Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 06:09 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times

Advertisements

^^^^^ My father wasn't a regular (daily/weekly) type drunk, tho he did drink every day.

The problem was when he mixed beer and liquor which turned him into a violent person determined to murder my mother. When those occasions happened, my two sisters and I had to rescue Mom from his attack and then somehow get the heck out of the house, no matter what time of day or year, rain or shine.

It had a profound affect on my sisters and me. My sisters picked up the drink, I did not. But I still had the behavior of a drunk.

I encourage you to take that first step. It might save your life, your relationship with your kids and your wife.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 06:15 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
I am wondering if the original post is for real.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:25 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Probably. I know a few functional alcoholics that are looking to be validated or start an anonymous debate and not have anyone point out a legitimate flaw in their thinking, or at least not one they will admit. I used to do that. I thought it was a harmless escape or at least I wanted to believe I thought that. I would post stuff inviting a challenge and always feeling like no one gave me a good reason to stop. There is a reasonable chance someone close to him is trying to get him to change and he wants to convince himself they are wrong.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:48 PM

51 posts, read 43,947 times
Quote:
Yes it is. Out of curiosity why would it not be real?

Old 08-02-2018, 06:52 PM

I basically was hoping someone would say something to make me snap out of it. And you guys and gals have really came through. I feel much better and got alot of eye opening. I welcome 100 more replies I love reading them. Not sure why anything would think I was making this up.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:00 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I have not read everything here and if the post is real ... then I feel for your wife and kids and what they have to live with. You have no idea how a clear mind can be...save yourself bud. And your family.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:10 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Mcdman88[/b];52685322]I basically was hoping someone would say something to make me snap out of it. And you guys and gals have really came through. I feel much better and got alot of eye opening. I welcome 100 more replies I love reading them. Not sure why anything would think I was making this up.

Reading all the replies to your OP will not change anything. YOU are the only one who can change things. Don't fool yourself, you are not fooling us.

Now it's up to you to stop fooling yourself, trying to fool everyone else, and get HONEST.

Alcoholics are great deceivers and they like to say what they think others will "like to hear."

Actions speak louder than words.

Good luck.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:17 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Hopefully OP gets help and reports back here with a success story of having turned their life around.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Hopefully OP gets help and reports back here with a success story of having turned their life around.
I hope so. I understand there has to be a change. I love my family

Old 08-02-2018, 07:20 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdman88 View Post
When I don't drink in the evenings I'm in a terrible mood and a a hole to my family for no reason.
Part of that is just withdrawal and will go away once you kick it.

But realistically, yes, without the alcohol you will probably need to find other activities and techniques for regulating your mood, because you won't be insulated from everything. That is good, because you won't be insulated from all the joys of life, and you will be able to present emotionally and intellectually when your kids need you. But yes, you will need to work on dealing with irritations, boredom, etc. I would start thinking now about activities that you enjoy that are productive and healthy and good for you and your family, that also elevate your mood. You'll have time to fill now that used to be filled by alcohol.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to see a counselor, especially one that specializes in addiction recovery, to learn healthy coping mechanisms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health