Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:23 AM

33 posts, read 235,133 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me what exactly Chantix does to help you quit smoking? I keep hearing a lot of positive things about it, as well as the negative - but for anyone who says it helped them quit - how does this work?

My husband, my sister and I all decided to try it. My husband and I are on day 10, my sis is on day 6. We've all experienced some side effects - nothing too crazy - headaches, dizzy sort of "out of it" feelings from time to time (hard to focus), my husband and sis get sore throats, I get really nauseous and we all have trouble sleeping. I realize these are all pretty common side effects, and if it helps to quit smoking then it's a good trade-off.

What none of us can seem to figure out is how or when the Chantix actually HELPS something. It's not helping any of us with the cravings or anything like that, we're all irritable (as expected, when quitting smoking with or without help), and basically aside from the not-so-fun side effects, the only thing that seems to be helping me at all with not smoking (aside from just willpower) is the nausea. I suppose the more nauseos I stay, the less I want to smoke. But my husband and sis don't have the nausea so I guess that side-effect won't help them. If so many people have quit using this, do you have any advice or experience to share? At day 10, I just can't figure out if the side effects are worth it, since it hasn't actually helped with anything yet... Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
The generic name of Chantix is varenicline. The 'nic' in its name is important because that tells you how it works. It is NOT nicotine, but it occupies nicotinic receptors in the brain and stops the cravings.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:35 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
I just started Day 14 on Chantix. For me it keeps the cravings at a manageable level so that I can ignore them. I've been smoke free for 6 full days now, starting Day 7. It does not however seem to be affecting the withdrawal symptoms. Although I might add I'm not nearly as irritable as I should be. That might be because I'm sleeping 16 hours a day though.

I'm glad I'm on disability while trying to do this and not at work. (my coworkers are as well.)

Old 10-02-2008, 01:01 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,683,453 times
I am on my third week and I am still smoking. Now I have cut down significantly but I still can't seem to give them up entirely without feeling like my chest is caving in and wanting to kill everyone. The side effects do suck. I get the nausea big time and if I don't remember to eat yogurt before taking the pill I will throw up. Not fun. The really crazy vivid dreams are there as well but those are actually kind of fun. Only one nightmare so far. The thing that is interesting about the dreams is that they really are more like movies with a start, a middle and an end rather than random stuff popping up here and there. Oh well, I am not giving up yet. Good luck to the others who are trying to quit!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:15 PM

Thanks for the replies. Congratulations on your recent quit molochai2580! 6 days is a REALLY long time when it comes to quitting smoking.

I've only had a couple cigarettes over the past few days, and none today so I'm getting there but the cravings haven't stopped or even mellowed at all (for any of us). Sleeping 16 hours a day does sound helpful... haha

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:20 PM

Kathleen, I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one struggling with the "wonder pill" - haha! I honestly think the cutting down (at least for me) has been more willpower than help from the Chantix. It's definitely a constant struggle though. Good luck to you -and anyone else out there trying!

Old 10-02-2008, 01:26 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmarie View Post
Thanks for the replies. Congratulations on your recent quit molochai2580! 6 days is a REALLY long time when it comes to quitting smoking.

I've only had a couple cigarettes over the past few days, and none today so I'm getting there but the cravings haven't stopped or even mellowed at all (for any of us). Sleeping 16 hours a day does sound helpful... haha

Thanks!
Thanks. For me it is a little easier because I am having a knee problem (it won't heal after a surgery in June) and the doctor said he wouldn't treat me if I'm a smoker. So it was quit or stay on crutches for the rest of my life, in a leg imobilizer (I'm only 28). I have to be tabacco free for 6 weeks. Nov 12th is my blood test.

I think that that ultimatium is really the will power that is keeping me from smoking. Before I really had no intention or inclination to quit.

Congrats on your cutting back! Hopefully you will quit soon, but all in your own time.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:51 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
It works with the part of the brain that produces a chemical that causes your nicotene cravings ..Go to the Chantix web site to learn more., also sign up for their online support plan...Anyway, I quit with chantix before my first week was up..I had heard about some of the more profound side effects and that kind of frightened me too, but I guess it really worked its magic on my addiction center..The last cigarette didn't taste good and left me a little nauseous so I knew I had aced the addiction and needed to drop the habit..I have been smoke free for nearly two years..In the early months, occassionally I would think I wanted one and once even grabbed a puff off my daughters..I got terribly dizzy and sick..Now I get that same feeling even thinking about smoking
Stick with it, the rewards are great and keep us informed..We will help as best we can

Old 10-02-2008, 02:45 PM

462 posts, read 1,877,215 times
I would say be aware of the side effects. It worked for my wife until she experienced some serious side effects. Mostly depression, coming off the drug. She's smoking again. She had quit for over 4 months. It seems, it works for some and others have these side effects. I quit six years ago, using the patch. After many, many tries.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:18 AM

14 posts, read 60,353 times
I agree with Bear Creek, i got VERY depressed on the pills, It was so bad i did not care about anything! I am a dog sitter and i was working, it was so bad i did not care of the dogs got feed or anything!, Thank god my boss saw this after a bit, and call MY Dr herself, He said to stop taking them right away! Then he put me on depression pills for a year, But i started to smoke again, Again like Bear Creek i went on the patch, and its been 90 days today with out a cig! and btw i am off the depression pills too!
I hope you find something that will help you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health