Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:56 PM

820 posts, read 964,102 times

Advertisements

I am currently in college and have 8am classes 4 days a week. I normally do not have a problem getting up, despite how exhausted I am when that alarm rings, but I have unfortunately overslept and missed my Monday Wednesday 8am class 3 times this semester. I almost did it a 4th time today. My alarm went off at 7, I shut it and laid my head back down intending to not fall back to sleep, and next thing I know I wake up and it's 7:50 so I have to run to class without showering or shaving. This has only happened with my MW class. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I get up with minimal problems even though I much prefer my MW 8am over the TR. My MW 8am is a joke and it's usually out by 8:20 or 8:30 instead of the expected 9:15. My TR is my hardest class, so maybe that is an intrinsic motivator. I go to bed at a reasonable time (11:30) but often don't fall asleep until 1 or 1:30 due to stressful thoughts that I can't control. But this has happened even when I get my 8 hours (which is very rare) because I am exhausted when my alarm goes off. One of the 3 times I missed the class, I didn't wake up at all because I had slept 4 hours two nights ago and my body obviously needed to catch up. The other 2 times, I laid down after the alarm and that turned into another 2 hours of sleep. I have made up the necessary work for the class, but if it happens one more time I will fail for the semester (no more than 3 unexcused absences are allowed, and I am at 3). Normally I drag myself out of bed, but those 4 times I really screwed up, and I don't want to not be able to work a normal job one day and face the embarrassment and inconvenience of failing this class because I do enjoy the class itself and like the professor. So besides the usual methods of setting the alarm out of reach (I'm afraid I won't hear it if I do that), how can I stop myself from screwing up again in the future? I like getting classes done early but I can't keep oversleeping. And I am really a good student and NEVER slack off or intentionally blow off class. I do often get homesick and miss my own bed and room and feel uninvolved in my family because I am away, but it doesn't affect my ability to function or go to class, so I'm sure that's not a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 04:13 PM

15,697 posts, read 9,439,845 times
Put an alarm clock across the room

Old 03-13-2018, 04:18 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,147,953 times
First of all, why aren't you getting enough sleep?

Fix that.

Second, here are a couple of ideas:

https://www.amazon.com/Clocky-Origin...rm+clock&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Ruggie-Alarm-...lock+mat&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Gun-Target-Re...larm+clock+mat

Old 03-13-2018, 04:19 PM

15,701 posts, read 16,978,899 times
https://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Alert-S...ud+alarm+clock

At nearly 65, I put my regular alarm clock across the room so I have to get out of bed to turn it off and I have no trouble hearing it......don't know why you can't hear an alarm 10-15-20 feet away.

Anyway, this clock should work for you.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:22 PM

820 posts, read 964,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Stress. Pure stress and constant thinking. I also watch TV before bed but I do the same thing at home with no problems.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:31 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,147,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
Stress. Pure stress and constant thinking. I also watch TV before bed but I do the same thing at home with no problems.
Ok. Time for meditation.
Go to youtube and seriously try some of the guided meditation on there in the evenings.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:32 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,602,336 times
Sleep Cycle alarm (which is an app on your phone) uses a microphone to measure your movements/breathing and then takes that information to wake you up during your sleep cycle in the most optimal time for you within a time period you select so that you will wake up the most refreshed. It usually recommends a 30-minute time period.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:23 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,041,756 times
Quote:
I am currently in college and have 8am classes 4 days a week. I normally do not have a problem getting up, despite how exhausted I am when that alarm rings, but I have unfortunately overslept and missed my Monday Wednesday 8am class 3 times this semester. I almost did it a 4th time today. My alarm went off at 7, I shut it and laid my head back down intending to not fall back to sleep, and next thing I know I wake up and it's 7:50 so I have to run to class without showering or shaving. This has only happened with my MW class. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I get up with minimal problems even though I much prefer my MW 8am over the TR. My MW 8am is a joke and it's usually out by 8:20 or 8:30 instead of the expected 9:15. My TR is my hardest class, so maybe that is an intrinsic motivator. I go to bed at a reasonable time (11:30) but often don't fall asleep until 1 or 1:30 due to stressful thoughts that I can't control. But this has happened even when I get my 8 hours (which is very rare) because I am exhausted when my alarm goes off. One of the 3 times I missed the class, I didn't wake up at all because I had slept 4 hours two nights ago and my body obviously needed to catch up. The other 2 times, I laid down after the alarm and that turned into another 2 hours of sleep. I have made up the necessary work for the class, but if it happens one more time I will fail for the semester (no more than 3 unexcused absences are allowed, and I am at 3). Normally I drag myself out of bed, but those 4 times I really screwed up, and I don't want to not be able to work a normal job one day and face the embarrassment and inconvenience of failing this class because I do enjoy the class itself and like the professor. So besides the usual methods of setting the alarm out of reach (I'm afraid I won't hear it if I do that), how can I stop myself from screwing up again in the future? I like getting classes done early but I can't keep oversleeping. And I am really a good student and NEVER slack off or intentionally blow off class. I do often get homesick and miss my own bed and room and feel uninvolved in my family because I am away, but it doesn't affect my ability to function or go to class, so I'm sure that's not a factor.
Its very simple, drink a large glass of water at bedtime, when the alarm goes off you will either pe like a donkey or wet the bed.
Your choice.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:31 PM

23,005 posts, read 18,318,354 times
Quote:
Millions of college students face the same problem every morning, always have, always will. Most manage. Watching TV before bed will either put you to sleep or the intense display light will keep you awake. At home you know you have no driving deadline the next morning, so the TV indulgence isn't a problem. Constant thinking? Right. People who are not in college are not constantly thinking. Everyone is constantly thinking unless they are in a vegetative state.

Make a point of going to bed sooner so you have more sleep under your belt than you do now. Work on getting to sleep sooner the night before. Take a bath, drink some warm sleep-inducing tea, meditate, relaxation, whatever it takes. You have an ingrained habit now....break it.

Old 03-14-2018, 07:17 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,215,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Put an alarm clock across the room
Joe's right...if you have to get up to stop it you'll stay up.....unless you really don't want to go to your classes.
Knowing that you may fall back to sleep after stopping the alarm, yet still doing it..tells me that it's because you don't really care whether you make it to class or not.

You could do it if you really wanted to.
Try hitting the sack at a decent hour.....11:00's obviously too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health