Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2017, 07:54 AM

13 posts, read 44,610 times

Advertisements

TO THE MODS: If you think i'm asking about this in the wrong place, please move this thread to a more appropriate section then. I couldn't really decide where i should ask this.

I'm a 21 year old single male (<and plan on staying that way) and i'm trying to get on SSI because of my disabilities: (Autism, Type 1 diabetes, ADHD, bi-polar disorder, borderline personality disorder).
However, I know when I get approved for SSI, i'm going to need to have subsidized housing, like housing that only charges 1/3rd of your income. I believe such a thing is called section 8 voucher.

I know there is a waiting list for it, but i know it's a very long waiting list and i'm just wondering, is there a way i could put myself on the waiting list before i get approved for SSI? and how would i go about that?

please help.

ALSO, here's a map of all the places I'm opening to living at:
(REMEMBER, currently, i do not live in ANY of those states right now. I live in the upper midwest, but i hate it and want to leave forever)

^i'm going to be moving to florida later this year to live with some relatives and i honestly would want to stay there permanently but South Carolina is truly my second choice.

I want to be some place warm, so i can go out and ride my bike, but i don't want to live in a shady place with a bunch of thugs who'll want to break into my apartment and steal my video games and stuff.

Last edited by Wandering_Forever_20; 05-28-2017 at 08:32 AM..

Old 05-28-2017, 02:26 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
I had an advocate. I had applied for SSI and was living at succession of rented rooms, some okay other major drama land. But there were few places in my area available. I believe I was put on the waiting list, which was months and months long, before it was fully approved but I'm not sure. I moved in to my new place on housing after I had gotten approved, but remember filling out the housing docs over a year before.

Call someone in the know and verify it, but I was told that housing checks your resources when they get to your case. If you don't qualify then, you don't get housing.

It sounds like you would qualify to get an advocate to help you deal with the details with your health.

I was in socal, and all the lists are long there, so you may have a shorter wait in one of these other areas.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:34 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
I'm pretty sure a note from your Dr. works to apply for things while you are waiting for your SSI or SSDI approval. I know it does for many things, the 'pretty sure' is regarding this specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health