Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 08:21 PM

4 posts, read 3,732 times

Advertisements

I been out of work since 11/16 and I was working in IT. I got this job as a contractor while in college and now that I'm out of school I'm looking for a job in my field. I got a degree in meteorology and I'm looking for a position in that field or closely related. I applied for a few jobs recently and I'm just not hearing anything back. I search online how to make my resume stand out and I feel that I'm going nowhere and it is beginning to take a toll on my health overall. I feel stressed, angry and sometimes feel like I don't want to live anymore. I'm now at the lowest point of my life, just unhappy, angry and feel like giving up because I feel that I will never get a job in my respected field where most of my skills lie in. I just don't know what to do at this point. I'm 30 years old and struggling to get one least interview. I got the skills, internship experience and other skills like programming in Fortran, C++ and Python. I sometime imagine myself leaping off the Golden Gate Bridge, I'm just so frustrated. I just don't know what to do next.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:39 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,835,817 times
National Suicide Prevention LifelineCall 1-800-273-8255
Available 24 hours everyday

Please CALL! Someone here does care about you! ((HUG))

Old 05-12-2017, 10:01 PM

24 posts, read 29,855 times
One day it will all be over. But not today, and not tomorrow. There's too much to look forward to. You have a purpose and a destiny whether or not you can see it from your current perspective. The entire workforce is changing. I'm sure you've read all the articles. Don't beat yourself up over all this. Life is interesting. It's just not how the movies portray it. Most of us don't have good jobs, go out with friends on the weekends, dinner parties, expensive lunches, weekend getaways. And most of all that starts with a good respectable job. It's just not a reality for most. We have to learn to live with it. It's not worth dying over. You still have a reason to live. Life is so precious.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:21 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,594,113 times
Do call the suicide hotline. It can help. And if you have a therapist, give them a call.

It is okay to be angry and get frustrated, but please don't think of doing yourself any harm.

When such feelings/thoughts take over, do something that boosts your spirits - take a walk in nature, have a nice meal, whatever it is that lifts your spirits. When all else fails, take a nap and reset yourself. Massage is also very helpful in processing feelings and making you feel better.

There is no reason why you can't have the job you want - just don't give up.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:20 PM

4 posts, read 3,732 times
I have done what you guys told me. I have backed away from that thought. I think I really let things get to me.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:50 AM

7,982 posts, read 5,337,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_X5 View Post
I have done what you guys told me. I have backed away from that thought. I think I really let things get to me.
It is good to hear you have backed away from that thought.

Your generation is a tough one. It is difficult to compete for a job when there are thousands applying for the same job online. My last son, 28, is having a difficult time. He just got turned down for something that we were absolutely sure he would get. I am not even him but have felt very depressed and sad for weeks about the situation. My oldest son always tells his brother just get into the habit of applying for jobs everyday. Don't give up. The more you apply it ups the chances of a hit.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:04 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,580,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
It is good to hear you have backed away from that thought.

Your generation is a tough one. It is difficult to compete for a job when there are thousands applying for the same job online. My last son, 28, is having a difficult time. He just got turned down for something that we were absolutely sure he would get. I am not even him but have felt very depressed and sad for weeks about the situation. My oldest son always tells his brother just get into the habit of applying for jobs everyday. Don't give up. The more you apply it ups the chances of a hit.

About your generation being a tough one, is true as I see it in my 79 yr soon. I worked 40 yrs when we had all the industry in our country and bosses were not on their own computers, they had secretaries. It's a different TIME for sure for sure. And the industries will not come back Back in my 40 yrs of work one could leave a job one day and have a new one in the next day or so, that's how it was for me. NOT TODAY.

I remember a boss I had at Hitachi back in the 80's and I was resisting technology, I was in my 50's and he kept pushing me to embrace technology & he kept saying that with tech, there will be more Customer Service...I don't see that at all. We do have to push all the buttons to HOPEFULLY talk to a real person.

OP: Things will change and there is a lot more for you in your life.

On a side note, I was in hospital and rehabs and could not walk or stand on my legs for 2.5 months and I truly wanted to die as I feared I would never walk. Then FINALLY, the MD's did the right testing, an MRI, and found a staph infection in my knee and then it was 2 months of abx drugs...I'm walking with walker and finally home after almost 5 months in hospital/rehabs....had I had the "pill" would I have taken it, don't know, it takes more courage to do one in that one thinks. Hang In....the medical industry is a field that needs workers forever. J

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-14-2017 at 12:50 PM..

Old 05-20-2017, 11:24 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,308,465 times
I want to thank the OP for starting this discussion. I'm lying in bed right now pondering suicide due to anxiety so severe that I can't move. My family has never truly come around to accepting me for being sick (gay); my job with the police is severely emotionally- and mentally-taxing and pays <$30,000/year, which has me drowning in debt; we just got bad news about our dog needing expensive care; our landlady just told us she wants us to sign an updated lease June 1 (two months prior to our lease expiration of August 1) so she can increase our rent $75/month to keep our apartment because she's going through tough times financially; I haven't had sex in years because my partner doesn't find me physically attractive anymore; I feel like most of my "friends" use me; etc. I just can't stop crying.

I Googled "easiest ways to kill yourself" and got the suicide prevention hotline number. I then came on here to see if there was anyone else struggling with suicidal thoughts, after seeking the OP's post I feel better knowing that I'm not alone. I'm going to keep laying here, and if I feel inclined again I'm going to reread the OP's post and the replies to remind myself there are options available. I just keep thinking I'm a burden on everyone, and many people would be glad to see me gone. The tears just won't stop.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:08 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,330,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_X5 View Post
Good because I was going to tell you to knawk it awf! I lost my beloved wife to pneumonia less than a week ago and I can tell you that life is too precious to take lightly or try to end it.

So glad you came to our senses!

Old 05-22-2017, 11:02 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,835,817 times
So very sorry for your loss, Curmudgeon. Grief like this is so very painful, but you truly will feel better with time. Best wishes and hang in there. <3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health