Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 02:43 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,655 times

Advertisements

I was soooo happy when they put that into effect here in Florida. I only wish they would pass it in Tennessee, too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 02:43 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,634 times
I am another one who agrees that smoking bans in PRIVATE establishments should be up to the owners, not the government. Where I live we have no mandated smoking ban (yet) but I would say over half of the restaurants around here are already voluntarily non-smoking. Some places that used to allow smoking have gone smoke free, becasue that's what the majority of their customers wanted. I have no problems with that at all.

I'm no economist, but I think basic "free market" pinciples apply here. Maybe the town/city you live in is 99% non smokers. That's great...it would follow then than most businesses would cater to the market and run non-smoking establishments. So what's the big deal, then, if one or two guys want to open a place for smokers? Last time I checked, we still lived in America and as American consumers, we have (or SHOULD have) choices.

Same thing goes for property owners. There are plenty of ads in the paper that request non-smoking renters. Fine. If you're a smoker, you just don't rent there. I support your right as a business/property owner to make your own choices.

I "get" smoking bans in places like schools, airplanes, hospitals, etc. But I really believe the cigarette police are getting a little carried away. I recently heard on the radio that there's a push in San Fran to ban smoking EVERYWHERE except in single family, detached homes. Yep, no smoking OUTSIDE or even in your own car. Give me a break.

We may as well just outlaw it completely...I'm sure the black market prices would be much more reasonable than the taxes smokers pay now.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:41 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidniteBreeze View Post
I "get" smoking bans in places like schools, airplanes, hospitals, etc. But I really believe the cigarette police are getting a little carried away. I recently heard on the radio that there's a push in San Fran to ban smoking EVERYWHERE except in single family, detached homes. Yep, no smoking OUTSIDE or even in your own car. Give me a break.
Yup... that total smoking ban is actually being proposed in Belmont, which is about 20 miles south of San Francisco - probably wouldn't go over well in the city, even today. I used to live in Belmont, and think it's totally ridiculous... as you said, we're still supposed to have some personal choices in this country!

P.S. You can see my detailed comments on this issue (and the one in Belmont), if you go back a few pages.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:07 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,394,639 times
I don't smoke and I do not support this ban, I think it's mostly stupid. The school I go the smokers use to sit RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE DOOR, and they blocked my way into the building, that's all i cared about. When they made the smokers move away from the door I was happy again, I didn't have to maneuver around everyone to get to the door.

Now for bowling alleys and bars, this is also stupid, most the people that smoke this is where they smoke in a public environment, and these are the people most bars get their business from. If you don't like the smell of smoke it's easy enough to not go into one of these establishments.

Don't force down on everyone else because, oh the smell offends me.

If this is the way it's going to be, then they should make it so fat people can't buy anything but health food. And make soda/cola illegal because there is so much sugar in it. This is stupid.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:11 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,163,499 times
Oh yeah - How about banning beer at local events, since I don't want to smell that stanky beer breath when I walk past the drunks.

I use to smoke - I never smoked in eateries or in my car/home. I do think there should be limited areas where they can smoke but to put a total ban on it all, no.........

Old 02-05-2007, 04:17 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,634 times
"If this is the way it's going to be, then they should make it so fat people can't buy anything but health food. And make soda/cola illegal because there is so much sugar in it. This is stupid."

Sadly, I think those things really aren't far from reality. They already banned trans-fat in all NYC restaurants and where I live, they can't sell soda in schools during school hours.

Please understand I'm not "anti-health" and I'm all for INFORMED decision making (i.e., making people aware if there's trans-fat in food or whatever so you can CHOOSE not to eat it if that concerns you) but all of these "regulations" that are supposed to "save us from ourselves" reek strongly of Big Brother to me.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Oh yes we all know that the air inside your home NEVER makes it outside! THANK GOODNESS NO ONE CAN SMOKE OUTSIDE!

Old 02-05-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Sadly, I think those things really aren't far from reality. They already banned trans-fat in all NYC restaurants and where I live, they can't sell soda in schools during school hours.

Please understand I'm not "anti-health" and I'm all for INFORMED decision making (i.e., making people aware if there's trans-fat in food or whatever so you can CHOOSE not to eat it if that concerns you) but all of these "regulations" that are supposed to "save us from ourselves" reek strongly of Big Brother to me.
I'm a health freak! Me, not anyone else in my household, just me.

Every once in awhile I don't mind going out and getting a little daring and eating them BK fries and whatnot.

And don't get me wrong, I still do drink soft drinks, mainly the diet caffeine free ones. But mostly I drink flavored water, the chlorine taste just doesn't cut it anymore.

And yes, I do agree, put it right on the side of the menu, and the packaging say, "For your information these products may contain high levels of different kinds of fatty acids" or whatever and list it.

There isn't any reason to keep banning (not Banning, CA mind you! lol.. bad joke) everything, just flat out put it on the box, or whatever, this includes this, eat/drink it if you want to. And be done with it, if people buy it, then they bought it knowing all well what could happen.

Old 02-05-2007, 04:33 PM

Next time someone takes a bit dump in a public restroom, or it smells like they crap their pants in a store, or rip a huge one and it stinks or I hear it... I'll make sure I write my congressman to tell everyone no farting in public, no pooping in the restrooms if you're unable to make it NOT smell, and above all no stench factory babies allowed within 1000 feet of another living being.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:28 AM

234 posts, read 786,152 times
I've been studying smoking bans all thru history, and none of them have ever lasted, and prohibition didn't last either. In time, people get tired of being told what to do, and all of the restrictions, laws, rules, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health