Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 11:37 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^^^^^ I am so very sorry for your losses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 11:38 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,607,512 times
I'm glad that you are saving that much money for your family's future, they will need it when you pass away, probably in your mid/late 50's, if the lives of my good friends who were drinkers/smokers is typical. Please make sure you also have all your ducks in a row as far as identifying your heirs for your portfolio & having a will, I know you wouldn't want to put your family through the extra grief of probate when they may really need the money.

Even if you don't drink yourself away the chances are that you will be in a vehicle or some other type of accident or the almost certainty that if you continue drinking you will lose your family through a divorce.

I hope that you will be able to conquer your addiction, not easy... a daily struggle, that's probably why a peer group like AA works once one has that moment of clarity. Best of luck.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:38 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdman88 View Post
Does any of you drink 8 beers a night and live a good life late in your 60s or am I saving all this money for my wife to enjoy with her new husband?
You might want to check out the thread of the guy who drank heavily for years and now has (irreversible) alcoholic neuropathy.

Neuropathy is tingling, numbness and pain like you can’t imagine in your extremities, usually the hands and feet.

Good grief, man. You’re 34. This is the prime of your life. Why are you trying to ruin it? Do you want to be a divorced dad who only sees his kids every other weekend?

Old 08-02-2018, 11:47 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
This Post belongs in Mental Health, not retirement.

This poster is never going to take anyone's advice here, because addiction cannot be solved with advice.

I hope the Mod will move it.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:58 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
You're not going to live that long anyway unless you get control of your drinking. Good luck to you. .

Old 08-02-2018, 12:05 PM

284 posts, read 379,074 times
Your money will do nothing to help fix the lifetime of problems you've created for your children. Be a man, be a father. Your wife will get over it, your children will not.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:12 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
I grew up with a "functional alcoholic" father who drank 6-10 beers every night. He never even really got drunk, wasn't violent or anything like that. Eventually, the beers didn't work to keep him at his status quo anymore, and he 'graduated' to whiskey.

You know what I remember? The back of his head from him sitting in the living room drinking and watching sports or news and the dirty beer mugs in the sink. Him stumbling through the house from chair to fridge and back every night.

You have four kids. You want them to grow up thinking Daddy likes beer more than he likes them? You want them growing up and thinking this is normal and then marry someone who drinks and maybe doesn't handle it as well as you supposedly do? Most don't, you know.

You're a parent. The amount of money you save and how much you like your beer doesn't matter.

Get help.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:51 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,641 times
You may be saving for naught if that liver don't last till your retirement age. That savings may be used for medical instead.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:02 PM

51 posts, read 43,908 times
Some straight forward and harsh answers. And I thank all of you. I don't ever drive. Ever. I'm not violent. I try to hide the ammt the best I can. I only mentioned retirement and the money I save is because it's a big goal for me and my wife to travel in retirement. This was a what if I keep doing what I'm doing, will I ever see retirement? I'm gonna read this thread each day I love the answers and I hope the answers continue. I know there's a problem. I know it. The voice in my head tells me to stop at the gas station on the way home. I want to quit. I do. I love my 3 girls and my son. And despite everything me and the wife as very happy and get along great. I just have the x factor I need to get out of my life and I do know it

Old 08-02-2018, 01:16 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,899 times
I blame my doctor for my drinking. I recall the Dr saying 1 or 2 beers a day are good for you so I figured 10 or 12 a day should be great for a person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health