Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:40 AM

335 posts, read 354,706 times

Advertisements

I stopped half way through a work email to make this post...

My wife has always called me a "busy body" and easily getting distracted and side-tracked. I can't sit still and "relax" for very long. A few weekends ago, my mom was in town visiting and mentioned how she thought I might have had some ADHD issues in high-school (not being able to pay attention, focus in school, etc) but nothing was done about it.

Now, here I am in my mid30s and I honestly do think I have a problem focusing (I get bored watching a tv show or reading more than a page or two in a book).

However, I feel weird going to a doctor and describing this problem, as I don't want them to think I just want to get my hands on some drugs.

Is that weird? Should I continue to ignore (I don't think it's hurting my career or life really) or should I address?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 10:43 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
If you won't listen to mom or wife you likely won't listen to us....

Yes weird..... get an evaluation if you are worried.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 04-23-2018 at 11:13 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 10:46 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,506,923 times
lack of focus isn't ADHD, it's lack of discipline...

why ADHD is the catch all for not learning how to focus for the past 20 years is absurd

if you can focus on something you are interested in, say playing a game or a book, then you don't have ADHD, you are just uninterested in putting in the time into something you find boring.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:09 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,528,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post

My wife has always called me a "busy body" and easily getting distracted and side-tracked. I can't sit still and "relax" for very long. A few weekends ago, my mom was in town visiting and mentioned how she thought I might have had some ADHD issues in high-school (not being able to pay attention, focus in school, etc) but nothing was done about it.

Now, here I am in my mid30s and I honestly do think I have a problem focusing (I get bored watching a tv show or reading more than a page or two in a book).

However, I feel weird going to a doctor and describing this problem, as I don't want them to think I just want to get my hands on some drugs.

Is that weird? Should I continue to ignore (I don't think it's hurting my career or life really) or should I address?

You post doesn't match your headline. Either you don't want to address it (header) or you perhaps do want to address it but for some reason you are embarrassed or uncomfortable about addressing it (post).

After you figure out which one is which, then you can see what to do. This requires some self-honesty.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:46 PM

335 posts, read 354,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
lack of focus isn't ADHD, it's lack of discipline...

why ADHD is the catch all for not learning how to focus for the past 20 years is absurd

if you can focus on something you are interested in, say playing a game or a book, then you don't have ADHD, you are just uninterested in putting in the time into something you find boring.
Thanks. I don't think its a discipline issue, because I'm able to be disciplined (I am able to go to the gym every day, save money each paycheck, quit smoking, etc..) Those habits seem to be more discipline rather than focus related.

For example, I am disciplined enough to find a book I'm interested in with information I want to have, but I'm not focused on what I'm reading and get side tracked with another task or conversation. I've rarely made it through entire books in my life, even ones I enjoy. Does that make sense?

Old 04-23-2018, 04:01 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,235,612 times
If it's not effecting your life in a negative way, why would you even want a diagnosis.
What for?

Old 04-24-2018, 02:01 PM

23,081 posts, read 18,469,364 times
I often think people get an odd sort of reassurance from applying a label to themselves. A label means the things they worry about are explained. They suddenly belong to a group instead of being alone. They don't need to do more mental work on it. Someone else was able to define their behavior so the person doesn't have to do it themselves. At some point a person can use it as an excuse for a habit they don't want to break.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:12 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,048,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I often think people get an odd sort of reassurance from applying a label to themselves. A label means the things they worry about are explained. They suddenly belong to a group instead of being alone. They don't need to do more mental work on it. Someone else was able to define their behavior so the person doesn't have to do it themselves. At some point a person can use it as an excuse for a habit they don't want to break.
Oh yeh, look at all the people who claim they are allergic to gluten. Its scientifically impossible for them all to be telling the truth.
They're "special".

Old 04-25-2018, 12:14 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,048,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post

Youre restless and discontent because something is missing in your state of being.
Guess what it is.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:17 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,235,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
absolutely!!!!....worth reading again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health