Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 01:33 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,698,677 times

Advertisements

For those who have never experienced depression, you could never understand the feeling that it's impossible to get out of bed due to lack of energy.

This thread is for those who do understand from experience.

Major depressive disorder is my diagnosis. I talk about mental health frequently for myself and to continue to combat lasting stigmas.

Most days, with the combo of psych drugs I take, I can live a "normal" life. On the other days, the lack of energy is in itself depressing....I put off household chores, paperwork etc. due to that feeling of inertia.

Taking a shower, cooking, doing laundry helps the energy level but at times it's hard to even do those activities. Some days I just give in and do crosswords for hours. At least I must take care of 3 cats...

How do you get yourself motivated when the feeling of low energy appears...? It's like a syringe is inserted and then all energy sucked out of you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 01:39 PM

25,337 posts, read 16,977,494 times
How?

Medication. No other way.

But I never really had your experience. There was a time - '97 - when I suffered silently, and finally sought treatment. Effexor was kind of new at the time, and for me it was PERFECT!.........PERFECT! I felt like there was a party going on and no one had ever told me.

I stayed with it for about 8 years. If I ever have another depressive episode I will use it again.

A good over-the-counter substitute is St John's Wort. A lot of people just don't want to take a prescribed anti-depressant so they use St John's Wort. It works.

Old 03-03-2018, 02:47 PM

My meds work great most days....just not every day. Glad you have something that works for you...Listener.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:01 PM

15,704 posts, read 9,412,325 times
I have those same days. It's 4 pm now and I just got up an hour ago. Weekends are horrible for me because the routine is all gone and everyone is living their own lives and I'm left isolated in the boonies with no transportation. The meds took away the desire to act on my suicidal impulses but did not take away my desire to die. Every day is tough.

You asked how I work up the motivation when low energy appears. The answer is I don't. I can't.

Hang in there, blueheron.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I have those same days. It's 4 pm now and I just got up an hour ago. Weekends are horrible for me because the routine is all gone and everyone is living their own lives and I'm left isolated in the boonies with no transportation. The meds took away the desire to act on my suicidal impulses but did not take away my desire to die. Every day is tough.

You asked how I work up the motivation when low energy appears. The answer is I don't. I can't.

Hang in there, blueheron.

Joe, maybe you'd benefit from a medication revamp??? It took me yrs to get situated on the 4 meds I take now...Generally, I feel good. And therapy, if you stick with it, is helpful overall, to discuss the reasoning behind the depression....once you can id that, it is a lot easier. Sorry to sound bossy...it's just that I don't want even one person to suffer as I did...

Being isolated is hard on some...do you have an option to move closer to a town or city, so you could get around without a car??? You are right, weekends are different than weekdays where you have a set schedule.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:18 PM

15,704 posts, read 9,412,325 times
I have an appointment with my doc on Tuesday, so I am going to talk with her about my feelings. And I am looking to move to Charlotte where they have better services. It is very rough here.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:39 PM

6,870 posts, read 7,815,421 times
I was really stuck for a few years right before, during and after my divorce. I spent days on the couch watching tv and noodling on the internet because I couldn't summon the energy to do anything. The house was neglected (especially dishes) I kept getting laid off. It was horrible. Mostly during the winter.

I had to pull my shorts up to go to work and care for my kids, and sometimes I faked it until I made it.

We moved to the sunny south 7 years ago and life is MUCH easier without the lack of sunlight. I did add welbutrin to my prozac which IMHO made a big difference.

I also take Vitamin B complex daily, and recently added Vitamin D.

I now have a great job and am much more financially secure. My kids are turning out well, although they both struggle with anxiety and depression as well. I really wish I had been a better role model. I still really struggle some days. I am exhausted all the time and i think that is still the depression dragging me down. I'm going to be evaluated for ADD to see if the stimulant meds will help me be less scattered and therefore less paralyzed in the face of seemingly insurmountable obstacles (dirty dishes)

Old 03-03-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I have an appointment with my doc on Tuesday, so I am going to talk with her about my feelings. And I am looking to move to Charlotte where they have better services. It is very rough here.

Oh good, you have a plan! I lived in Charlotte twice...loved it. So much to do, many opportunities....yes, Lancaster would offer less overall, I imagine.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I was really stuck for a few years right before, during and after my divorce. I spent days on the couch watching tv and noodling on the internet because I couldn't summon the energy to do anything. The house was neglected (especially dishes) I kept getting laid off. It was horrible. Mostly during the winter.

I had to pull my shorts up to go to work and care for my kids, and sometimes I faked it until I made it.

We moved to the sunny south 7 years ago and life is MUCH easier without the lack of sunlight. I did add welbutrin to my prozac which IMHO made a big difference.

I also take Vitamin B complex daily, and recently added Vitamin D.

I now have a great job and am much more financially secure. My kids are turning out well, although they both struggle with anxiety and depression as well. I really wish I had been a better role model. I still really struggle some days. I am exhausted all the time and i think that is still the depression dragging me down. I'm going to be evaluated for ADD to see if the stimulant meds will help me be less scattered and therefore less paralyzed in the face of seemingly insurmountable obstacles (dirty dishes)

I had trouble after a divorce too.

Glad you moved... I live in NC, it's a good climate overall. Looking forward to summer!

Don't feel bad about your kids...you did the best you could. Just listening closely to them you can see if they
need psych intervention...if so, get them a child psychologist if possible, to avoid the depths of deep depression. Wish someone had helped me as a child....

I am on a stimulant too, can concentrate much better now...helps with weight loss due to med side effects.

I know how you feel....keep in touch through the thread.

And....use paper plates when doing dishes feels like too much

Old 03-03-2018, 04:31 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,535,555 times
It does seem harder as I age but trying to remember what made me motivated when younger -- or music, music, music, to rekindle my mindset really helps. It is like a free antidepressant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health