Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 09:22 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times

Advertisements

OP be wary of trying any medication or drug recommended by posters. We do not diagnose or offer treatment on this thread. We do discuss what others have found useful but check with your MD before using any OTC substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 09:23 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
What about finding out more about what causes it with your anger..

The reasons for your your anxiety and anger need to be addressed...most likely with a therapist.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:04 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,961,770 times
You might try substituting the teeth grinding during anger outbursts with another, less destructive, response. When you catch yourself grinding your teeth, try tapping your feet instead, or clicking your fingernails, some little activity like that which gives you the emotional release of teeth grinding, something you can do with the same rhythm.

It takes concentration and time, but it can eventually become a new habit to replace teeth grinding. I've done it myself.

Old 07-24-2018, 04:17 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,736,676 times
Sometimes if you grind your teeth long enough it becomes habit when you're at all stressed. From what I've read it's a hard habit to break. In some instances the tendency to grind is hereditary.

They do make mouthguards that you can wear doing the day and are virtually invisible.

I do agree that trying to manage your stress/anger will help but may not eliminate the problem entirely.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:45 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,625,076 times
I think it is going to be a combination of going into therapy to figure out what is causing the anxiety in the first place, possibly medication, and exercises. I have a friend who was just doing the first two (therapy when she needs it and medication), but she was still having a lot of issues with headaches and apparently had extreme neck tension. She started some exercises/stretches and says that they help her tremendously. I’ve known her for more than 20 years now and she’s always had a grinding problem... but it wasn’t until the neck stretches that she felt almost total relief. She felt some relief after reducing the stress in her life as well.

Even if you can’t get into therapy now, you should be able to talk to your primary care doctor who might be able to give you a prescription until you can get in to see specialty providers. Do you at least have a primary care doctor right now who can see you?

Old 07-24-2018, 09:25 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,593,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think it is going to be a combination of going into therapy to figure out what is causing the anxiety in the first place, possibly medication, and exercises. I have a friend who was just doing the first two (therapy when she needs it and medication), but she was still having a lot of issues with headaches and apparently had extreme neck tension. She started some exercises/stretches and says that they help her tremendously. I’ve known her for more than 20 years now and she’s always had a grinding problem... but it wasn’t until the neck stretches that she felt almost total relief. She felt some relief after reducing the stress in her life as well.

Even if you can’t get into therapy now, you should be able to talk to your primary care doctor who might be able to give you a prescription until you can get in to see specialty providers. Do you at least have a primary care doctor right now who can see you?
I’m transitioning from having a pediatrician (my pediatrician let “grandfathered in” patients see him till my current age of 22) to a regular primary care provider, and there is a waiting list there, too. Honestly, unless I go to the ER or drive 3 hours to the nearest big city without this kind of shortage, I’m stuck waiting. That said, I think I have an idea what the anxiety comes from.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:32 AM

23,084 posts, read 18,469,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I’m transitioning from having a pediatrician (my pediatrician let “grandfathered in” patients see him till my current age of 22) to a regular primary care provider, and there is a waiting list there, too. Honestly, unless I go to the ER or drive 3 hours to the nearest big city without this kind of shortage, I’m stuck waiting. That said, I think I have an idea what the anxiety comes from.
In the mean time you can research the exercises for free right off the web! You can also keep using the nightguard you have to lessen the amount of time you do grind and clench.

Old 07-25-2018, 11:39 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,625,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
It is not uncommon to have to wait to see a primary care doctor, to be honest. In one city I never go one because 90% were affiliated with a plan I didn’t have and the rest were not taking new patients. I got in my current doctor because she was new. Since it is July, you might have good luck since this is when residencies/fellowships are usually finishing up. Check around and see if places have doctors who are new to a practice.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:15 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,655,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingaa View Post
I advise you to try Inositol https://nootropicboost.com/buy-best-nootropics/, it relaxes nervous tension and promotes a stronger sleep. It alleviates panic attacks, depression.
I believe so many are MISSING this great B family supplement. I'm probably taking it close to 10 yrs and mostly in my sleep combo. And it works longterm for so much.

Inositol | Mental Health America

Old 11-06-2018, 09:57 AM

236 posts, read 257,422 times
Just to let you know my own experience, I got Botox injections in my jaw joint a few years ago for my tooth clenching problem. They helped by weakening my jaw muscles but the long term side effects hadn't really been studied throughly so I stopped (worried about them possibly causing jaw arthritis in the future). You might want to ask your internist or dentist about them.

Also, I started taking sertraline 6 weeks ago and it reduced my tooth grinding, though it hasn't helped much for the anxiety (and depression) it was actually prescribed for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health