Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 01:59 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Dude I too know how the depression and the eating can go together - I'm carting around 50 extra pounds right now, mostly due to comfort bingeing. Self-care like you described is great, but what I think would really help is to go for a walk. I am exhausted a lot of the time for no damn reason and I am at an age in my 40s where I TREASURE my sleep. But often I am surprised at how much just going for a walk with my dog lifts my mood.

You didn't mention whether you got your bloodwork done. Please do that if you haven't. I was full-on suicidal and in a constant meltdown for MONTHS, and it was caused ENTIRELY by a vitamin D deficiency. It doesn't affect most people that badly, but with my particular wiring it put me over the edge. It could be something similar for you, maybe not Vitamin D but something else. Something might be affecting you more than it would the general population.

Also, have you ever been evaluated for a learning disability? I have severe ADD, and while like you I am very creative and did quite well academically, I am capable of procrastinating to a RIDICULOUS degree.

But please, get out and do something. I know you feel like you're moving under water, but once you take the first steps to becoming more active, it does become easier. You are not lazy, but you are weighed down by 15 years of depression. When was the last time you tried the "fake it til you make it" approach? That tends to be one of the things that keeps me on an even keel. I tell myself at the start of the day "This will be a happy day" and then I just make sure to sprinkle moments of appreciation into my day. Savor the tea I'm drinking, enjoy the cloudless sky, read a funny book and admire the writing - that kind of thing. It sounds stupid cheesy, but it really does lift my mood.

A journal would be helpful to - write down what mood you're in and why. Track your emotions, your accomplishments, your tasks - I do this too. The satisfaction I get from scratching things off my list or putting any accomplishment, no matter how small, onto paper is kind of embarrassing, but I go with it. And having what I need to get done written down in front of me makes me feel in control and ready to move forward.

You've been existing, and you're terribly unhappy. Try to push through what's weighing you down to take some thoughtful action. What is the worst that could happen? What do you have to lose by making one big surge of effort to improve your situation?

Take a walk. Set up a therapy appointment. Write down some goals to work toward. The next day, do a little more. Baby steps.

I'll be blunt. THis happiness crap is a ton of work. I was bullied and depressed for much of my childhood. My mother was emotionally abusive, and I had SUCH low self esteem (self loathing, really) it was ridiculous. I have spent the last 20 years carefully building a world where I can maintain my happiness. I've trimmed away the toxic people. I moved to another part of the country and eventually bought a house. I built a career through sheer force of will. I've got dogs and a cat to keep me moving forward every day with their needs. I participate in activities with my dogs every week. I joined a writer's group (VERY rewarding). I have filled my house with things I dearly love - books, pets, good tea, fuzzy blankets, etc. But I have also been building a community with friends and family that is very supportive. I'm still fat, socially awkward to the max and a total scatterbrain, but I am happy. I can feel myself teetering on the edge of depression and anxiety every day, but I give the cat a snuggle and check my to-do list, then write down something good in my life and push away the awful thoughts. Oh, and I take my zoloft and see my therapist.

Please do seek out professional guidance, just to get you out of this rut. You can only do so much on your own, and medication alone will not fix the problem. Medication paired with therapy could do quite a bit.
I thought I was officially diagnosed with ADHD seeing how I was on all kinds of ADHD medicine as a child, but my mom said I wasn’t. My ADHD medicine never helped me stop spacing out though, and they always came with horrific side effects. Then right before I hit puberty, I got hit with depression on top of the ADHD (or whatever) that I already had, and I’ve suffered with both problems simultaneously the past 15 years. No medicine helps the depression, either.

The diagnosis I got as a preschooler was “Static encephalopathy”, since I was a bit spacey as a toddler and always daydreaming and playing pretend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 02:33 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I don't doubt it....have benefited greatly from the addition of hydrocodone to medication regimen, though it is prescribed for chronic pain and not specifically for depression. Imagine my surprise when I received the improvement with depression. However, it did not help as much as the addition of Abilify and Seroquel in low doses. That's what finally brought me to a good spot.

The only issue came from taking occasional Klonopin and Phentermine...with the hydrocodone. At one drs. office during an appt. I totally blanked out, not fainting, just lost myself for a period of time...scary. Came back to while staring at the MD's shoes...didn't remember what if anything had happened. Not taking those 3 in conjunction again unless I'm at home.

But hydrocodone worth a try...if you can find someone willing to prescribe it.

