Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 04:21 PM

34 posts, read 52,924 times

Advertisements

I say suddenly but we noticed her acting strange several months ago and it just got worse and worse. So since she seemed fine for forty years I guess a few months would qualify for suddenly.

This person is the other grandmother to my grandkids. It is truly a sad thing and thats why I'm writing this. In hopes that someone reading it might have an answer or a similar experience to what she and the rest of us are going through. The children don't understand what has happened to their MiMi who was totally and completely involved in their lives up until six months ago.

She has Fibormalasia and was taking medication for that illness for some thirteen years or so when she and her husband decided to try weed instead. So she (in one day) stopped taking the meds she had taken for thirteen years and began to smoke weed VERY heavily! From the moment she got out of bed until she went to sleep she smoked. We slowly began to see her withdraw from the family and then she started buying something from the smoke shop in town. I'm thinking it was some of that synthetic stuff because she made a very quick nose dive psychologically speaking.

I would like to know if anyone has any first hand knowledge. We have read that the synthetic stuff is very dangerous. That it can bring out a psychosis that may have been buried before but what we don't know is if anyone ever comes back from this.

Thanks for reading and I welcome any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 04:43 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Marijuana can also bring out paranoia and other symptoms.

Has she been diagnosed by a psychiatrist?? If no, this is an evaluation that needs to happen...Otherwise, how do you know she is schizophrenic??

Synthetic marijuana is made with all sorts of chemicals and untoward ingredients. It is unregulated...Remember all the horrible cases we've heard of..? Someone eating another's flesh, murders, bizarre actions...there is no set amount of ingredients to make this...anything can and does make it's way into the concoction.

Get her stopped immediately and to a MD for help.

If actual marijuana helped her symptoms, and you are in a legal marij. state, get a MD order for her to purchase legal pot for her illness.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:09 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
She's not schizophrenic unless she has been for a very long time. It doesn't manifest at 40.

It sounds like a substance problem

Old 04-12-2018, 06:19 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
She's not schizophrenic unless she has been for a very long time. It doesn't manifest at 40.

It sounds like a substance problem
I believe that the typical age of onset for schizophrenia in women is mid/late 20s to early 30s (men usually demonstrate it earlier).

Yes, it could be substance abuse.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:10 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
40 is an unusually late onset for a diagnosis of schizophrenia.

Given the limited info, it would be a good idea to have her get a comprehensive physical exam to R/O any physical factors, drug interactions, age related conditions etc.

Best do this sooner in an effort to put a halt to whatever is happening to her and get her on a therapeutic course of treatment.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:43 AM

34 posts, read 52,924 times
Thanks for the comments.

She has recently been admitted to a mental facility and diagnosed as bipolar and schizophrenia. She believes she can make herself invisible, she has been seen arguing with herself, she can be violent, the list goes on and on. I agree that it is very rare for this to happen at such a late time in life. When you say that it sounds like substance abuse are you saying that she can return to her normal self after detox?? We are hoping this will happen.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:15 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,798,919 times
There is drug induced schizophrenia. Very rare at her age, but I'm sure it happens. (There is also childhood schizophrenia--also very rare.) Most people manifest schizophrenia in their late teens and early 20s, also the time when many have their first experiences with drugs.

Marijuana Users Risk Schizophrenia, But the Drug Helps Pain: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...s-pain-n706196

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrad79 View Post
When you say that it sounds like substance abuse are you saying that she can return to her normal self after detox?? We are hoping this will happen.
It's likely. Glad to know that she's receiving medical care.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:44 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
Diagnosing Schizophrenia and BD usually occurs after a comprehensive history of symptomatic behaviours.
At first presentation, if there are clear psychotic symptoms it is usual to give a person a less severe diagnosis like Transient Psychotic Episode or Drug induced Psychotic Episode.
In her case, there are also some midlife medical and psychological triggers (estrogen loss etc).

Hopefully, with short term treatment, she will recover.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Please read my old CD thread about my sister in law:
//www.city-data.com/forum/menta...ptoms-age.html

It was terrifying, but after relentless research, hospitalizations, multiple doctors, my brother helped find that she had too much testosterone, she had a partial hysterectomy and is fine again.

No marijuana use with her, but I do know a young man that gets quite paranoid and delusional from weed.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:11 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,567 times
Men do start getting Sz in their late teens early 20's, while women can get it in their mid-to-late 30's. There can be early onset as well, as young as 6 years old, according to some of my colleagues: the child didn't put the lights out at night because the dolls would start talking.

Examine the links; they provide a good explanation for many disorders:Diathesis Stress Theory

See also: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...49763416301713
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health