Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 05:55 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,954,574 times

Advertisements

I lost my job about a year ago, it was a long process and it initially sparked some pretty high anxiety. My job was rather specific so I knew I'd likely be unemployed a while, ended up being about 9 months before I found a new job. I really like my new job, pays well, close to home, and I'm good at it. My wife also recently received a large promotion. We have no children, own our home, really didn't take on much debt at all while I was out of work. Overall we are in a very good place, but ever since I originally realized my old job was in jeopardy I've had anxiety. Even now having been at my new job a few months, wife's raise, being in a great place overall, I still wake up with mild anxiety and can't seem to shake it. Even when I really think about everything, look at the numbers, I just can't seem to make it go away.. It will gradually dissipate through the course of the day and is normally gone by lunch.

Anyone ever go through anything similar? Did it eventually go away, or was something sparked and now I just suffer from anxiety? Thinking about talking to my Dr about a low dose of Ativan for the mornings, though I know it's habit forming. Is it best to just give it another month or 2 to see if I adjust to the new normal? Its not debilitating, just super uncomfortable and wakes me up about an hour early.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 09:18 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I lost my job about a year ago, it was a long process and it initially sparked some pretty high anxiety. My job was rather specific so I knew I'd likely be unemployed a while, ended up being about 9 months before I found a new job. I really like my new job, pays well, close to home, and I'm good at it. My wife also recently received a large promotion. We have no children, own our home, really didn't take on much debt at all while I was out of work. Overall we are in a very good place, but ever since I originally realized my old job was in jeopardy I've had anxiety. Even now having been at my new job a few months, wife's raise, being in a great place overall, I still wake up with mild anxiety and can't seem to shake it. Even when I really think about everything, look at the numbers, I just can't seem to make it go away.. It will gradually dissipate through the course of the day and is normally gone by lunch.

Anyone ever go through anything similar? Did it eventually go away, or was something sparked and now I just suffer from anxiety? Thinking about talking to my Dr about a low dose of Ativan for the mornings, though I know it's habit forming. Is it best to just give it another month or 2 to see if I adjust to the new normal? Its not debilitating, just super uncomfortable and wakes me up about an hour early.

If it was me I think I'd ask my MD about finding a counselor to discuss what you are experiencing. It may not be "permanent anxiety" (which IMHO is pervasive and debilitating) and maybe what you need are techniques to put the memory of your job loss and the subsequent stress behind you. Could be a habit of thinking, a mild sort of PTSD. A medication without support might not provide the result you really want. There are also less heavy-handed substances that may help anxiety you might consider.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:15 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,560,555 times
Eric, I'm not qualified to know what's best for your situation.. but I wanna mention an additional option for morning anxiety.. exercise is a well documented aid for temporarily relieving (not curing) anxiety. If u have the time & weather, maybe a morning bike ride or jog could help (?) It may also exhaust u enough to help recuperate your daily loss of sleep.
Good luck brother..

Old 09-20-2018, 10:40 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
No doctor here, but things seem pretty good in your life now. Why not learn some meditation or work with some alternative anxiety "calmers".. and I agree some exercise or even some good stretching workouts. I've been in this life a long time and gone thru many jobs and it all works out and it did for me...fear only plugs one up. Live in the present.

https://www.healthline.com/health/an...ive-treatments

Why do Americans run for a drug?

Last edited by jaminhealth; 09-20-2018 at 10:53 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 02:10 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,954,574 times
Follow up: a friend of mine recommended CBD oil. Been on it 2 months now and my anxiety is gone. Could be a coincidence as I’m also sleeping better, but either way I’m a total believer in this stuff now!

Old 04-17-2019, 10:41 AM

8,147 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Thanks for your update. Just another thought.... probably contributing factors to your anxiety was just starting a new job and realizing how vulnerable you are if the new job doesn’t work out. I do suggest that now — while you are in a good place — start considering how to expand your skills, explore new fields of career or build a consulting model to be able to market yourself. Or possibly create applications of your specialty so that in the future you will be more fluid and have more options when its time to change jobs. Years ago, I was very specialized in an industry and believed I had limited options if my job went away. For personal reasons (my husband’s in-home hospice) I took a long leave and when I was ready to return to work I found ways to reapply my skills, learn new ones, and start my own consulting business. It worked out very well for me once I allowed myself some creativity and new learnings.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:16 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
I'll tell you, I've been through this way too much. Last time was during the recession. I was out of work for 2 years! Talk about anxiety! I had to go on klonopin. It did go away, but it was at least 2 years after I landed a job. Klonopin definitely helped with sleep though. Meditation is another idea that nobody has suggested. I'd recommend a free guided one, 10 minutes a day in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health