Everybody is different. Results can't be predicted, but trial & error and adjustments of meds is necessary to get the desired result. That's particularly true with "poly-pharmacy." It's not unusual for depression to go hand in hand with anxiety- treatment of one calls for "uppers" while treatment of the other calls for "downers"-- seemingly paradoxical- but final results depends on the right combination-- like driving with one foot on the accelerator and the other on the brake- how fast you go depends on the how hard you're pressing each pedal.

It sounds like you had an Absence Attack (formerly called Petit Mal Seizure)- an independent problem or caused by withdrawal of a sedating med or by excessive sedating drug (less likely- you'd expect lethargy & gradual recovery from that) or by unusual reaction to a psycho-active drug?

We're dealing with a very complex biological system here. We can't expect a simple, one-drug-always works-well solution.

The ethics of my last post was questioned. I disagree. What is unethical is the withholding of effective treatment from deserving patients by a profession entrusted with the task of relieving their suffering simply because uninformed politicians are seeking approval in pubic opinion polls. Over-regulating the use of narcotics to prevent over-doses is like regulating razor blades to prevent suicide. Maybe they oughta be looking at underlying causes?

Old 11-04-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Everybody is different. Results can't be predicted, but trial & error and adjustments of meds is necessary to get the desired result. That's particularly true with "poly-pharmacy." It's not unusual for depression to go hand in hand with anxiety- treatment of one calls for "uppers" while treatment of the other calls for "downers"-- seemingly paradoxical- but final results depends on the right combination-- like driving with one foot on the accelerator and the other on the brake- how fast you go depends on the how hard you're pressing each pedal.

It sounds like you had an Absence Attack (formerly called Petit Mal Seizure)- an independent problem or caused by withdrawal of a sedating med or by excessive sedating drug (less likely- you'd expect lethargy & gradual recovery from that) or by unusual reaction to a psycho-active drug?

We're dealing with a very complex biological system here. We can't expect a simple, one-drug-always works-well solution.

The ethics of my last post was questioned. I disagree. What is unethical is the withholding of effective treatment from deserving patients by a profession entrusted with the task of relieving their suffering simply because uninformed politicians are seeking approval in pubic opinion polls. Over-regulating the use of narcotics to prevent over-doses is like regulating razor blades to prevent suicide. Maybe they oughta be looking at underlying causes?
I always thought the C1 and C2 drugs should be moved to the C3 category, so they can be more easily proscribed and researched.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:01 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

The one-time mix of Klonopin, Phentermine (only to combat weight gain from antidepressants) and hydrocodone was what sent me into the "Absence Attack"...won't take that mix again if it can be helped....Klonopin is used only occasionally.

I support the use of hydrocodone for depression...from experience. Just because there is a segment of the population that abuse opioids is no reason to keep a helpful medication from those who could greatly benefit. There is a great deal of frustration when searching for medications and treatments for depression...any such improvement that helps should be offered to all suffering patients when appropriate.

Thanks Guido...

Old 12-08-2018, 03:06 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I thought I was officially diagnosed with ADHD seeing how I was on all kinds of ADHD medicine as a child, but my mom said I wasn’t. My ADHD medicine never helped me stop spacing out though, and they always came with horrific side effects. Then right before I hit puberty, I got hit with depression on top of the ADHD (or whatever) that I already had, and I’ve suffered with both problems simultaneously the past 15 years. No medicine helps the depression, either.

The diagnosis I got as a preschooler was “Static encephalopathy”, since I was a bit spacey as a toddler and always daydreaming and playing pretend.
Quote:
I do my work half-heartedly and sometimes miss deadlines. I spend all day most every day thinking about 2 things: How hungry I am and how much I want to go to sleep. I’ve put on a lot of weight, I eat more, and I can only stay awake 9 hours before I’m so exhausted I need to find somewhere to sleep.

I used to be very creative and quick witted. I was asked to take an IQ test in High School that showed I was in the top 5% of the world, I got a 32 on the ACT, and a 2200 on the old SAT. I also published a few fiction books and won some awards for my writing, painting, and animation.

Interestingly, I have noticed some very limited results from Ibuprofen. It doesn’t cure the depression, and my mood is still pretty low, but I feel like I have a tad more energy after taking 800 milligrams of Ibubrofen. The difference is subtle, but its the only thing I’ve ever taken that’s done anything besides make the dysthymia worse.

The tiredness is by far the worst aspect of the depression for me. I just randomly fall asleep places.
Woah. This sounds familiar (I isolated down to what stood out to me).

I’m ADD/ASD with atypical Hyperlexia. My only psych diagnosis is PTSD from an event that happened 24 years ago. I’m supposedly high IQ, partial to fantasy /fairy tales, have zero concept of time & a history of chronic fatigue.

