Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 07:22 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
You have an ingrained habit now....break it.
My sister would habitually hit the sack at midnight...sometimes later, and then complain that she was having problems sleeping....for years
Just in the last week she's had her computer in for fixing, and having no TV she's found she's not only doing more during her day...but low and behold she hit the sack at 9:30 the other day and said she slept through to 8:30 next morn. She hasn't had a decent sleep like that in years. I imagine that'll change back to what it was (insomnia) when she gets her computer back though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 07:35 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Even better if combined with this:

But I agree - some changes/adjustments in lifestyle are needed...

Old 03-14-2018, 01:49 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
My sister would habitually hit the sack at midnight...sometimes later, and then complain that she was having problems sleeping....for years
Just in the last week she's had her computer in for fixing, and having no TV she's found she's not only doing more during her day...but low and behold she hit the sack at 9:30 the other day and said she slept through to 8:30 next morn. She hasn't had a decent sleep like that in years. I imagine that'll change back to what it was (insomnia) when she gets her computer back though.
Many people find the intense blue light of display screens (TV, computers) later at night find it harder to drop off to sleep. Interferes with melatonin's regulation of your sleep/wake cycle.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:49 PM

820 posts, read 972,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Joe's right...if you have to get up to stop it you'll stay up.....unless you really don't want to go to your classes.
Knowing that you may fall back to sleep after stopping the alarm, yet still doing it..tells me that it's because you don't really care whether you make it to class or not.

You could do it if you really wanted to.
Try hitting the sack at a decent hour.....11:00's obviously too late.
What don't you people understand? If I put it across the room I will not hear it! That's what I am trying to say. You don't think I'd like to be able to do that? And don't you DARE insinuate that I don't care. If you're going to make assumptions about me then get the heck off this thread.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:30 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
What don't you people understand? If I put it across the room I will not hear it! That's what I am trying to say. You don't think I'd like to be able to do that? And don't you DARE insinuate that I don't care. If you're going to make assumptions about me then get the heck off this thread.
The alarm listed on post #4 seems to be exceptional loud. Give it a try. You can always send it back...

Sonic Alert SBB500SS Sonic Bomb Loud Dual Alarm Clock with Bed Shaker
Part old-school alarm clock, part Armageddon, the Sonic Alert combines pulsating lights, a 12-volt bed shaker, and a siren that can reach 113 decibels (about the same level as a jet plane before it takes off) to shake you out of bed. With more than 4,500 (mostly 5-star) reviews on Amazon, this is one alarm clock that looks near-impossible to sleep through....
You could pair it with your phone alarm set apart 3 min with the loudest sound available. If you have Android there is an alarm sound : 900000000000000000-ringtone-1060905. It's loud!

But it's not that you can't hear the alarm, but you hit the snooze and go back to sleep.
Knowing that it could happen, you just need to get up as soon you hear that alarm, so perhaps putting it out of reach would help?
It doesn't have to be across the room, just far enough that you couldn't hit the snooze from your bed...

BTW: can you hear your phone
ringing when you are asleep? Would it wake you up?

Last edited by elnina; 03-14-2018 at 08:42 PM..

Old 03-15-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The alarm listed on post #4 seems to be exceptional loud. Give it a try. You can always send it back...

Sonic Alert SBB500SS Sonic Bomb Loud Dual Alarm Clock with Bed Shaker
Part old-school alarm clock, part Armageddon, the Sonic Alert combines pulsating lights, a 12-volt bed shaker, and a siren that can reach 113 decibels (about the same level as a jet plane before it takes off) to shake you out of bed. With more than 4,500 (mostly 5-star) reviews on Amazon, this is one alarm clock that looks near-impossible to sleep through....
You could pair it with your phone alarm set apart 3 min with the loudest sound available. If you have Android there is an alarm sound : 900000000000000000-ringtone-1060905. It's loud!

But it's not that you can't hear the alarm, but you hit the snooze and go back to sleep.
Knowing that it could happen, you just need to get up as soon you hear that alarm, so perhaps putting it out of reach would help?
It doesn't have to be across the room, just far enough that you couldn't hit the snooze from your bed...

BTW: can you hear your phone
ringing when you are asleep? Would it wake you up?
I did it well today. Slept well last night too. Now gotta just keep the discipline and I do now set 2 alarms in case I go back to sleep.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:34 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
What helped me out was I got a silent (vibrating) alarm on my watch. Well that part was only important since I was driving my wife crazy with the alarm snoozing. Anyway, I got that and configured it such that the alarm could only be dismissed from my phone, which I charge in another room. By the time I get to the other room, I'm already up and awake enough to not go back to bed.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
What helped me out was I got a silent (vibrating) alarm on my watch. Well that part was only important since I was driving my wife crazy with the alarm snoozing. Anyway, I got that and configured it such that the alarm could only be dismissed from my phone, which I charge in another room. By the time I get to the other room, I'm already up and awake enough to not go back to bed.
I don’t have that type of watch but that does sound interesting.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:52 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
I don’t have that type of watch but that does sound interesting.
Even putting the alarm clock across the room might be enough. But if you put it outside your room, you might not hear it.

Old 03-20-2018, 03:08 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
I have one that gradually starts to light up 30 min before I'm ready to get up. It may be that if sounds don't wake you up, the light will. It helps that I keep my bedroom quite dark at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health