Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 01:51 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at giving mental health sessions another go. Too many issues to list and the limited, local providers in the area are rather so-so in their quality of care.
I live in eastern NM and have looked up a host of actual, psychiatrists in Albuquerque and have even given closer Lubbock a try.
Albuquerque seems more doable due to there being more practitioners in the area accepting my insurance.

Anyone else comfortable with having to take a roadtrip for proper care? Or is the local option always better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 01:56 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Go for the very best care you can find and afford! Honestly, it's hard to find good psychiatrists. No big deal if you travel some...just make sure you like and can easily talk with this person.

Glad for you...therapy can bring a huge change if you participate fully.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:34 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
I wouldn't travel far for a psychiatrist because in my experience, they don't delve into therapy too much. However, I would travel for a therapist.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I wouldn't travel far for a psychiatrist because in my experience, they don't delve into therapy too much. However, I would travel for a therapist.
I'm just looking into a general psychiatrist that handles all issues. I'm primarily dealing with indecisiveness in the long term career goals, math anxiety, and other "what to do with my life with little time before 40" issues. I was thinking an experienced person with the right credentials would be key.

Last couple of people I dealt with seemed like they were 5-10 years younger than I and fresh out of uni.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:49 PM

bentstrider is right....these days most psychiatrists don't do therapy. You do need an evaluation to set goals and to review if you might be a candidate for medication therapy.

When I went to therapy, I usually saw a psychologist....
the younger therapists you mention have advanced degrees in counseling but not MD or PhD degrees.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
bentstrider is right....these days most psychiatrists don't do therapy. You do need an evaluation to set goals and to review if you might be a candidate for medication therapy.

When I went to therapy, I usually saw a psychologist....
the younger therapists you mention have advanced degrees in counseling but not MD or PhD degrees.
Don't really want to go back to taking meds of any type.

As for the younger therapists, they do seem to be stretched quite thin over here. I would say there seems to be more of an emphasis, locally, on relationship-related issues and substance abuse.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:07 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Don't really want to go back to taking meds of any type.

As for the younger therapists, they do seem to be stretched quite thin over here. I would say there seems to be more of an emphasis, locally, on relationship-related issues and substance abuse.
I agree 100%. I find the elderly doctors are more likely to treat mental illness without specializing in relationship issues and/or addiction (which many of us have no need or interest in).

I also find older doctors are more generous with refills, where the newer ones (particularly females for some reason) will only give a 30 day supply. This can be difficult when you are working 8 - 5 and the practice hours are 9 - 5.

I am talking AD's, not controlled substances.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post

Yes I agree....that's why I tried to avoid that type of therapist...those weren't my issues.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Yes I agree....that's why I tried to avoid that type of therapist...those weren't my issues.
Definitely lots of homework and phone chasing involved. And with the great distance between the major populated areas, that would either mean taking time off of work, or devoting what little days I have off to dealing with the high speed freeways to get to those areas. Yeah, I drive trucks for a living, but that was one of my motivators to moving to such an out of the way area.

Much safer and easier to do this job out here than it ever was in Southern California. But after six years, I'm just now beginning to see the obvious drawbacks. A nice, little sign of how timid to the world I really am.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:24 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
You should see if someone will see you via skype.

And I agree-my experience with psychiatrists is they're primarily prescribers, not therapists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health