Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 11:06 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

Can't seem to get into a movie or a book....just can't concentrate. I do ok with tv shows but at times even that doesn't hold my attention.

I tend to think it medication related, I take so many, 4 psych meds.

But just a few months ago I was reading several books a week....miss that. Anyone ever lose concentration skills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 11:31 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Can't seem to get into a movie or a book....just can't concentrate. I do ok with tv shows but at times even that doesn't hold my attention.

But just a few months ago I was reading several books a week....miss that. Anyone ever lose concentration skills?
Yes, periodically. I finally realized there was usually some especially stressful or emotional situation going on at the time. Something that shook up the day-to-day "steady state" I'd learned to expect and count on. As if a portion of the mental energy "bank account" I could normally draw upon to focus on something had gotten derailed, sidetracked. When the situation resolved itself or got diffused enough to become background noise again, I found my concentration came back. I used to fight this, trying to force myself to keep focusing, but it never really worked that well. Once I let it drop, allowed myself to drift more for the time being, it seemed to help. Sometimes that would help clarify just what was causing the inability to concentrate. Let it come closer to the surface if that makes any sense.

Going through something like this at the moment due to some bad biopsy results. Unfortunately I've been here before, recognize the emotional signs, and have been in a position to learn that lesson. If it means TV is the only way to make time tolerable, so be it. There are certainly worse ways to spend the time. I could be standing on the side of a road threatening drivers instead of watching Turner Classic Movie channel broadcast of old Joan Crawford melodramas. Thank goodness they hadn't scheduled a bunch of foreign language films with tiny illegible subtitles!

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-01-2018 at 12:05 PM..

Old 09-01-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yes, periodically. I finally realized there was usually some especially stressful or emotional situation going on at the time. Something that shook up the day-to-day "steady state" I'd learned to expect and count on. As if a portion of the mental energy "bank account" I could normally draw upon to focus on something had gotten derailed, sidetracked. When the situation resolved itself or got diffused enough to become background noise again, I found my concentration came back. I used to fight this, trying to force myself to keep focusing, but it never really worked that well. Once I let it drop, allowed myself to drift more for the time being, it seemed to help. Sometimes that would help clarify just what was causing the inability to concentrate. Let it come closer to the surface if that makes any sense.

Going through something like this at the moment due to some bad biopsy results. Unfortunately I've been here before, recognize the emotional signs, and have been in a position to learn that lesson. If it means TV is the only way to make time tolerable, so be it. There are certainly worse ways to spend the time. I could be standing on the side of a road threatening drivers instead of watching Turner Classic Movie channel broadcast of old Joan Crawford melodramas. Thank goodness they hadn't scheduled a bunch of foreign language films with tiny illegible subtitles!

So you watched Joan on TCM last night too!

Sorry for your test results, it's disheartening, I know. Hope that all can work out for you....waiting is so hard.

lol, yes tv is better than beating the window of a bus with a tire iron!

I know how to just let it surface....will do. Might not change anything but I'll be more conscious of what's going on...

Have a pleasant evening....might be back on TCM tonight, who knows...

Old 09-01-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
So you watched Joan on TCM last night too!

Sorry for your test results, it's disheartening, I know. Hope that all can work out for you....waiting is so hard.
Yep. There are reasons the classics are the classics. They fill a need, no matter how superficial. Could have been worse. Like 24 hours of Broadway musicals. No way that would have been bearable! Watching people pretend to be happy, interrupting the storyline with singing and dancing. Bleh. Have to admit that TCM is "there for you no matter what."

Thank you for the kind thoughts. I am not waiting...I know. The distraction is over what step to take next, what I really feel the desire to do. Probably a good thing I can't actually arrange anything over the long holiday weekend anyway.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-01-2018 at 02:01 PM..

Old 09-01-2018, 01:02 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Quote:

Sometimes you just need a break....even from things you enjoy. Try something new, and different. Maybe you are just getting bored, with the same old. Get outside for some excerise, stop and smell the flowers

Old 09-01-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yep. There are reasons the classics are the classics. They fill a need, no matter how superficial. Could have been worse. Like 24 hours of Broadway musicals. No way that would have been bearable! Watching people pretend to be happy, interrupting the storyline with singing and dancing. Bleh. Have to admit that TCM is "there for you no matter what."

Thank you for the kind thoughts. I am not waiting...I know. The distraction is over what step to take next, what I really feel the desire to do. Probably a good thing I can't actually arrange anything over the long holiday weekend anyway.

Oh, I see....must be hard to come to a health crossroad, forced to make some kind of decision.
Hope the right decision finds the way to you and you can be at peace with it....

Old 09-02-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Oh, I see....must be hard to come to a health crossroad, forced to make some kind of decision.
Hope the right decision finds the way to you and you can be at peace with it....
Thank you!

Old 09-04-2018, 02:08 PM

301 posts, read 189,317 times
I hope you find relief from this soon. I can definitely relate. I used to spend all my free time reading. It was my favorite activity and favorite way to avoid other responsibilities. Nothing made me happier!

Now, I'm lucky to pick up a book at all, let alone finish it. Maybe mention it next time you visit your doctor. Your meds might need adjusting.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
I hope you find relief from this soon. I can definitely relate. I used to spend all my free time reading. It was my favorite activity and favorite way to avoid other responsibilities. Nothing made me happier!

Now, I'm lucky to pick up a book at all, let alone finish it. Maybe mention it next time you visit your doctor. Your meds might need adjusting.
Yeah....we adjusted last time so I could focus better....it's one particular med that seems to do it.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:48 PM

301 posts, read 189,317 times
Quote:
Yeah....we adjusted last time so I could focus better....it's one particular med that seems to do it.
Hmmm. Bummer that the adjustment didn't help. I don't know what your particular struggle(s) is, but I felt significantly better on Adderall vs. Vyvanse as far as being able to enjoy "down" time activities. I am able to focus on what I need to at the time, don't too often fall into hyper-fixation in a debilitating way, and my sleep and anxiety are both well controlled. I've found the medicine sweet spot in that my quality of life is what it should be.

Medications can be such a double-edged sword and adjusting to changes even more so! I wish you luck. I had it relatively easy in that we settled on a dose + frequency within 6 months. Apparently, that's pretty fast for these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health