, 04:31 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I watched it. It was good to see how others cope with their various degrees of anxiety/ocd. I think mine is quite mild compared with those aired. Glad to see the lady with OCD (5yrs later) has gained some normalcy in her life.
Or maybe we should more properly say: Her work and determination earned her some normalcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health