I have the mutation on the SERT gene that causes the atypical metabolism of 25% of market pharmaceuticals, as well as MTHFR variants. I don’t have Rett Syndrome but my MECP2 gene is “reverse to the genome” & I am the only person in the world, so far; to have this particular anomaly. Then there is my CRY1 gene with circadian rhythm variants.

I’ve never been diagnosed with clinical depression but the bone-crushing, adrenal-crash-like fatigue can be very depressing.

The only thing I have & would take is old-school amphetamine-based stimulants. I’m not an a plan right now because I max out on them so quickly but most alternative therapeutics that could be prescribed are on that list of drugs I don’t metabolize.

I do know why & what prompted this for me but your static encephalopathy diagnosis is ... curious. There is usually a known event. Many times it is accompanied by intellectual disability &/or motor skill impairment but you don’t allude to that. I think your symptoms are related to neuroinflammation; thus, the improvement with Ibuprofen.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Woah. This sounds familiar (I isolated down to what stood out to me).

I’m ADD/ASD with atypical Hyperlexia. My only psych diagnosis is PTSD from an event that happened 24 years ago. I’m supposedly high IQ, partial to fantasy /fairy tales, have zero concept of time & a history of chronic fatigue.

I have the mutation on the SERT gene that causes the atypical metabolism of 25% of market pharmaceuticals, as well as MTHFR variants. I don’t have Rett Syndrome but my MECP2 gene is “reverse to the genome” & I am the only person in the world, so far; to have this particular anomaly. Then there is my CRY1 gene with circadian rhythm variants.

I’ve never been diagnosed with clinical depression but the bone-crushing, adrenal-crash-like fatigue can be very depressing.

The only thing I have & would take is old-school amphetamine-based stimulants. I’m not an a plan right now because I max out on them so quickly but most alternative therapeutics that could be prescribed are on that list of drugs I don’t metabolize.

I do know why & what prompted this for me but your static encephalopathy diagnosis is ... curious. There is usually a known event. Many times it is accompanied by intellectual disability &/or motor skill impairment but you don’t allude to that. I think your symptoms are related to neuroinflammation; thus, the improvement with Ibuprofen.
I responded to this in no particular order:

I knew how to read before my mom knew I could read. I remember reading the newspaper when my dad was still alive. My dad died when I was 3. I would say I couldn’t read when asked because I had the idea in my head for some reason I should keep my ability to read a secret. A few days after starting kindergarten, I admitted I could read. I don’t remember wear I got the idea the ability to read should be kept secret, but I kept my secret very seriously.

As far as motor skill impairment goes, I’m slightly clumsy, but not to the point it causes me serious issues. I just bump into things more than most people and trip and break things slightly more often. I’d say my gross motor skills are slightly impaired, but my fine motor skills are fine and probably above average given how I was in gifted art classes growing up and can sketch anything I’ve seen realistically.

I’d be interested in getting whatever test you got. We sound similar and if something helped you, it might help me.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:17 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I have also tried quite a few ADs, both prescription and alternative/OTC, did not really seem to be that helpful if any...........YMMV.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:11 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
This is a time in my life when relatively good things are happening to me, but I still feel horrible everyday. I've had issues with dysthymia the last 15 years. I've tried every medicine they make and tried therapy. Nothing ever makes a difference. What alternative treatments are there?
Didn't work for either, my psychiatrist encouraged me to try the spiritual path and it worked.
That was 15 yrs ago and I never looked back.

I would NOT try any mushroom or chemical that seeks to simulate the spiritual experience, it's non valid .
Nothing beats the real thing.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Didn't work for either, my psychiatrist encouraged me to try the spiritual path and it worked.
That was 15 yrs ago and I never looked back.

I would NOT try any mushroom or chemical that seeks to simulate the spiritual experience, it's non valid .
Nothing beats the real thing.
I’m fairly sure from what I’ve seen our existence is incidental—the only meaning that exists are the subjective meanings we manage to pull together. As far as my subjective values—I value my freedom and ability to follow my whims, but most everything else is pretty empty and shallow to me.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:15 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Neuropsychiatrist.

I've been bounced around from MD to therapist to neurologist and it wasn't until I finally found a GOOD neuropsychiatriatic clinic that I felt someone was looking at the big picture. It was an entire day process.

I have pretty much had to demand that MDs follow up on chem levels of various things in my blood...they tend to shrug off when things are a 'little low'.

(I am not just suffering from cyclothymia, I also have chronic headaches.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health