Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2018, 05:50 PM

147 posts, read 158,158 times

Advertisements

I understand moving somewhere will not cure you from you bagage but I think living in Chicago is not good for my anxiety it is to dense and the winters are hard I have been planning to move for years and I zeroed in on Tampa because I love the water but I am a little afraid that even Tampa could be a stressful city. I had a second location in mind it is ashville north Carolina. But I will not have the ocean and some winter.

I am escaping the big city to stressful my gut says somewhere like ashville might help my anxiety but is it to small should I give Tampa a chance for one year? See if not having winter helps my depression? Maybe buy a jet ski? Or is ashville more wise?

I would move out west but I want to be at least a twelve hours drive from grandparents who are not doing great. Ashville is six hours from grandparents.tampa is 12 hours from grandparents.

Me and my wife are taking six month break and she is gonna come and see me she likes Tampa but she is open to ashville she does not like the hipster feel of ashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 12:24 AM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
I doubt you will ever find a location that is perfect. IMHO you could move any number of places but unless you learn to manage stress internally moving won't automatically solve the problem. A stressor in one location could very easily get replaced by another in the new location. One place may be too cold. Another may be too hot. Any city can be crowded and the pace too high. Financial or job stress can happen anywhere. If you expect too much from a move and end up disappointed, well, that's a stressor all in itself. You could end up chasing rainbows and never finding relief. The ways you are trying to handle the effects stress has on you isn't working, so learn new ones. That's the baggage trouble, it's not the zip code.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I doubt you will ever find a location that is perfect. IMHO you could move any number of places but unless you learn to manage stress internally moving won't automatically solve the problem. A stressor in one location could very easily get replaced by another in the new location. One place may be too cold. Another may be too hot. Any city can be crowded and the pace too high. Financial or job stress can happen anywhere. If you expect too much from a move and end up disappointed, well, that's a stressor all in itself. You could end up chasing rainbows and never finding relief. The ways you are trying to handle the effects stress has on you isn't working, so learn new ones. That's the baggage trouble, it's not the zip code.

I understand, but I was kind of thinking better to deal with anxiety or stress on a beach or in the mountains than in Chicago a concrete urban jungle. Nother thing I was thinking I could be experiencing is a sensitivity to Cell Phone towers. I use to live in chicago suburbs but have lived in the city of chicago for past seven years and have just felt awful.

Isnt it better to be depressed on a beach than depressed stuck in an apartment in chicago.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:23 PM

23,319 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo2018 View Post
I understand, but I was kind of thinking better to deal with anxiety or stress on a beach or in the mountains than in Chicago a concrete urban jungle. Nother thing I was thinking I could be experiencing is a sensitivity to Cell Phone towers. I use to live in chicago suburbs but have lived in the city of chicago for past seven years and have just felt awful.

Isnt it better to be depressed on a beach than depressed stuck in an apartment in chicago.
Well, it might, but living in those places tends to be expensive. If getting that beach or mountains meant you ended up taking a job you don't want, living beyond your means and watching your debt pile up, sitting on that beach might be even harder to enjoy.

BTW, cell phone towers exist in most places.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-18-2018 at 02:57 PM..

Old 06-18-2018, 06:42 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,067,333 times
Quote:

You are depressed in your mind.
Geographic cures can be a lie.

I moved to northern maine, its like heaven to me, like hell for others.
Just depends on your spiritual condition.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:07 PM

I agree I am having a big problem with living in Chicago though. I could move to the suburbs or somewhere better I hardly see my family in Chicago so I am looking somewhere with more to do. In Chicago there is hardly any nature I have to drive an hour to Indiana sand dunes beach. It's just a city surrounded by corn fields.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:21 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:
I agree I am having a big problem with living in Chicago though. I could move to the suburbs or somewhere better I hardly see my family in Chicago so I am looking somewhere with more to do. In Chicago there is hardly any nature I have to drive an hour to Indiana sand dunes beach. It's just a city surrounded by corn fields.

I totally understand how you feel, be lucky you have all the options you have available to you in Chicago. Living in the city like you do can be stressful, no doubt, and if you don't like the winters and the stress of an urban lifestyle than moving can indeed lessen your stress, but a new city and new people and even a new job are all stressors, and you can wind up with even more stress than what you left behind.

That is not to discourage you, you just have to realize that, initially, you might be facing even more stress than what you leave behind, you have to prepare yourself for this, and you have to know that your move is what you want, what you meticulously planned for, and is what you are totally prepared for.

Consider yourself lucky: I live downstate and don't enjoy any of the extracurriculars you have available in the city, I'm experiencing everything you are, X 2. I'm trying to use my time to plan my future move wisely (in around 5 years) where I am absolutely certain I'm going somewhere I am ready for and is right for me.

Old 06-25-2018, 02:04 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,125,200 times
IMHO, it seems to me that many folks approaching retirement "over-think" and possibly have waited too long before beginning to figure out where they are going to spend their retirement years.
Common sense tells me that SOME aspects of your life (up to about age 45 to 50) should have a meaningful effect on planning your retirement...........such as:
What are your hobbies, interests, what type of weather environment do you want, do you want to live in the City, a Small town or out in the rural countryside?...............If you haven't come up with intelligent answers to AT LEAST these questions by age 50,..............then you better start now or IMHO you're in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health